FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   I think it is time for the FAs to make an announcment w/r/t disembarking the aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/646764-i-think-time-fas-make-announcment-w-r-t-disembarking-aircraft.html)

magiciansampras Jan 12, 2007 7:42 am

I think it is time for the FAs to make an announcment w/r/t disembarking the aircraft

Nothing irks me more than being in the aisle seat, sitting comfortably while the rows ahead of me empty into the aisle to retrieve their stuff and get off the plane, and it comes time for me to get up and people come storming from rows behind me not allowing me to get up and out. It really is a dog-eat dog-world when it comes to disembarking aircraft these days and it is despicable.

People: let the rows in front of you empty out first, unless they explicitly say they're waiting. You are not that important. You can wait the extra 10 seconds to let the other folks out. Trust me.

PlatinumScum Jan 12, 2007 8:25 am

If you're just sitting quietly in your aisle seat, that's an explicit sign that you're waiting. If you don't want people to go past you, get up.

magiciansampras Jan 12, 2007 8:28 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum (Post 7002942)
If you're just sitting quietly in your aisle seat, that's an explicit sign that you're waiting. If you don't want people to go past you, get up.

Baloney. Sitting is much more rational than crowding into the aisle and waiting the 10 minutes for everyone else to disembark. I get up and leave my seat once the row in front of me clears.

The way it should work is everyone should stay seated until their row is ready.

1kBill Jan 12, 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 7002965)
Baloney. Sitting is much more rational than crowding into the aisle and waiting the 10 minutes for everyone else to disembark. I get up and leave my seat once the row in front of me clears.

The way it should work is everyone should stay seated until their row is ready.

Won't happen. Get over it.

When I am in an aisle seat, I get up and stand there, effectively blocking the gate crashers from behind. Unless I am way in the back and it's hopeless. But even then, I sometimes have antsy seatmates who simply can't believe that someone would just sit there! rather than jam the aisles. :confused:

magiciansampras Jan 12, 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 7003006)
Won't happen. Get over it.

When I am in an aisle seat, I get up and stand there, effectively blocking the gate crashers from behind. Unless I am way in the back and it's hopeless. But even then, I sometimes have antsy seatmates who simply can't believe that someone would just sit there! rather than jam the aisles. :confused:

The best flights I have been on are into DCA when it is largely military personnel. These folks know how to do disembark an aircraft. Everyone just sits there patiently and gets off as their row is up. Much more efficient.

I guess at the end of the day I just hate people. :)

Mary2e Jan 12, 2007 8:38 am

It's dog eat dog in that aisle. :)

I agree, you have to, at a minimum, stand up. If I'm in the aisle, I'll also partially move into it.

canuck_in_pa Jan 12, 2007 8:44 am

A little trick, if you insist on sitting until the last moment: a lot of aircraft have a hidden button where you can raise the armrest on the aisle seat. You can then kinda rotate and put your legs in the aisle, communicating your desire to vacate said seat :D

magiciansampras Jan 12, 2007 8:47 am

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa (Post 7003048)
A little trick, if you insist on sitting until the last moment: a lot of aircraft have a hidden button where you can raise the armrest on the aisle seat. You can then kinda rotate and put your legs in the aisle, communicating your desire to vacate said seat :D

Ahh, I like that. I'll start doing that.

TJtv Jan 12, 2007 9:38 am

Why would you want to stay seated? Presumably you've been sitting for several hours in your seat while the plane was flying. Once you hear that "ding" sound its time to get up and start stretching. How much time spent sitting do you really need anyway?

magiciansampras Jan 12, 2007 9:48 am

Originally Posted by TJtv (Post 7003399)
Why would you want to stay seated? Presumably you've been sitting for several hours in your seat while the plane was flying. Once you hear that "ding" sound its time to get up and start stretching. How much time spent sitting do you really need anyway?

I find sitting in my seat much more preferable than trying to cram into a 2 foot wide alley with 100 other passengers. Call me crazy, but I enjoy my personal space. And the larger point is that they're not going anywhere. You hear the ding, you stand up, and you're just waiting uncomfortably scrunched up against everyone else.

Do you enjoy crowded subways as well?

JohnWM Jan 14, 2007 9:01 am

w/r/t ?

Could the original poster or some other knowledgeable person please explain what "w/r/t" means? Thanks very much.

drat19 Jan 14, 2007 9:06 am

Originally Posted by JohnWM (Post 7014537)
Could the original poster or some other knowledgeable person please explain what "w/r/t" means? Thanks very much.

with regard to

hhoope01 Jan 14, 2007 9:21 am

Another option is to stay seated until you see passengers fileing out a couple of rows in front of you. Then stand up. There will always be some who will do their best to try to get in front of whomever they can. Just for that 10 seconds. Personally, if they are in that much of a hurry, I just let them go to it. It isn't that big a deal to me.

But once I stand up, usually the next person in the aisle will stop and let me out. Most people still have some courtesy in there somewhere. ;)

pbz Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am

People are stupid, they will jockey and elbow to get off the plane first, just to stand in the tunnel 10 minutes waiting for their 2 baby carriers to be valeted up.

If you don't get past them there, you'll pass them in the terminal, where they'll be doing the slow tourist shuffle in a line seven-wide.

mcgahat Jan 14, 2007 9:54 am

I am afraid there is little regard for other people these days and this is but one example. I understand people being in a huge hurry when a flight is delayed etc but they act the same way when the flight is 15 minutes early.

Interesting timeing of this thread as just yesterday as I was arrving into CVG I was standing (not in the aisle as it was full already) and ready to get out when the rows had emptied as I started out it became obvious that several people just about ran me over and I am not a little fella.

I will move before I will allow myslef to act more like cave men and women than civilized human beings. I do believe it is important to let people know I dont agree with their methods and I do so.