Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking Adderall / prescription drugs overseas?

Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Im not sure of the specific rules for travelling with adderall (an amphetamine) overseas. I was going to take just a couple with me in my wallet? Is it anything to be concerned about? I dont have the prescription on me but I dont want to risk losing my flight over something so silly. I would figure the only problem would be coming into the country rather than leaving the country. What if I put it in my suitcase?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not Adderall, but I've never had problems bringing prescription medicines with me overseas. The prescription is clearly labeled on the case and I've never encountered difficulties.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Don't try that entering Japan or Singapore. Rules vary country by country.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Adderall is more gutsy than anything else since it's a true amphetamine.

In Japan, Singapore and probably some other SE Asia nations, that's a ticket straight to a long term in jail even for a small amount.

Leaving the US is not an issue at all, it's going into the other country.

When in doubt, call the local consulate and ask them by name.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:55 pm

Wow, civicmon, I did not know the medication nor the restrictions the OP referenced but I think your advice is quite sound. I DO NOT TAKE CHANCES with ANY of the numerous cardiovascular, antiboitics, anti-virals, etc. meds I carry in my "travel ememrgency kit in that I always have them in labeled containers, etc as I do the ambien and valium that I travel with for "urgent use", each of which is prescribed, documented, etc.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
I would never take something overseas without the clearly labeled prescription container. I even take my thyroid and cholesterol meds in their original containers.

Take the bottle. It's small, and worth it if there is a problem.

You have to worry about customs in the country you are visiting, and their laws may be significantly different from ours.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:21 pm

Actually, even in this country, you can get into a whole heap of trouble if you carry prescription meds in something other than the container the pharmacy dispensed them in--with your name, Dr.'s name, etc. clearly printed on the label. Especially if those meds are scheduled drugs, LEOs tend to get pretty interested in you if you carry them in your wallet or backpocket.

In the case of prescription meds that your doc may have given you in his/her office--say samples the drug reps left--it's a good idea for the doc to write a prescription to accompany the drugs.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:31 pm

Ops, akdraith, sorry to have forgotten to officially welcome you to FlyerTalk.

Cheers
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
If I'm reading this correct, my method of just throwing some pills(and some may be controlled substances(1-2 percocet\1-2 soma or some other muscle relaxer, couple ambiens))into a script bottle is probably not a good idea if traveling over seas.
I've never had anyone look into any bottles in my shaving kit.
Is that routine???
Would they even know what they're looking at.
I'll need a much bigger kit if i have to carry 6-7 bottles with 2-3 tablets in each.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by windwalker
If I'm reading this correct, my method of just throwing some pills(and some may be controlled substances(1-2 percocet\1-2 soma or some other muscle relaxer, couple ambiens))into a script bottle is probably not a good idea if traveling over seas.
I've never had anyone look into any bottles in my shaving kit.
Is that routine???
Would they even know what they're looking at.
I'll need a much bigger kit if i have to carry 6-7 bottles with 2-3 tablets in each.
Is it routine? Not really. But any country has the right to inspect your luggage when you arrive for any reason before letting you in. How would it look if they find an unmarked bottle of random pills? While you may have a prescription for amphetamines, how are they supposed to know that if you don't have the original containers with your name on the prescription label? It would just look like you were smuggling drugs into the country. If they send the pills to the lab for analysis, you'll have a lot of explaining to do (not that they'll believe you anyway).
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by blonderengel
Actually, even in this country, you can get into a whole heap of trouble if you carry prescription meds in something other than the container the pharmacy dispensed them in--with your name, Dr.'s name, etc. clearly printed on the label. Especially if those meds are scheduled drugs, LEOs tend to get pretty interested in you if you carry them in your wallet or backpocket.

In the case of prescription meds that your doc may have given you in his/her office--say samples the drug reps left--it's a good idea for the doc to write a prescription to accompany the drugs.
It's technically illegal to posess prescription drugs that were not prescribed to you. The likelyhood is that in the US you won't get into trouble unless you're cought buying opiates or stimulants or something. Then they'll throw that on top. If it's typical-whatever meds, should't be an issue. Plus there's a big reference book that most LEOs have that compare the drugs.

Most meds, despite maybe not being approved on a country are typically ok, but if stopped with jarfulls of pills and no doctor notes or labels, expect a nice, long talk about what they are.

My friend is a vitamin junkie... he takes like 30 pills a day. We're at NRT which is sorta naive to this but if caught, you're going to be in the slammer for weeks before seeing a judge and making your first phone call.

So we're walking throwing customs and I declare nothing, and he puts his bag up and all the pills clankin around and asked "anything to declare?" and with a wide smile he says "nope!" and they let him go.

YMMV, he had no (known) illegal items in Japan. Just an FYI
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:37 pm

I take four different prescriptions. I put all the pills for the trip in container for pill number 1 and carry that on with me and then make sure that in my luggage I have the bottles for the other 3. That way I don't have to carry 4 containers with me.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
In addition to the a properly labeled prescription vial, you might want to take a printed, hand-signed letter from your physician describing exactly what medications you are taking and their purpose. In the event that you need to get a prescription filled overseas, the pharmacy or an authorized prescriber will have the contact information if you have the physician put this on their letterhead.

Laws vary widely from country to country, and most countries permit a pharmacist to dispense a certain emergency amount of medication, from 24 to 72 hours, to avoid a medical catastrophe. When I travel, I take signed prescriptions for a one-week supply just in case I need them filled. My physician is very good about that, and most will understand if you request.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Some countries have heavy fines for even a small amount of certain types of drugs. Also, medicines which may be sold over the counter in some countries are restricted drugs in others. Other drugs have a high value on the black market.

If you have a perscription for the drugs and you genuinely need them then take them with you but bring the 'script too. If you can do without them then you are better off to leave them behind, especially if the drug has a potential for a recreational use.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
A year ago my husband and I went to Greece and I know I told him about 4 times that non-prescription codeine is illegal there. I left my small stash of tylenol-and-codeine tablets that I buy in Canada at home. Dear husband walks up to Immigration with the corner of a plastic bag peeking out of his shirt pocket and the Immigration officer says, "what's that?". My husband cheerfully pulls the bag of pills (mostly vitamins but also including his stash of Vicodin just in case of back pain) and says, "They're my vitamins". Aargh.

It's a good thing he's 68 and conventional-looking.

Don't try this yourself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.