Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you unplug everything before you leave home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you unplug everything before you leave home?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
How long are we talking about? I don't unplug aything when I leave for work, which could be 12+ hours before I return.

We only unplug the computer network if leaving for a week or so. Or the Christmas tree on Christmas eve when visiting relatives (which is only 6 hours max)

And we NEVER turn off the water to the washing machine or water heater even though we have friends and neighbors have to more or less rebuild their entire homes after one of those went bad.

BTW, firemen advise you turn off your sprinkler system whenever you 're not home. Like every morning when you go to work. Those things don't put out a fire, just give you time to get out. And if they go off when you're not there, 14,000+ gallons of water could fall all over your hardwood floors down two stories and drip down through the ceiling and light fixtures as happened to my son, somewhat delaying his walk-though prior to move-in.

Or your pool sucker-thingie could go bad and start pumping out all the water in the pool if it flops out of the water. See, I know nothing, but when house-sitting I knew something was wrong, so shut off the breaker.

So either leave and don't worry, or find a friend who will housesit and not steal or go through your stuff. Life's a ..... sometimes.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The computer and all heat-making appliances. We also turn off the faucets feeding the wash machine and turn down the water heater and unplug the recirculator pump. (Note: It's not a good idea to turn gas water heaters entirely off. They have a vacation setting that keeps them just warm enough to avoid condensation.)
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:40 pm

Always flip the circuitbreaker before I leave.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Gone long, then I unplug a lot. Short trips, nada. Should do more as my bills are terrible.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:16 am

Programs: True Blue
Nope, not a thing.
But I happen to rent in New York, and my apt. building was FRIED by lightning a few months ago...us, and maybe a couple others, out of all the buidings in the city...that was fun.
So it can't happen twice, right?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta
I do the same thing for a trip as I do when I go to work: turn everything off, turn the heat down, and leave everything plugged in.

I've considered flipping the breaker to the hot water heater on long trips but I so love a nice hot shower as soon as I get home that I just leave it on. I would really like to get one of those tankless hot water systems, just heats the water as you use it instead of storing it.

If I was caught up in the unplugging bit I think I would just turn the circuit breakers off that way the wiring in the walls couldn't short out either. Seems like a lot of work to go around unplugging everything. Needless to say I'm just not a "The stove is always on!", kind of guy.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I picked up my mother last week to take her to Alabama for Christmas. Before we left the house, she unplugged every electrical appliance. I thought this was overkill, but she insisted. My parents' previous home was struck by lightning twice in about 20 years, destroying a couple tvs and other stuff. The irony is my father, an ee, held several patents for lightning arrestors.

I have my TV, VCR and special DVD player on a special outlet that is connected to a light switch, thus proving those things useful for something. I don't do this because of a fear of lightning, but because the TV uses 22 watts in standby mode (Don't know about the VCR or special DVD player). What the hell is my TV doing that it needs 22 watts just to sit there? I mean, my DVR/boring old DVD player/recorder combo only uses 13.5 watts in standby mode, and it's actually doing stuff like keeping time and counting down to when it should start recording stuff.

Originally Posted by alm5150
...anything I am worried about causing a fire.
That's why I unplug my toaster whenever I'm not using it. I probably shouldn't worry about that too much since it's lined with genuine asbestos (I don't know when it was made, but the guarantee expired 41 years ago this month).
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I unplug the computers and other electronics. However, the refrigerator will stay plugged in.

I live in Florida where lightning is not an unusual sight
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by djk7
True, but I also disconnect these things when I am home and a fierce thunderstorm hits. In Orlando, they are a common occurance.
I suppose that's the difference - I have UPS/surge protectors on everything of value and no one in the area that I know of has ever had lightning-caused damage.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:36 am

Gone for the day, nothing. Gone for the week, then I have a small space heater that I unplug... mostly for an irrational fear that it will turn on, walk itself over to the carpet or some furniture, and set it on fire. Odd, isn't it? And yet that's what I do!
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I don't unplug anything. I like still having cold food when I get back and intensely dislike having to rest clocks on sixty-two billion devices.

I also frequently VPN into my home network while away, so I leave all my servers and computers plugged in and running.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Well, it can happen twice. It did to my parents. We also had a strike in the neighborhood. It burned a hole in a roof 8 houses away, set off the alarm system in the home next door to me. I'm not sure a household surge protector will save your electronics from a direct hit, but might help if it's the neighbor's house. I also saw lightning hit a mobile home when I lived in FL. It was fully engulfed before the FD arrived and a complete loss. I've always viewed it as a remote possibility. Anyone know the odds of your home being struck in a year?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:09 pm

Perhaps I am lazy, too pressed for time, etc., but the best I can do is unplug the computer.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:12 pm

No.

But if it's winter and we are both on travel, then we turn off the water at the street and drain the pipes.

M8
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've never even thought about unplugging anything when I'm gone. (Then again, we only see lightning every 5 years or so).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.