Wiki Posts
Search

Help - My mom's first time online ticket ordering

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Help - My mom's first time online ticket ordering

Hello all,

I'm hoping that you can help answer a question that my mother has about the tickets she purchased online to visit my finance and I over New Year's. This is the first time she has ordered plane tickets online through an online service. (Yeah, yeah, I know, she's a little behind the times. 'I don't see what's wrong with calling my travel agent', she protests. I told her this would be more flexible and likely cheaper.) Anyway... she went with Orbitz to get a flight from BUF-CLE-ATL-SAN and back again. Long story short, she was thoroughly enjoying the experience of picking out her seats for each flight and when she was done, she just about had a heart attack and was calling me for help. On the last leg of the flight (ATL-SAN), her travel details tell her:

Your flight is confirmed. The airline is assigning seats at check-in.

She wants to know what this means. She thinks it means she's been put on standby and will end up not getting a seat on the flight or will end up delayed somehow. All the rest of her flights have her chosen seat; it's just the last leg showing this message. I myself have never run into this situation when ordering online and I'm wondering what I should tell her to calm her down. What will this mean for her flight and should she be prepared for some eventuality because of it.

I apologize if this is a trivial question, but if I can answer it and reassure my mom everything's going to be okay, then I'll feel a lot better too.

Thanks all,
chikin
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:32 am
Suspended

Your Mom should be fine.

The airline holds back a set percentage of seats for airport assignment. Anywhere between 10% and 20%, depending on the airline.

Tell her to check in early for that flight (which she will since she will check in when she checks in with the first leg) or check in online.

What is the date and flight number? I can check to see if it is oversold or not.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks, MapleLeaf. I screwed up the airport code, I meant to say ATL-SAT, not SAN. (That was my typo, not hers, or she'd be really screwed!) She's on Delta Airlines flight 4465, departing ATL at 4:05pm.

Do you know why the airlines hold back some seats like that? I know flights can be oversold because some people may not show up and the planes can still be filled, but this is the first I've heard of check-in seat assignment (I know very little about airline travel).

Thanks again!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:02 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by chikin
Do you know why the airlines hold back some seats like that? I know flights can be oversold because some people may not show up and the planes can still be filled, but this is the first I've heard of check-in seat assignment (I know very little about airline travel).
The airline reserves some seats from preassignment for the following reasons:

* Seats that may be needed for passengers with disabilities or lap children.
* Exit row seats.
* Premium economy seats reserved for elites, but may be given to others at checkin time.
* Blocked seats next to elite passengers (to be filled only if the plane is full).

However, overbooking is still a possibility. She may want to check in as early as possible (she should be able to do it on-line).
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I personally would not rely on online checkin unless my seat was confirmed. Tell your mom to arrive as early as possible and bring a book.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:09 pm
Suspended

You didn't specify the date but saying it was for New Year's, I checked both 12/31 and 1/1 and neither flight is oversold so she should be fine.

If it is another day, let me know and I will scan seat availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.