FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Request for help - marriage proposal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/639205-request-help-marriage-proposal.html)

leech27 Dec 23, 2006 8:02 am

Request for help - marriage proposal

Ok, I'm not actually sure this goes in the United forum or somewhere else, but since I'm looking at a United flight I'll try here first.

Anyways, I'm flying my girlfriend to Hawaii for her birthday at the end of January. Now, I've been planning to propose to her for some time and have been racking my brain trying to find the right way to do it. Since she loves Hawaii and we had our first getaway trip to Kauai, it struck me that proposing to her on our flight out would be a very unique way to do it.

Now, relatively speaking, I'm not that frequent a flyer (generally 1-2 flights to Asia a year + enough domestic flights to reach 2P). I certainly don't know the flight crews and have very rarely even sat in first/business class - my most memorable experience was last year when my girlfriend and I were op-upped to business class on an int'l 777 on our return flight from HNL in April.

My goal would be something like the following:
1. Have the pilot make a quick announcement to get her attention
2. Kneel down (possibly with FAs helping to keep the aisle clear)
3. Go ahead and ask her :)

I'm hoping to get enough e500s to upgrade us on the outbound flight to HNL, but in all likelihood we'll be in E+.

Here's where I need help
- How do I let the flight crew know about this without tipping her off? Is there any way to get a hold of them in advance?
- What's the best time to do this - right after we've reached altitude? Before landing? I don't want to disrupt the FAs work either.
- Are there any other ways I can get the flight crew involved that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance! I'd prefer to PM people with the specific flight information rather than broadcast it on this board if requested.

LessO2 Dec 23, 2006 8:20 am

With all due respect, think about this. You're going to PARADISE.

Which sounds more romantic....a proposal by you on a Hawaiian beach at sunset? Or a proposal done on an airplane, spoken out of someone else's mouth...heading to paradise?

I've heard two proposals on an airplane in my lifetime. Both times the person next to me and I shook my head in disbelief as to why someone would want to do it on an airplane.

Further, it's not very romantic when the only time you can kneel, you run the risk of being bumped into by someone else or get run over by a beverage cart. What kind of story would that be for your future wife...."He proposed to me, but this big redneck who had to pee crashed into him in the aisle."

Also, I couldn't think of a better time than you two would want to snuggle next to each other. And depending on where you are, you might have to wait several more hours on an airplane.

Please, please, please....your girlfriend will gladly trade your "uniqueness" points for the proposal on the Hawaiian beach at sunset.

Back with more Dr. Phil after this break.

camachinist Dec 23, 2006 8:34 am

Engagement ring, champagne glass, mile high club...

'Nuff said?

:D

Pat

leech27 Dec 23, 2006 8:42 am

Good points - I'll have to think about it. Given that I'm in TPE right now, I'll be back in about 8 hours after I sleep on it.

BDLORD Dec 23, 2006 8:56 am

Though some people may not agree......It's the destination in this case and not the Journey.
BTW This is a two class 777 if you are leaving from the Mainland. NRT-HNL is three class
Sunset bottle of bubbly on the beach

blondedawn Dec 23, 2006 9:02 am

leech 27, I think you get a lot of points for wanting to make the proposal memorable and unique, as well as for trying to tie it in to other significant points in your relationship (the getaway trip).

Before you proceed with the proposing on the flight, though, make sure your fiancee-to-be would like this kind of public proposal. I have a few friends who were proposed to in restaurants to the applause of other diners, on the big screen at a basketball game, etc. and absolutely loved the grand gesture. Other women (such as myself) consider a proposal to be an intimate event that they would prefer not to share with a bunch of strangers. If your fiancee-to-be falls more into the latter category, you may want to consider waiting to propose until you get to Hawaii, as it offers tons of opportunities for romantic proposals that will still be memorable and have the sentimental tie to your relationship.

If you stay with your current course of action, I can't imagine any flight crew refusing to help you. Since you will be with your fiancee-to-be on the plane and don't want to tip her off, you could approach the GA (under the pretense of checking on the availability of upgrades, perhaps), explain the situation and what help you are looking for to her, and ask him/her to relay the situation to the crew and see if they would be willing to help. You could check back in with the GA prior to boarding (the GA wasn't able to give you a definitive answer regarding upgrades before -- you want to see if she has a better idea now) to see what the crew's response was.

Good luck!!

zrs70 Dec 23, 2006 9:14 am

Also, make sure you know the answer before you ask the question!

mazal tov on the ocassion!

oopsz Dec 23, 2006 11:08 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 6894422)

ouch! voice of experience? :D

Phoenician Aviator Dec 23, 2006 11:13 am

Congrats on your decision to pop the question! :)^

I would agree with several others here that the plane just isn't the place. Those of us who love airplanes (I have been in this category since I was about two years old) would agree that it's an awesome place to be, but it just doesn't have the right ambience for a proposal. Even sitting in a first class 'cabin' on board an EK A345 would not be quite the right setting.

Definitely go for the sunset on the beach, or at the top of the mountain, or whatever. Make it special by doing it somewhere you've had a nice experience before, where it's private, and where the focus is on her (and, secondarily, you...believe me, you'll learn this!!) and keep it short and sweet. Some are in favor of lengthy speeches but I say just ask the question and let the moment take care of itself. (BTW, do you know what her family is like? Might want to check with her parents first...this doesn't matter anymore for many, but is still very important to some.)

Ok, enough advice from me. If you do feel that onboard the friendly skies is the way to ask, I wish you all the very best of luck and hope it goes wonderfully. And, no matter what, all the best wishes for a successful and prosperous life together!

zrs70 Dec 23, 2006 11:46 am

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 6894777)
ouch! voice of experience? :D

Well, not my personal experience.... But I here about it in my profession all the time!

camachinist Dec 23, 2006 11:48 am

Originally Posted by leech27 (Post 6894293)
Good points - I'll have to think about it. Given that I'm in TPE right now, I'll be back in about 8 hours after I sleep on it.

Just to put my suggestion in context, you must embrace my strangeness....

http://mackrafab.com/family_pix/rene...Pat_xmas99.JPG

Bear in wife's arm was flown in from England and was wearing engagement ring. I was "Santa" at a Xmas party at her best friend's house. Surprise ;)

She killed me later :D

Good luck with your decision and engagement! BTW, we did get married in Hawaii (on the water at Kahana Bay by a traditional Hawaiian minister) and I agree with those who suggest sunsets on Hawaiian beaches. Gorgeous and unforgetable.

Pat

ua_to_ord Dec 23, 2006 11:55 am

OP: If deciding to propose in flight, do take care to at least be seated up front. As neither of you flies in First frequently, I disagree with others' opinions that the setting would appear entirely plebian. Also, make every effort to secure a confirmed upgrade, as you want to select seats in advance and avoid sweating out the upgrade at the gate.

ElmhurstNick Dec 23, 2006 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 6894422)

Yes, absolutely if you're going to do it in public. One radio personality here in Chicago years ago had a segment where he'd call and ask somebody a question on your behalf. Some guy called and begged him to call his girlfriend to propose. The radio guy suggested that it might not be a good idea, but he insisted.

The GF was NOT happy. Seems that she had told him "not yet" on two recent occasions, and he was trying to badger her into changing her mind. That was an awkward phone call....

I'd vote for the beach, unless you're planning to turn around and fly standby home if she says no on the plane.

globetrekker84 Dec 23, 2006 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick (Post 6895231)
Yes, absolutely if you're going to do it in public. One radio personality here in Chicago years ago had a segment where he'd call and ask somebody a question on your behalf. Some guy called and begged him to call his girlfriend to propose. The radio guy suggested that it might not be a good idea, but he insisted.

The GF was NOT happy. Seems that she had told him "not yet" on two recent occasions, and he was trying to badger her into changing her mind. That was an awkward phone call....

I'd vote for the beach, unless you're planning to turn around and fly standby home if she says no on the plane.

This reminds me of that one really embarrassing moment that I saw on TV where a guy proposed to his gf on center court at halftime in front of a sold out crowd. When he proposed, she ran off court. Poor guy.

But I'll echo the people here. Definitely do in when you get to your destination. I might go a bit further and say do it on your last night. Then again I'm terrible in relationships, so what do I know? :(

Dr_wanderlust Dec 23, 2006 2:23 pm

I wouldn't want my knee to touch the floor of a UA aircraft if I could avoid it.

I agree with the others who suggest waiting until you find that perfect place in Hawaii