Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest airport you've ever flown into?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:28 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
RKD - from there US goes to BOS, BHB and AUG. The Airport itself is not that tiny as it also houses a museum (cars!) and many private planes seem to be coming in, but the actual terminal is just a large shed...
ENF - just one room with check-in desk, waiting area and security. When you arrive, you just pick up your luggage from a cart and walk through a gate.

edit: just remembered, the museum at RKD also exhibits some old planes, among them a replica of the Wright brothers' first plane...

Last edited by txl; Mar 20, 2007 at 2:00 am
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:41 am

MON - Mt. Cook NZ
MKK - Molokai
LNY - Lanai
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by stut
KKE - Kerikeri (Bay of Islands) in NZ. The captain was the baggage handler.

The bit that surprised me most, though, was that there was no security.
No security on prop flights in NZ. KKE airport is bigger (and has more flights) than some around the country.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:59 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Nazca, Peru

Moorea, Tahiti
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Pbg (us Be1)
Fnt (pi 737)
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
OAX (Oaxaca in Mexico) - very small airport. Flew out of there on a Cessna Grand Caravan.

Possibly even smaller is KGC - Kingscote on Kangaroo Island, which is an island not far from Adelaide. There was no security, and the flight was on a Saab 340. The seats had - I kid you not - sheepskin cover coats.

SmilingBoy.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No security on prop flights in NZ. KKE airport is bigger (and has more flights) than some around the country.
Actually, if you count MFN and NZGY, I suppse I have landed at smaller airports than that...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Not only the smallest airport, but one of the very most interesting destinations we have visited in the past few years, was Barrow, AK (BRW-WileyPost/Will Rogers). Basically just a room with a door out to the tarmac.

Check out the baggage loader.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:51 am

Slightly OT... what is "small"?

What is people's definition of "small"?

Runway length? Total area? Size of the terminal building? Or is it just a general thing of "This airport feels small"?

I fly into Alderney (ACI) in the British Channel Islands on a regular basis. The longest runway is just over 800m, though if the wind blows straight across it we sometimes use one of the grass runways which are much shorter. The terminal building is more like a shack. Scheduled services are operated by Islanders and Trislanders.

I have also been into Helgoland (HGL) where runway length is less than 500m. Quite an interesting experience!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:12 am

In the US - Kinston, North Carolina
In Europe - Pula, Croatia
In the Caribbean - North Eleuthera, Bahamas
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:16 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Bamaga (ABM) - the pointy bit at the top of Australia
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
AWK - Wake Island
MDY - Midway Island
PIB - Pine Belt just outside Hattiesburg, MS
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Barrow Alaska is a big airport compared to the one in Gustavas Alaska down by Glacier Bay. Nice runway, only one little building. A left over from WWII. I landed there in a 737 after a short flight from Juneau, Alaska. Been to Barrow and Deadhorse Alaska as well.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT
WYS is like this. But I think you have to enter the terminal when you arrive
That was the one I was going to mention. The difference between short and long term parking was the first or 2nd row of the gravel lot. The price was the same too, free.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
Yeah, FAT didn't strike me as all that small either. Okay, it's a regional, but they fly RJs in and out and has actual real gates.
CLD(Carlsbad, CA. about an hour from SAN) only had GA and UA Embraers and Beechcraft. We walked off the plane, walked into the terminal and had to wait for the guy with the go-cart to come around with our bags.
They could have just unloaded them there by the plane for us to pick up.

FAT strikes me as getting to be more like GPT or LAN.
The terminal FAT is definitely not small any more, even if it is bereft of actual passengers most of the time. Walking through the gate area feels like visiting a deserted palace belonging to occupants who departed long ago. Apparently, someone in the Central Valley had way too many tax $$$ burning a hole in their pants.

BED, while it lasted, was great. You actually walked in through the bottom level of the control tower, IIRC. Baggage was claimed from a cart that was driven out into the parking lot. True curbside service. Best of all, the parking was free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.