Heated Runways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heated Runways?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by acpilot
My point is that it's not just the runways that would need to be heated but also the drainage system.
The "fall" (i.e., water is kept moving 'downhill') in current systems keeps water moving and inhibits freezing; in addition, most current systems likely have a burial depth great enough that they won't freeze even at cold surface temperatures. It's a slightly different material than storm drainage, but do you think the entire waste sewer system in cities like Buffalo or Duluth is heated? Somehow people can still flush their toilets and have their tubs drain during the winter in these places (i.e. they don't freeze).
Old Dec 26, 2006, 8:37 pm
boa

Programs: UA 1MM and constantly changing status in a bunch of Hotel programs
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The biggest is the cost benefit ratio. Airports rarely get so over loaded that they shut down. This was the first time for DEN after being open for how many years how 10?

Drainage is not that much of a problem as on average a foot of snow contains an 1 inch of water. But then again there is alot of concrete.

Actually, this was the third shutdown. I was not here for the first one, but I thought I heard it was more a planning misjudgement (the first real test since the airport opened?). But the 2nd shutdown was a storm even bigger than this one, 3-1/2 years ago.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:04 pm
boa

Programs: UA 1MM and constantly changing status in a bunch of Hotel programs
Well, one argument is if it is necessary to create a truly "all-weather" airport? I'm not a pilot or aeronautical engineer, so maybe I am underestimating airplane technology. But is there such a thing as all-weather airplanes (at least for public commercial use)?

I mean, is there any point in keeping an airport open if the planes shouldn't be taking off anyway?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:36 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Um, if airports don't have any way to drain water from runways and other areas, how come they don't shut down in the rain?
I think acpilot answered this well.... in the warm weather, the drains and channels [used for the rain to drain] are also frozen and clogged with snow. Unless you melt everything, draining the water would be a major issue.
Heating every duct close to the surface is not an easy task either.

Not to mention the additional construction cost.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:40 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
The "fall" (i.e., water is kept moving 'downhill') in current systems keeps water moving and inhibits freezing; in addition, most current systems likely have a burial depth great enough that they won't freeze even at cold surface temperatures.
Once water gets a few feet below the surface.. its fine, but the challenge is to
keep the drains open at the surface. To ensure that for such a large area,
you need to make sure the runways and the surrounding areas are also kept
warm. I dont see that to be an easy or cheap task.

Also the construction costs would be significantly high.. interest from the
money saved by not doing it.. might even pay for the cleaning costs for
years [my guess]
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by cpx
To ensure that for such a large area,
you need to make sure the runways and the surrounding areas are also kept
warm. I dont see that to be an easy or cheap task.
That's the very plan being discussed--heating the runways and surrounding areas warm enough to melt snow! I'm not advocating the plan, I never said it would be cheap or easy. I'm just pointing out that if the runways and surrounding areas are indeed kept warm enough to melt snow, there will not be an issue of finding a place for the water to go.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:48 am

That's the very plan being discussed--heating the runways and surrounding areas warm enough to melt snow! I'm not advocating the plan, I never said it would be cheap or easy. I'm just pointing out that if the runways and surrounding areas are indeed kept warm enough to melt snow, there will not be an issue of finding a place for the water to go.
OK, if you go back and read what the OP asked you will see that the question was about heating the runway. I pointed out that it's not just the runway that would need to be heated but also enough of the drainage system to ensure that the melted water has someplace to go. Have you ever seen the havoc that an abnormally warm spring day causes with ice, snow and drainage? Standing water on the runway will have the aircraft diverting even if the airport is open.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
There are heated pavements/sidewalks in Tromsø in Northern Norway (mostly in the centre, but also at the university campus). They seem to work quite well.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by boa
But is there such a thing as all-weather airplanes (at least for public commercial use)?

I mean, is there any point in keeping an airport open if the planes shouldn't be taking off anyway?
Modern airliners are extremely capable but there is a limit on every specific weather phenomena possible. For example the minimum temperature for starting the engines (on the aircraft I fly) is -40 C. I rarely see -40C but it's still a weather limitation on the aircraft. You could go down a list of every possible atmospheric condition and find a point at which it exceeds the capabilities of a modern airliner. It's certainly possible to design and build aircraft that could start engines below -40C but it's just not cost effective to spend the extra money expanding the operating envelop for a relatively infrequent condition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.