Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted landings. How common are pull-ups?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United Premier Silver, SPG Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I have had 2, both due to aircraft still on the runway. One was at MCO and the other at LHR. Nothing like flying TATL, doing a handful of laps in the hold, and having to climb again.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
I've had 3 aborted landing and all occurred on JAL and two were on the same flight. FWIW, I've only flown about 7-8 JAL flights in my life.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by pinworm
I fly weekly, and have a go around every few months...more rare are aborted take offs.

But I also live very near the airport in SAN, and witness several per week (and that's when I am home and looking, I imagine there are much more..SAN can be a troublesome approach)
Interesting. I can only recall one and it was on approach to SAN. It was LUV and of course, the pilot made a joke about it. He said there was 'debris' on the runway, requiring a go around. 'Debris' turned out to be a UA plane that hadn't cleared the runway.

PS -- Don't want to scare anybody here, but SAN is a very tricky approach.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I've had 2. One was a Sabena 747 from Brussels trying to land in Kinshasa, DR Congo in a rain storm. When he got under the clouds he had overshot the runway.

The other was a UA flight from BKK trying to land at NRT last year. Pulled up because cross winds were so bad apparently he couldn't control the aircraft. We then circled for nearly an hour waiting for the storm to pass.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Encountered a nasty aborted landing with an AB flight CPH to TXL last year. The plane seemed to be a few hundred feet above ground and coming in for a fast landing when the pilot aborted landing and sent the plane all the way back up to well over 15k feet and circled again for well over 20 minutes. Not much of an explanation was provided (even as I suspect it was a runway or flight path incursion) but I've never seen anything like it before in person when it comes to scheduled passenger flights.

I've had way more landings aborted than take-offs aborted; but I've had about the same number of nasty aborted landings as nasty aborted take-offs.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
In over 500 flights, I have had 1 go-around.

(Due to pilot error - which he admitted - ulp!)
Similar experience. Last go-around for me was more than 500 flights ago.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:40 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm assuming the OP means a go-around? It's pretty common, and nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:10 am

Just had two aborted landing attempts at JFK, flying from MAN on Thomas Cook. After second attempt we diverted to PHL. The weather was somewhat poor (MVFR) but wasn't too bumpy. The pilot said something about "too much traffic" both times. I checked later, many aircraft were landing at that time, although some were diverted to other airports without attempting landing, so the landing capacity must have been maxed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.