Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
The folks in Quepos DREAM of having a tiny luggage carousel. Bags there are taken off the plane and placed on the ground next to the plane, where the passengers collect them.

Frankly, at DOM, they might as well do the same!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A new one for me this week, Columbus, GA (CSG). Just three flights on DL from ATL a day. There's a gate with a jetway and then downstairs a ground level gate to board the CRJ-200. However, the ground level gate lacks a computer or scanner so someone goes upstairs to the main gate, brings down a manifest and each passenger gives their name as they board. Their name is then checked off on the list and they're allowed to board. Quite the system.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by CMK10
A new one for me this week, Columbus, GA (CSG). Just three flights on DL from ATL a day. There's a gate with a jetway and then downstairs a ground level gate to board the CRJ-200. However, the ground level gate lacks a computer or scanner so someone goes upstairs to the main gate, brings down a manifest and each passenger gives their name as they board. Their name is then checked off on the list and they're allowed to board. Quite the system.
I've flown out of CSG. ^
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
Depending how we’re defining regularly scheduled service? Probably YMDV (Mount Davies, APY lands South Australia). Has a weekly/twice weekly milk run in a Cessna caravan, tickets were $300 a go when I did it
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
What we're probably looking at is "What is the smallest airport" because Flyertalkers are everywhere. Candidates include heliports. Those are often just a concrete pad. Another candidate is the small airstrip without commercial service. Yet another candidate is the very small airport with commercial service. Barra Airport in Scotland, which uses the beach as a runway, may be a strong candidate. A little larger are airfields like Alderney, Channel Islands. In the US, airports like MHK Manhattan, Kansas are small but there are smaller ones with airline service.

In terms of area, LCY London City is small but it's busy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec club
Trieste (Trs) Italy, Saab 2000 from Rome operated by Etihad express. Despite being that small has a small priority pass unstaffed lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ukeurotraveller
Trieste (Trs) Italy, Saab 2000 from Rome operated by Etihad express. Despite being that small has a small priority pass unstaffed lounge.
I used Lugano (LUG), Switzerland this year which was pretty similar. Just Saab 2000s on Swiss operated by Adria from ZRH.
Ukeurotraveller likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I've flown out of CSG. ^
I’ve flown in and out of CSG as well. Memory is not serving me well as to which airport it was where the GA had to literally push the uneccessary jet bridge into position. It might have been CSG. GNV’s gate area is very small. Four gates, only two or three are actually used I believe, and the bronze gator is awesome. AGS is the biggest small airport I’ve ever been in. It must be a ghost town except for those two weeks in April.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Scheduling didn't work to fly into SAF, alas. We did pick up & drop off a friend there recently though:
Pictures here.
Coming back to this thread I see I failed to add a momentous update. I have now flown into SAF. The pilot announced he was taxiing in to Gate 1, but he might as well have just said "gate". There's only one, and no jet-bridge.

SAF Baggage Claim

As of last week, my wife has now flown both in AND out of SAF. Lucky girl! Her bag didn't make the inbound flight so UA sent it on the much later flight and she picked it up the next day. There's apparently an extremely hot space heater in the baggage storage are there; not only was her suitcase's shell distorted, but some herb capsules inside it were melted.

Last edited by ajGoes; Feb 18, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
GYAA, Bolivia.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
The smallest Airports I've every flown into are MOZ and BOB, Moorea and Bora Bora respectively. Very small airports but it was awesome
I flew in and out of MOZ in 1977 when the landing strip was grass. We stayed at the Bali Hai. The ride to the hotel was in the back of a flat-bed truck.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta, United
I once flew into an airport that was so small the wind sock was a literally a sock.
MEABFlyer and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
SZS(Ryans Creek/Stewart Island) the terminal is in town and a shuttle drives you upto the hill that the field is on.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tvtd

I’ve flown in and out of CSG as well. Memory is not serving me well as to which airport it was where the GA had to literally push the uneccessary jet bridge into position. It might have been CSG. GNV’s gate area is very small. Four gates, only two or three are actually used I believe, and the bronze gator is awesome. AGS is the biggest small airport I’ve ever been in. It must be a ghost town except for those two weeks in April.
I believe that's CSG. In the old days Delta would run DC-9-30s on the route which may explain the jetway. Now it's just CRJ-200s they park on the ramp.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
In the US, it was the original LYH terminal back in the early 1990's. There were three "gates" but it was one doorway and you walked to one of three parking pads. Baggage was delivered to a concrete "stand" right outside the terminal. Don't remember there being any amenities other than bathrooms and vending machines inside.

Internationally, it has to be JUH (Chizhou Jiuhaushan Airport) in Anhui Province China. It was a buisness trip and I might have been the first foreigner through there based on the looks I got. Not too many flights a day at the time since it had been newly opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.