applause upon landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

applause upon landing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by WonderDude
I prefer to slip the pilot a fiver on the way out of the plane.
After a rough landing, I prefer to tell the pilot how much I appreciate her/him staying up all night to read the manual on Landing This Aircraft. (No, I promise I do not actually do that.)

I've seen a few times when there's been a groundswell of emotion upon landing. Usually a release of happy energy, once a release of happy-to-be-alive energy.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by nerd
It's not particularly Americans who do this.
Agreed. I've heard more clapping pax on international flights than I have on domestic US flights. Most recently, I witnessed it on a BA flight, LHR-MXP.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Without fail, clapping on Royal Jordanian when landing in Amman. However, flying into AMM on LH or OS, no clapping.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:06 pm

It happened to me a couple of times, more recently when I was on a real bumpy ride from Minneapolis back to Winnipeg. After we landed, the whole plane burst into applause.

I, for one, don't really like the applause, but *shrugs* if people like to do it, by all means.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by haniboo
the first tiime i saw it was on flying ELAL. i think it was more standard on LY years ago and less so these days. I rarely hear it on American flagged a/c, unless it was a bumpy raining landing.
My mom told me that the not only clapped, but sang Shalom Alechem when she landed in Israel in the 1970s. (It's a celebratory Hebrew song; loosely-we bring peace to you, but that doesn't quite capture it.)

The best I've ever seen, though, was on Kiwi, around 1994 I think. ORD to MCO (Disneyworld). It was a bargain flight with lots of families. Obviously one can't judge too wisely on appearances, but the majority of the plane seemed to be folks of modest means who perhaps had never flown before. The combination of (perhaps) first-time flying and arrival at MCO triggered a huge ruckus. It was a lot of fun.

It was also cool having 3 former Eastern pilots (727), all of whom seemed as though they could probably have been full captains there before going Kiwi. They were fun.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I've heard plenty of them on WN flights.
When I read the title to this thread that is exactly what popped into my mind. I have only flown WN for < 10 segments - but applause was heard at least 1/2 of the time.

Only other time was a rough UA flight into DEN a year ago. I applauded also - I'm not sure why - probably as a previous poster mentioned ... to relieve tension.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
I've only experienced clapping a few random times. But I have experienced cheering 3 times on EWR- ATL. A cheerleader chanting, yelling, cheer. I seemed to forget every year that there is a cheer competition over President's weekend.

I'd rather have the clapping.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:02 pm

Ever clapped when your plane lands?

Have you ever been on a flight in which the passengers erupt into applause right after the plane lands?

For me, it only happened twice. My senior year of high school, we had a class trip to Disney World. We had a charter flight from PHL-MCO, and everyone clapped upon landing at MCO and at PHL. Both of those flights were smooth, no hard landing.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL
In the 80's and early 90's on TWA from JFK to TLV
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Deja Vu all over again!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...n-landing.html

Yep, but way back in the day like 80's/early 90's...

Last edited by yyznomad; Feb 15, 2009 at 9:17 pm
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
When I was a kid and flew LO in 1994 transatlantic, everyone clapped.

Flew Wizz Air Bucharest-Rome 2 years ago, and was surprised when everyone clapped!

on this side of the world, Dec.2007, an insanely windy landing at SFO, B737, people clapped and FA said "now that folks, takes skill!"
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:16 pm
Suspended

I have seen this happend and I never understand it.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Flew Wizz Air Bucharest-Rome 2 years ago, and was surprised when everyone clapped!
I fly a decent amount into and out of Sofia, BG and people clap on a good number of the flights.

I think it is a Eastern European custom.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by bsb21

I think it is a Eastern European custom.
Thats what my grandmother says, because way back in the day of flying Ilyushins, Yaks and Antonovs, people clapped because they were glad to be on the ground safely
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:02 pm

On rather rough landings this seems to happen quite frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.