Checked Luggage: Backpacks?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:48 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Checked Luggage: Backpacks?

Hey,

This is my first FlyerTalk post. Merry Christmas!

I have a large camping backpack that I would like to take on an AA/BA flight to Munich. The bottom compartment has a yellow cover that comes out and zips around the entire backpack making it look like a duffel bag. It says to use this for rain, or for checked luggage on a flight. But, I noticed there are NO straps anywhere on the bag, so, how would they put the tracking/baggage tag onto it? I know on suitcase they put it on the handle. But if there are NO handles or straps..... Will that be a problem?

Is there any problem with checking backpacks in general? If they aren't covered and have several straps?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mdanner423
Hey,

I have a large camping backpack that I would like to take on an AA/BA flight to Munich. The bottom compartment has a yellow cover that comes out and zips around the entire backpack making it look like a duffel bag. It says to use this for rain, or for checked luggage on a flight. But, I noticed there are NO straps anywhere on the bag, so, how would they put the tracking/baggage tag onto it? I know on suitcase they put it on the handle. But if there are NO handles or straps..... Will that be a problem?

Is there any problem with checking backpacks in general? If they aren't covered and have several straps?

Thanks,
Matthew
Hi Matthew, welcome to FT, and merry christmas!

In my opinion, you have a rather unusual backpack for travel but it sounds like a very useful item. I have checked a more conventional travel-related backpack with no problems but of course, one must take care that straps, etc. are secure enough that they will not snag during loading/unloading or you will have a damaged bag.

Perhaps others will have additional guidence for you but my first instinct without knowing any more detail is to recommend you consider checking without the cover deployed.

By the way, could you simply "carry-on" ?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Hey,

Thanks,
Matthew
My guess for the reason it has the cover is that things with lots of straps and gadgets on the outside have more chance of getting caught and damaged, the smoother the outside the less chance of damage. Good question though on the tag, my guess they would put it on the cover flat instead of folded.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:59 pm
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the quick response. I wouldn't be able to carry it on, it's way too big and heavy for that. Here is a pic of the bag that might help answer the question http://www.ebags.com/products/index....rceID=DEALTIME

Over that (optionally) is a yellow cover that zips completley around, no straps or anything coming off of it.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Avis First
They'd put the luggage tag on just like you would on boxes that were being checked. They'd just apply the entire thing to the flat surface you described.

Might make taking it of a bit hard.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have a separate back pack cover that I've used for checking my hiking bag to and from Alaska. It does have a handle. I close the zipper with a zip tie (you can buy them super cheap by the dozens at hardware stores). I've never had anything damaged shipping bag in bag this way. I do take the precaution of putting my back pack into a large bin liner (trash bag) and closing that to make sure that all stays as dry as possible.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Maybe the check-in agent could put your backpack in one of those big plastic bags. That`s what they do with prams here in Norway. Then you can have all the loose straps you like and maybe a little bit more..
Old Dec 25, 2006, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Warning: I've had a backpack frame bent a bit in checked baggage. Fortunately it was bent away from the body and there was no sleeping bag on the pack, it didn't cause a problem.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:05 am

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Ive never had a problem checking my hiking pack (5500 cubic inches) without any detailed advance preparation...only one airline (UA IIRC) made me put a large clear plastic bag around it (which they provided at checkin) for strap control, otherwise all others that Ive taken it on have accepted it as is...just remember to have all the buckles together, including the waist belt, and find ways to minimize the number of loose straps/strap tighteners (rubber band the excess or something)...you shouldnt have any probs at all...
Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:27 am

Thanks for the quick response. I wouldn't be able to carry it on, it's way too big and heavy for that. Here is a pic of the bag that might help answer the question http://www.ebags.com/products/index....rceID=DEALTIME

Over that (optionally) is a yellow cover that zips completley around, no straps or anything coming off of it.
Great looking pack my friend and it appears you got a bargin! Congratulations. Several other posters mentioned airline supplied plastic bags...I forgot about this as that is what I did on recent visit to Hawaii.
Good travel,
747LWW
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Matthew:
Welcome to Flyer Talk. At my airline we get checked back packs all the time. Based on your post I see no problems. As far as the straps go I hate them. They get hung up on the belts all time & may completely rip off.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The tags are adhesive, they can just stick it to the bag if they have to. I would put a strap around it to make it easy for you and them to move once you pack it up, just one in the middle, and they could tag around the strap.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:50 am

Programs: NH-PLT, NW-S, AC/UA/US/JL plain, Hertz#1G
No-cover means damaged or missing strap at conveyer hookup.

Built-in cover means claim tag peeling off on the way thus missing.

Plastic bag means claim tag sticking tight, and protection from rain and dust during transfer.

Ask for one at the check-in counter, +/- bring your own garbage bag from home just in case.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:10 am

Programs: UA-IP Priority Club-Gold AC-General
When I first travelled with my back-pack (to Africa on a camping safari), I made a heavy clear plastic bag from plastic sheeting I got at a hardware store and used duct-tape to seal the side and bottom and then used plastic reusable ties to close the top.

The advantage of this heavy plastic and having my own was not having to rely on the airport having bags and the plastic was heavy enough that it lasted the whole 6-week trip. I just folded it into an outside pouch when not needed and had extra ties. It was also just the right size for the pack with a little extra room so I could grab it under the tie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.