Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you upgrade out of your own pocket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Do you upgrade out of your own pocket?

If your employer has a slightly restrictive travel policy, or you want a 'treat' for yourself when traveling on business, are you willing to pay for upgrades out of your own pocket? For air travel? Hotel? Add-on holiday vs. busy work days?

That's the general question, and I have done it in the past for both air and hotel, alone and with the missus. Now for my dilemma .

I'm off to India soon and am trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my Taj Palace room in Mumbai. The hotel is already way past what I could (well, would) ever afford myself, but my employer accepts the cost of doing business in India. I'm thinking of paying an extra US$150/night out of my own pocket to upgrade to Club level with fancy lounge, breakfast, butler (wow - I'm not sure I could bring myself to use a butler!), fancy palace (vs. tower) room, etc. I will actually have time to enjoy it since my work schedule isn't too tough.

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
If your employer has a slightly restrictive travel policy, or you want a 'treat' for yourself when traveling on business, are you willing to pay for upgrades out of your own pocket? For air travel? Hotel? Add-on holiday vs. busy work days?

That's the general question, and I have done it in the past for both air and hotel, alone and with the missus. Now for my dilemma .

I'm off to India soon and am trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my Taj Palace room in Mumbai. The hotel is already way past what I could (well, would) ever afford myself, but my employer accepts the cost of doing business in India. I'm thinking of paying an extra US$150/night out of my own pocket to upgrade to Club level with fancy lounge, breakfast, butler (wow - I'm not sure I could bring myself to use a butler!), fancy palace (vs. tower) room, etc. I will actually have time to enjoy it since my work schedule isn't too tough.

Thanks,

Dr. PITUK
In general, not a bad question. My answer is probably similar to others on FT. If I can't do the upgrade with miles/points, it probably isn't worth it. I've done great suite upgrade hotel stays in Paris, London and Singapore on upgrades (with Mrs INY). I would have to be really trying to impress a potential Ms. INY (which would upset Mrs. INY) to spend real money. It's one of the perks of being a FT.

Have I ever stayed an extra day or so at a great location? Yes, and did not expense it. I looked on it as a very low cost way to get some personal time in a location I could never afford normally.

Bottom line, no, I don't use personal funds to upgrade, but will use points/miles to extend a stay for a day or so, or a suite as needed.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
I will occasionally spend to upgrade into E+ on UA. I'm willing to spend a few dollars to be comfortable, but it has to be within reason.

As for hotels, I'm not picky so I would be unlikely to spend for that upgrade.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:40 pm

I pay to upgrade on AirTran a lot, I'm a big person and better off sitting in business class up front. Better for me, better for those around me. Sometimes I stick in coach if I have the bulkhead or exit row, though.

As far as hotels, I rarely upgrade, but maybe once every year or two I will. I do it when I know I'll have a lot of free time and I'm tired and stressed, and want to relax in the room. It's been at least a year or two since the last time I did it, which was when I upgraded to a jacuzzi room for $40 or so over my per diem.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I work for a not for profit, but have worked for several for profits that had quite a bit of travel and it was pretty much the same

Air - I'll use my miles, never pay cash for them. I will confirm standby out of pocket.

Hotel - never pay to upgrade usually just get them. If I choose a hotel for stays that's more expensive then the recommended ones, I'll usually only put in for the rate of theirs and stay at mine.

Rental car - If I'm expensing that and the upgrade is reasonable then I'll leave it in there.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Car and hotel upgrades do not matter to me, but I will pay out of pocket for air upgrades depending on the length of the flight or if I know I may get an undesirable middle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.