Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you use a car service to get to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

My wife is tired of having to take me to the airport because of the early time that we have to leave. We leave at 3:30 AM so that I can get on the first flight. If it is a transcon then I just drive myself in my car but on transpacs the car stays a long time at the airport and with the severe weather it is just not practical. Do you use a car service? What should I expect? I live about 50 miles from the nearest aiport. It usually takes about 45 min to 50 min from my door step to the terminal. What would the cost be? Is it a Limo or is it a Lincoln Town Car.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:16 pm

What airport?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:43 pm

I used to, but now they only take business people on a contract basic. It was great while it lasted. They had drivers who knew how to find Brooklyn, the taxi drivers never heard of it before.

Last edited by Bobster; Jan 8, 2007 at 12:03 am
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

It would, indeed, be helpful to know which airport you are discussing. For example: In Los Angeles, one rarely sees limousines anymore; only towncars or an occasional SUV. Often, the price of a taxi and a towncar are pretty much the same. (at least from my location in West Los Angeles). (Well, O.K., the towncar is probably about $10.00 more but well worth it).
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:07 am

Programs: WWMFD
Car service from my US home > JFK is a ludicrous $200 + tip unless you get the occasional coupon for 50% off. I usually just get the cheapest car Hertz has on the lot for a one way trip to the airport. Runs ~ $50.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
From/to Manhattan car service is only $45 plus toll and tip. However, my experience has been that they sometimes are not so reliable. Going out to JFK I will take LIRR to Air Tran. This way I do not need to worry about traffic and/or driver showing up on time. Plus only $10.

On the way home will usually use a car service, particularly at night when traffic dies down. There are always drivers waiting at the airport for a pick up so you will have a car within 5 to 10 minutes.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by slariz
What airport?
Sorry. It is SYR that is the nearest. ALB is 90 minutes away.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:11 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I use a car service if it is equal or less than what parking would be. The lot I use is about $20/day(covered/valet). Car service is $50 each way so I'll use the car service if I'll be gone longer than 96 hours.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:22 am
cpx

Programs: Many
about 40 miles from the airport.. I use one from time to time for my
business trips. Costs about $120 including tips.

Airport shuttles on the other hand costs half as much.. but they may
take other passengers.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
There are always drivers waiting at the airport for a pick up so you will have a car within 5 to 10 minutes.
The car service drivers always come running up to me asking "do you need a taxi?" but that's dishonest, since they are not taxis, and probably illegal because you must have a medallion to make pickups on the street. It's hard for me to trust people who are so desparate to break the law.

So when I used a car service I called them on the phone and waited. If you have a cellphone they might be there by the time you get off the plane and walk outside. They were always cheaper than a taxi. Plus they had good drivers. And they charge a flat fee, so you don't have to pay extra for sitting in a traffic jam with the meter running. And the towncars are nice.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I've used car services many times between Manhattan and EWR/LGA/JFK. The cost is about the same as a yellow cab, but the experience is easier all around (call ahead and no wait).

Anywhere else, the prices are ridiculous, including the NYC suburbs. A ride from South Orange, NJ to EWR (about 8 miles) costs $75 or so, at least with one NYC-based car service. Here in RIC one car service bills corporate customers around $50 for a Town Car ride from the airport to downtown (about 10 miles/15 minutes).
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:37 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Bobster
The car service drivers always come running up to me asking "do you need a taxi?" but that's dishonest, since they are not taxis, and probably illegal because you must have a medallion to make pickups on the street. It's hard for me to trust people who are so desparate to break the law.
I think newyorkgeorge was refering to car-service. When you call their service..
they can dispatch a driver almost immediately since they are waiting near the
airport anyway. And I agree with him.

I wouldn't get a ride from someone who would come up and just offer me the
service.

newyorkgeorge: correct me if necessary.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:16 pm

My wife and I have a policy of not driving each other to the airport. We both actually NEVER would ask anyone else to drive us before we met each other. (Easier and less cruel to drive yourself and park.)

So, I always make the decision to hire a car based upon economics, since I have no strong preference. For me, the break-even point is about 10 days.

I would expect that living in upstate NY parking is cheaper and distances are greater, making the break-even point even longer. Of course, we don't have to worry about weather in LA. And, we do have 2 cars for the 2 of us.

Is there any service station/parking service in the vicinity of the airport where you can park. I can remember that when I lived in a snowy place there was a sevice station that had a parking service as part of the business. If it had snowed while you were away, they would clean and de-ice your car prior to your return.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I use a car service some of the time (sedan), streach towncars some of the time, and even SUV limos some of the time. It really depends.

I am somewhat envious of you though, that it takes you 50 minutes to get from your house to the airport even though its 50 miles away. It takes me 50+ minues to get to the airport which is only, what, twenty miles away.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I often use a car service to get to BOS and for personal trips for which the parking cost will exceed the car service cost. I actually prefer to drive my car, but parking at BOS is pretty iffy right now. I use the car service for all long flights (I might be groggy when I return). Occasionally they send a stretch when my family is all going or when they don't have any other cars available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.