FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Poll: Which countries have you driven/hired a car (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/647673-poll-countries-have-you-driven-hired-car.html)

hauteboy Jan 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Poll: Which countries have you driven/hired a car

What places have you personally driven or rented a car?
1. usa
2. mexico
3. st. martin
4. england
5. spain
6. lithuania
7. latvia
8. greece
9. cyprus
10. bahrain
11. uae
12. oman
13. australia
14. new zealand
15. iceland
16. trinidad
17. suriname
18. french guiana
19. guadeloupe
20. sweden
21. switzerland
22. italy
23. germany
24. liechtenstein
25. andorra
26. venezuela

opus17 Jan 14, 2007 8:56 pm

USA, Canada, Bora Bora (Tahiti), Germany & Spain. I don't generally rent overseas due to their insane fondness for stick shifts, which is something cavemen used to use.

christep Jan 14, 2007 9:24 pm

USA, UK, Hong Kong, Germany, Poland, Netherlands, France, Belgium, Belarus, Russia, Australia, Philippines, Portugal, Ireland, Sweden.

stut Jan 15, 2007 2:14 am

England/Scotland/Wales
France
Luxembourg
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
Spain
Czech Republic
Australia
USA
Netherlands Antilles
Morocco

I only rent if there's really no other way of getting there (I'm much rather get the train), or I need to carry stuff with me (I'm now used to driving rather larger vehicles...)

Morocco was quite an experience as far as driving goes. The mountain roads down to Ouarzazate were treacherous, to say the least.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 15, 2007 2:18 am

A short list here: US, Canada, Costa Rica and Cyprus. I prefer airplanes, cabs or public transportation, mostly. :)

Taiwaned Jan 15, 2007 2:31 am

Canada, USA, Japan, Guyana and Taiwan

Pat89339 Jan 15, 2007 3:12 am

Japan, Australia, and Slovenia.

Jaimito Cartero Jan 15, 2007 3:43 am

Hired?

I see that "hired" is used in the thread title. Are we including cars with drivers that we've hired, or only rental cars? If the former, I can add another 4 or 5 countries. ;)

christep Jan 15, 2007 3:57 am

I think the poster has to have been doing the driving. I too could add many more countries otherwise.

limbo Jan 15, 2007 3:59 am

Australia, New Zealand, USA, Singapore, Malaysia

BiziBB Jan 15, 2007 4:06 am

Yes, it would be interesting to add any notable incidents or peculiarities!
I've hired Japanese cars in Australia, New Zealand and Ireland (primarily Toyotas; plus VW & others in Ireland). All manuals. :)

In the US I 'lucked out' with 100% GM vehicles :eek:. Most of the others, like the Mustang, were already gone.

I've never had a sticky situation with the roads, driving on the 'other' side, with other drivers or with the law, overseas.
Many years ago, I managed to get booked once, minutes from home, in a rental car, at the bottom on a steep hill, by a stealthy policeman playing hidden-radar-gun! Being in a different car that was a rental, I just had a need for speed! :)

crowe Jan 15, 2007 4:39 am

UK, USA, Canada and Thailand. Driving in Thailand is a joy as long as you avoid Bangkok :eek:

alex0683de Jan 15, 2007 4:51 am

Austria
France
Germany
Israel
Liechtenstein
Mexico
UAE
USA
Spain
Switzerland
Thailand

It's a close call where the driving's more difficult in Mexico or Israel, though I'm leaning towards the latter.

And personally, I love stick shifts. They're so much more fun to drive. Besides, they can be very advantageous in some situations (passing, trying to get a stuck car out of the sand/mud, etc.).

hauteboy Jan 15, 2007 5:09 am

In terms of accidents, Australia seems to be unlucky for me, I've rented a car three times and dinged it or had an accident each time! (though accident wasn't my fault) :) Also had an accident in Mexico but all other rentals were uneventful.

Emma65 Jan 15, 2007 5:27 am

UK, USA, Canada, Germany, Holland, Sweden