Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you unplug everything before you leave home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you unplug everything before you leave home?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have an auto shut off iron that I make sure is unplugged when I leave for any length of time.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:43 am

Programs: DL GM
I wouldn't unplug anything except perhaps computer-related stuff for a day or 2, but when we leave for several weeks, I unplug all computer-related stuff and expensive electronics (actually, I unplug their power strips/backups and disconnect their phone/cable line connections). We've previously lost 2 tvs, 1 VCR, had computer damage during thunderstorms.

When we're away I also turn off the water supply to the dishwasher, washing machine and toilets. I've known people who had extensive (and expensive) damage from leaking pipes and/or hoses.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by joer
What the hell is my TV doing that it needs 22 watts just to sit there?
I unplug everything except my alarm clock and the entry light. This is more so I don't have to pay utilities for my appliances to just sit there. If I had DVR I'd leave that plugged in too though.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:01 am
Ken

Programs: Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Bogey90
I don't unplug anything, but if I will be gone for more than a few days, I turn the water off. It is possible for the rubber hoses that connect to the washing machine to burst or the hot water heater could start to leak.

In the winter, if it gets cold enough for the pipes to freeze, you are better off with the water shut off.

You should replace those rubber hoses with the metals ones. The rubber ones will burst at some point in time and it is ugly when it happens.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have an auto shut off iron that I make sure is unplugged when I leave for any length of time.
You normally leave your iron plugged in 24/7?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
Also for about $100 you can buy a device that attaches between the water and washing machine and the power and the washing machine. It shuts off the water until the machine draws power. That way niether the hoses or the machine can leak water.

Originally Posted by Ken
You should replace those rubber hoses with the metals ones. The rubber ones will burst at some point in time and it is ugly when it happens.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
After living in Russia for so many years, yes I do. Russians do it instinctively. Power surges, faulty wiring, and bad luck have a way of training you to be paranoid about it.

Having recently learned about vampire appliances, I think about it a lot more and even do some things I've never done before. My family spent 3 weeks out of the country recently and I went so far as to flip off the hot water heater breaker before leaving. Our power bill was still only about 30% less than before. I think my wife must have plugged in some lights on timers or something after I'd made my sweep of the house. Oh well.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA1P/AA/B6
Since I am usually gone for about 10 days at a time, I turn all breakers off except the fridge (yeah I need a cold one when I walk in the door ).
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have seen people in the UK unplug things before leaving. I unplug the Christmas tree; that's it.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Harrald
Also for about $100 you can buy a device that attaches between the water and washing machine and the power and the washing machine. It shuts off the water until the machine draws power. That way niether the hoses or the machine can leak water.
Those devices are great, but they don't help if you have a pipe burst. I looking into buying a watercop system.

Watercop
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by woody125
Having recently learned about vampire appliances, I think about it a lot more and even do some things I've never done before.
Vampire appliances? Did I miss a post?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Vampire appliances? Did I miss a post?
I didn't say I learned about it on FT (though I learn about everything else here practically). Click here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0926065912.htm
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
I don't unplug anything - and in fact, I make sure the ceiling fans in my living room and bedroom are running before I walk out the door. I live in an old funky Florida beach house on the water and the fans at least keep air circulating so it's not too stifling when I get home. Some months when I'm gone 25 out of 30 or 31 days, my FPL bill is only $5-8 so I'm not too worried about it.

On turning off water, I seem to recall when I lived in Alaska that we would actually leave a teeny tiny slow drip of water going in the faucets when we'd be gone in winter to insure that the pipes did not freeze.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't unplug everything in the US when leaving. In other countries, I'm more likely to do so.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I have a ski condo. It has had brown outs in the past, Once a tree fell on the wires going to the 4 units in our block only and we lost SOME power but not all, and another time, a person who owns one told me this type of thing happened and he lost his TV, VCR and coffee maker. We don't think that will happen again because of plain old odds and luck, but sometimes, since we are not always up there, I do turn things off or unplug them.

one thing you could do is cut the main power in the electrical box in your utility room. We do this with the hot water heater in the summer

MM

in the winter I do unplug coffee and toaster. We dont need TV. there is skiing to be had!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.