Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:50 pm

Can I buy an expensive suit now that my luggage is delayed?

That's the gist of it.

LH had a malfunction in bagage handling yesterday at FRA I'm going to a wedding this weekend an have meetings tomorrow. Bags delayed. Still not delivered.

Since LH only reimburses up to 50% I thought it would be better to go buy an expensive designer suit (like the one in the bag that is delayed) for around 2000 dollars and then let them pick up the tab for half of it.

Are they going to argue with me about the type of suit I bought, saying that I should have bought a cheaper one? Or can I safely buy the suit and submit the claim?

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 pm

I have just returned from a long multiple carrier trip.
DPS (tg) BKK (tg) SIN (sq) KUL (ms) CAI (tk) IST (tk) JFK (us) CLT (us) ORF

Two bags (one a surfboard i paid tg $119 oversize bag fee for) were checked through to final destination. I guess I was supposed to recheck after customs in JFK but they didn't show. I filed a claim with tk, but i can't find info on the amount per day they will reimburse for purchases.

I also filed a claim with US in ORF. The non surfboard bag showed up a few hours After arrival to ORF.

Do I have recourse to payment maid to tg?

Do I have claims with tk and us legally?

I am here for a competition but I doubt I will reimbursed for a 5-600$ surfboard that I need.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
I am here for a competition but I doubt I will reimbursed for a 5-600$ surfboard that I need.
If its something you demonstrably need, like the surfboard for a competeition, you should be compensated. Keep your participation receipts etc.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
lh

Originally Posted by Long leg
That's the gist of it.

LH had a malfunction in bagage handling yesterday at FRA I'm going to a wedding this weekend an have meetings tomorrow. Bags delayed. Still not delivered.

Since LH only reimburses up to 50% I thought it would be better to go buy an expensive designer suit (like the one in the bag that is delayed) for around 2000 dollars and then let them pick up the tab for half of it.

Are they going to argue with me about the type of suit I bought, saying that I should have bought a cheaper one? Or can I safely buy the suit and submit the claim?

Thanks
hi, sorry for the late answer. LH will pay half of the bill.
they wont ask questions.

its one reason for me to fly LH
Old May 15, 2013, 12:16 pm

I'm having an interesting experience with a misplaced suitcase. I was flying United SYR-EWR-LHR and was booked on the 8:55pm flight out of EWR. Due to air traffic control delays (what are those by the way?), I knew in advance that the SYR-EWR leg was heavily delayed and I would miss the EWR-LHR leg. Before leaving home, I called United and rebooked on the 9:40 EWR-LHR flight by phone. When I checked in at SYR, my new EWR-LHR boarding pass didn't have a seat on it for the EWR-LHR leg, but the SYR gate agent assigned me a seat manually.

When I was boarding at EWR, my boarding pass wouldn't go through. Turns out my boarding pass wasn't valid and I wasn't even listed as a passenger on the 9:40 EWR-LHR flight! According to the EWR gate rep, the computer was conflicted about me having bookings on both the 8:55 and 9:40, flights so it cancelled the 9:40 and put me back on the 8:55. How does something like that happen? I was told that despite me now being on standby for 9:40, my luggage was already in the air on the 8:55 flight, which at least meant that my suitcase would be waiting for me at LHR. I managed to snag the last standby seat and arrived in LHR only to find that contrary to what I had been told at EWR, my suitcase was still sitting in New Jersey and wasn't put on either the 8:55 or 9:40 flights. Instead, it'll be arriving sometime in the next 2 days.

How much of a gripe to I have with United? I know the initial delay wasn't their fault, but they managed to A) lie to me about booking me on the next available flight, B) almost leave me stranded in EWR overnight, C) lie to me about where my suitcase was, and D) fail to put my suitcase on the same flight as me, despite having ample time. I feel that I should get some sort of compensation for my trouble, but I don't like rocking the boat.
Old May 18, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by derpelikan
hi, sorry for the late answer. LH will pay half of the bill.
they wont ask questions.

its one reason for me to fly LH
LH should pay 100% per the Montreal Convention.
They were even sanctioned by the US DOT for paying only 50%

The Montreal Convention stipulates that you should get all of your expenses (with receipts) covered up to a maximum of 1131 special drawing rights (about $1800).

In the past Lufthansa tried to only compensate half of the amount of your expenses, and they were reprimanded by the US Govt for failing to uphold the Montreal Convention DOT Release here: http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/luf...elayed-baggage

Again, trying to limit it to 50% of your expensese is not allowed, and ensure that your complaint to Lufthansa that you let them know what your rights are. Ensure you file a complaint with the US DOT at the same time, they have an online form to do so. Also if your bag is missing for more than 21 days, they should automatically go to the 1131 SDR limit per section 17.3

You can get a copy of the Montreal Convention here: http://www.jus.uio.no/lm/air.carriag....1999/doc.html

Also their own internal policy is to provide €100 on the spot (€300 for Biz class), and if they failed to do that, or tell you your rights, you should complain about that too if you didn't get it
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:47 pm

Damaged bag: broken wheel not covered by Delta?

I found a wheel of my checked bag totally broken like was dropped from height and I had to carry it by hand all the way to the cab.

The MSP Delta baggage office agent was probably the rudest I've ever dealt with in my life. He simply told me any damage to handles and wheels is not covered by Delta or any other airlines. "Nobody will cover it", as he put it.

This is my very first time handling damaged bag. My girlfriend, however, did get a new replacement bag from US Airways for her damaged wheel last year. A supervisor at the office offered me a $25 voucher and said that's all they can do. I refused it right away.

Anyone has experience dealing with broken wheel(s)? does it help to contact their central office?

Thanks!

Last edited by guoguo914; Jun 4, 2013 at 9:15 pm
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:20 pm

Likelhood of lost baggage with transfer at LAX

I'm flying into LAX on UA, arriving at terminal 7, then taking an Eva flight out of Tom Bradley terminal. How good is LAX baggage handling between terminals? I do have three hours between flights and am flying first class/business which should help, but I'm wary of checking my bag.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by derpelikan
FAQ: Which Convention applies?:

(*) To determine the status of a particular state, refer to the [Date of entry into force] column in the following table: http://www.ICAO.int/icao/en/leb/mtl99.pdf
I was reading through this very useful thread and noticed that the links to the ICAO Montreal convention signatories had gone stale. It took a bit of searching but think this might be an up-to-date link to the document that derpelikan intended to reference:

http://www.icao.int/secretariat/lega...s/Mtl99_EN.pdf

-Steve
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:59 am

Delta lost my large, purple, 40 lbs bag on flight from DTW to LGA.
21 jan flight was canceled, I was rebooked to 23 jan flight, but bag was sent on 22 jan flight, and, according to tracking, it was in the LGA baggage office on 22 jan about 5 pm.
This was last time anything was known about the bag.

It's 11 feb now, I have filed detailed claim form and waiting for them to review it.

But I still can't understand how large, easily spotted, unusually colored bag can disappear from baggage office with no trace.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: BA - Blue
couple of quick questions on lost bag

My in-laws were flying to visit us in PEK. Flew MSP-ORD-PEK booked on HU, with international sector with HU, first sector on AA, booked as HU codeshare. They checked in 4 bags, and one of the bags didn't arrive. That was 21 days ago, so it's officially 'lost'. Filled in a claim form, and just heard back that they will only compensate $20/kg (i.e. applying Warsaw convention type rules).

Clearly, the Montreal convention applies here, so I want to write back claiming compensation under those rules. A couple of quick questions:

1. The bag contained items up to ~ US$2.2k dollars. That's slightly more than Montreal convention allows for one person (1131 XDR). But can they claim for both of them?

2. What do we do if they then refuse to compensate at Montreal convention rates?

thanks,

tb
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Certainly "Montreal" applies - but the maximum liability to airlines for lost baggage is a fixed amount 1131 SDR per checked item.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by serfty
Certainly "Montreal" applies - but the maximum liability to airlines for lost baggage is a fixed amount 1131 SDR per checked item.
Thanks for the reply. I shot off my email before I received it. The response (typical one sentence broken English) just asked for receipts/ invoices of the lost goods. My in-laws don't have these -- although they could conceivably produce alternate invoices of other stuff on their return to US next week, but would rather not go down that route.

Any suggestions as to best way to proceed?

thanks,

tb
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:49 pm

Happened to my friend when they went to watch World Cup Soccer in Germany.
Their luggage, instead of going to Munich, went to Islael?!! Huhhh???!!!
They used Allitalia to fly from East Coast USA to Germany, transit thru Milan.
I think that is where their luggage boarded the airplane bound to Islael.

They were paid 100 EURO/day until the luggage arried, I believe.
Husband was annoyed that their luggage won't arrive for 3 days, but Wife was happy with the 100Euro for shopping spree.

Last edited by msiamsia; Feb 21, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Some 8-9 years ago, I first went to IST fo two lectures. Luggage didn't make it with the morning flight from LHR, reckoned to be >4h late so would I accept $300 for shopping new clothes (!) Luggage delivered before i actually needed it (5.40 PM) After 2 days in IST off to BOS via LHR, and of course luggage delayed.

Arriving BOS afternoon, I was assured my bag would be on the next flight, delivered to my hotel. At that time I had a habit of keeping a change in carry-on when TATL/TPAC, so - shower , clean clothes and dinner out with friends.

Returning 10.30 PM - no bag, to late for calls. Between lectures calling the airline, I was assured my luggage was on it's way, beeing delivered to my hotel as soon as possible: Would I settle for $600 to cover expenses for clothes for the day? Yes.

At the hotel 05.45 PM - no bag. Airline luggage office apologized - their mistake, bag still at LHR, arriving next noon. Would I settle for $600 ... Yes.

Next morning check-out, off to convention. Calling airline luggage office repeatedly - finally - yes arriving BOS 3.05PM (!) Although happy to get luggage, I had a flight at 4.35PM to ORD for a meeting, and bag, as unable to deliver to hotel , must be reclaimed at remote office.

Managed that, checked in bag and self to flight, settled in AC for a quick G&T, and off to ORD. Sorry, bag didn't make it, would I settle fo $400 as bag would be delivered round 9PM? Yes, yes, yes, but rather have my bag...

Morning flight ORD-LHR, no surprise the bag hadn't emerged. At check-in: We will forward it to your home as soon as possible. It arrived 38 hours after me with tags all over in all colours almost like a black Christmas tree.

Memo to self: Exept for 2-week vacations: CARRY-ONS ONLY !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.