Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The most expensive public transport journey in the world

The most expensive public transport journey in the world

Reply

Old Jan 6, 07, 8:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,391
The most expensive public transport journey in the world

London Transport has increased its fares from the start of 2007.

This means that the 'walk-up' fare for a single journey in the centre of London costs 4. If you travel between Leicester Square and Covent Garden stations - one stop, but you would be surprised how many people do it - the distance is only 0.16 miles or 0.26 km, the shortest distance between any two tube stations (Of course, you can't tell this from the schematic map).

This works out at 25 or $48.2 per mile, or EUR 22.8 per km.

Anything more expensive out there? ("Normal" transport modes, so not including ski-lifts or similar; and to make the comparison fair, for air travel full Y-class fares).
railways is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 8:56 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: west of DFW airport
Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Posts: 11,063
Railways, that takes the cake....the prize. London Transport has gotten very expensive. Although I am usually ready and willing to hoof it in London, many people don't know their way around without going on the Tube. Oyster card anyone?
oldpenny16 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 9:41 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 17,960
I was going to say Heathrow Express:
17.50 oneway if purchased onboard
31.00 return if purchased onboard
In First Class it is 24.50 and 47.00.

Journey time 15mins each way plus another five or so to Terminal 4.
Fraser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 1:23 pm
  #4  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,245
Originally Posted by railways View Post
This means that the 'walk-up' fare for a single journey in the centre of London costs 4.
Yes, but this is a punitive fare for using paper tickets. You can get an Oyster card out of a vending machine, which you load up with cash, and it charges you 1.50 for the same journey.
stut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 1:59 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 12,232
Hi,

It would also be 4 for going between Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow T 123 on the underground ( free on the Heathrow Express though)

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 3:08 pm
  #6  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,245
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
It would also be 4 for going between Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow T 123 on the underground ( free on the Heathrow Express though)
That's 3 paper, 1 Oyster.

The 4 paper charge is only for journeys involving Zone 1.
stut is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 3:19 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 12,232
Originally Posted by stut View Post
That's 3 paper, 1 Oyster.

The 4 paper charge is only for journeys involving Zone 1.
Hi,

Thanks for that.

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 4:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: OAK
Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Posts: 2,484
how about $5 for a one-way 1/2 mile cable car ride in san francisco? No Transfers!
amartin1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 4:16 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,391
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

It would also be 4 for going between Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow T 123 on the underground ( free on the Heathrow Express though)

Regards

TBS
This is actually quite a long journey on the Tube (2.7 miles), so at 3 it works out quite cheap (!) for LT at just over 1 a mile.
railways is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 07, 4:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota,USA
Programs: UA, NW
Posts: 3,613
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I was going to say Heathrow Express:
17.50 oneway if purchased onboard
31.00 return if purchased onboard
In First Class it is 24.50 and 47.00.

Journey time 15mins each way plus another five or so to Terminal 4.
That's what I would say. At typical exchange rates, the Heathrow Express costs more for the 15-minute journey between LHR and Paddington than the Narita Express does for the 70-minute journey between NRT and Tokyo (Central) Station.

I used it on my BritRail Pass, because I was going on a train that left from Paddington the same day, but that's the only way I'd ever ride it. I'ts nice but not THAT nice.
ksandness is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 07, 2:40 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Malaga,Spain
Programs: KLM/CO/BA/IB
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by railways View Post
London Transport has increased its fares from the start of 2007.

This means that the 'walk-up' fare for a single journey in the centre of London costs 4. If you travel between Leicester Square and Covent Garden stations - one stop, but you would be surprised how many people do it - the distance is only 0.16 miles or 0.26 km, the shortest distance between any two tube stations (Of course, you can't tell this from the schematic map).

This works out at 25 or $48.2 per mile, or EUR 22.8 per km.

Anything more expensive out there? ("Normal" transport modes, so not including ski-lifts or similar; and to make the comparison fair, for air travel full Y-class fares).
Airport hotel shuttle bus services at LHR, now use Hoppa bus and costs 4.00per person for journies of about 5 minutes!
Marchamona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 07, 7:11 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 611
Originally Posted by stut View Post
You can get an Oyster card out of a vending machine, which you load up with cash, and it charges you 1.50 for the same journey.
You can't get the Oyster card out of a vending machine, but you can top it up at some of the electronic ticket machines.

You can obtain the actual Oyster card from the following places:

At the Oyster website
At most Tube station ticket offices
At over 2,200 Oyster Ticket Stops across London
At some National Rail ticket offices
At eight London Travel Information Centres
By phone on 0845 330 9876†

There is a 3 deposit on the Oyster card, but you can get this back if you no longer need the card.

I beleive the credit on an oyster card has no expiry though, so you can save the card for future visits to London.

Last edited by abfab; Feb 2, 07 at 7:17 am
abfab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 07, 7:15 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,789
Originally Posted by abfab View Post
You can't get the Oyster card out of a vending machine, but you can top it up at some of the electronic ticket machines.
I top mine up at home before I leave, and my account is debited when I enter the fare gates at Heathrow a few days later. Works perfectly.
tom911 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 07, 7:16 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,789
Originally Posted by Marchamona View Post
Airport hotel shuttle bus services at LHR, now use Hoppa bus and costs 4.00per person for journies of about 5 minutes!
At least down at Gatwick it's still 3 pounds (was there 2 weeks ago).
tom911 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 07, 7:51 am
  #15  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,245
Originally Posted by abfab View Post
You can't get the Oyster card out of a vending machine, but you can top it up at some of the electronic ticket machines.
Yes you can. Some major Tube stops now have unregistered pre-pay Oyster card vending machines. See here. You pay the 3 deposit, then top it up with cash at one of the ticket machines.
stut is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: