Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:19 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
For me it was Moorea at French Polynesia. There is no security control, great south sea feeling.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Anyone ever been through LYH in Virginia? They don't even let anyone through security until 20 mins before departure or sometimes they wait until the plane lands......smaller that CHO. DL and US serve it---long runway so DL can get a CRJ-100 in and out but US upgrade from the Beechcraft to 32 seat Dash-8s. 2 gates (well doors) 1 jetway that was built but has never been used in the history of the airport f rom what I understand. I loved showing up 20 minutes before my flight and still have 15 minutes to spare!!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:11 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Toronto City Centre - from ferry to seat in under 10 minutes, including check-in and security.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:25 am

XQP - Quepos, Costa Rica

1 small open shack, 1 grassy runway, Sansa flying a 12 paxs Cessna Grand Caravan about 3-4 times a day from/to San Jose.

Security? - what's that

The 2 pilots looked like they were still in high school,

but the 1/2 hour flight sure beats the tortuous drive to the capital city.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
YBK, YRT, YCS, YXN, YEK. All very small in Arctic Canada (Nunavut). A couple were paved, several were gravel.

The float plane bases in Kuujuac, Quebec and Yellowknife, NWT had wooden docks and little else
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: DM/3MM
TEX is fairly tiny.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
So I'm off to IYK tomorrow for work.
I think for me this will be the smallest North American airport I've been to yet, although I expect that to be topped(sic) by CHO, which we'll be flying into later this summer for my brother's wedding.
Don't think of IYK as small... think of it as HISTORIC!

When Saab, Volkswagen, and other car companies need pictures of their cars racing across a dusty plain, runway 28 is where they film it.

Which brings up another important point -- three runways, all dirt.

It also used to be a drag racing strip until a couple of years ago.

As for the topic at hand, I can't compete with most people as the smallest airport with scheduled service I've been to is CRW. But when I was a kid, my father used to take me to N82 all the time.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:54 am

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Sioux City, IA

At the time (pre 9/11), there was no security screening at SUX (yes, that really is the airport code). We were screened after we landed in MSP for the connecting flight.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
A couple of years ago, we flew into Wuyishan, China (WUS) on a modern 737-700. The airport consisted of one old, open-air building situated on a minor highway. When I say "on", I mean on. The bus was parked at the curb of the "terminal". The terminal was a building on the street! The baggage was brought into the one unlit room. Quite amazing.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: ex-NW, now DL FO, AA, AC
Mine has to be BJI. two "gates" that were just doors out onto the tarmac; no security--you had to clear in MSP before they let you into the terminal. But otherwise quite nice for a small municipal airport.

There were a couple others that had no scheduled commercial service and only a short grass runway--truly air _fields_

-ww
Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
No tower or "airport" but there's a dirt strip near a great point break in Baja. It's a crazy short runway with a bit of a dip in the middle. Used to be used by the Mexican military. I would tell you where it is but my surf buddies have sworn me to secrecy. Sometimes the pebbles from the sand get sucked up and ding the props. The first time we landed there I was a bit freaked out--but now that I've done it a few times, I'm down with it.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: Super-Titanium member of the Gate Roach program. :P
X21- Arthur Dunn Airport in Titusville, FL. It has no gates or regular service. I've taken off from that airport, but I haven't landed there- at least not in an airplane. I ended up jumping from the plane with another guy who had a parachute- intentionally. :P

It's an airport designed mainly for small-plane owners and skydivers.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
LNS - Lancaster, PA. Not sure if it has changed since last year (I heard CO is supposed to start service) but they get three flights in and three flights out per day. All US. All PIT-LNS. Very nice airport though.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:46 pm

Salisbury, MD-SBY
Its actually a crew base for one of US Airways commuter carriers. Nice little airport takes no more than 30 seconds from plane to car.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by jcherney
Here's a link to a picture of that Saba airport and runway:

http://www.airliners.net/photos/phot.../0/0490051.jpg

It's worth the look...

Edit: looks like they've put a new building up since I was there last.
Overshooting a runway is always a bad thing, but it is particularly bad at Saba.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.