Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you remember when you use to fly coach because you did not know any better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you remember when you use to fly coach because you did not know any better?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by stinky123
.....your post has given me confidence in the contempt that I feel for those who do sit in first class and lord it over everyone else.
Wow, that's heavy!

But check this out:
Hawaiian Airlines will upgrade any pax, on any coach ticket, across the Pacific to Hawai'i, for $250.00 one way, on day-of-departure, if available.

No elitism here!

Last edited by kaukau; Dec 2, 2006 at 1:06 pm Reason: I forgot something.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, CRC, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Priority Club Gold
I'm not subsidized by taxpayers

I'm sure some on FT are subsidized by taxpayers; however, I am not.

I've edited my previous comments to avoid sounding haughty. I share my miles with my mom, sisters, husband & children. Without my status & travel there's no way I'd spend the money to travel the world.

Travel Safe!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Surely I am not the only person who finds this question arrogant and obnoxious.
Sorry if I offended.

I don't pay for FC, but [almost] always fly FC. There was an instant about 12 years ago when I realized that.

In hindsight I could have found that out maybe 15 years ago or 3 years earlier if I had known any better.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:06 am

I've only flown first class once in my life.

I just don't fly enough to earn elite status. I wish I did, but I just can't afford to, either in time or money. And my business travel is strictly in coach.

I guess I should clarify: Mileage runs sound tempting, and they are affordable, but they come at times when I can't travel for other reasons, usually because of obligations with the family or work.

And I do occasionally get my mileage balances high enough to get a first or business award, but my personal philosophy is that I'd rather get two trips than one, even if the two trips are a little less comfortable. So I go for two awards in coach rather than one in first. But that comes from the fact that I don't travel that much to begin with, so for me a trip in coach is still something special.

This month I'm going to Europe for the third time this year. That, for me, is a record.

Ed

Last edited by suranyi; Dec 2, 2006 at 11:20 am Reason: Added clarification
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:16 am
MeNoSay

I fly coach because I work in the public sector, don't fly enough to qualify for an elite program and am not subsidized by taxpayers to fly in business class or first class. But your post has given me confidence in the contempt that I feel for those who do sit in first class and lord it over everyone else.
Seconded

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Sorry if I offended.

I don't pay for FC, but [almost] always fly FC.
I find this surprising given you spend time in both US & NZ. As you know, no first class on any direct routing. QF does have F between Australia and US, but they wont op-up, paid F is really expensive and award F hard to obtain. I guess that means you fly UA?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I dont fly for business.
It is all leisure travel, yet about 10% of my travel is up front

I ve never paid for C/J, except one time on Malaysia between Kota Kinabalu and Brunei, where a 20 minute flight was $5 more in C. I could not justify to myself spending $5k for 8 hours of flying to Europe for example, where that same money could buy me 10 $500 trips.

Face it, most people in the world have no idea about airline status, upgrades, or even frequent flyer accounts.
Thanks to a place like FT, we know how to maximize the rewards we get from the systems in place.
It makes me cry when my friends travel to places like Asia and Europe frequently and dont have an account

Its not an accomplishment to pay $10000 to fly in F, its an accomplishement to pay 10x less, and get an upgrade by being knowledgeable on how to work the system of frequent flying.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by gleff
And I do remember becoming an elite for the first time... A UA 2P when I was right out of college, my college girlfriend and I wound up in different cities and I flew out to see her many weekends. All I knew was that I got to board early, which I thought was cool because I could be assured of overhead space. And I gradually learned about the other benefits.

People don't don't know about upgrades?~?~?~ wow that was one of the things that pushed me to pick and fly a certain airline. It makes a difference to sit up front.

Just scored a 777 ALT-JFK Biz seat upgrade for my flight. It's always fun to take a big bird somewhere close by.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:02 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
I still fly coach because I cannot afford any better.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: Skymiles SM
My first upgrade was after 9/11, before I had never enrolled into an FF program despite flying enough to qualify for elite status(something I did not know back then).

It was kinda funny seeing the look on some peoples face when they called up my name(Born in Turkey, living in Belgium) to hand me my new boarding pass.
Some people looked as if they expected me to be taken of the flight.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by MeNoSay
Seconded
Apparently not.
I fly coach because I work in the public sector, don't fly enough to qualify for an elite program and am not subsidized by taxpayers to fly in business class or first class.
I fly biz or first because I fly enough (on my own dime) to qualify for elite. I am not subsidized by anyone. The fact that your travel is paid for by the public sector is meaningles.
But your post has given me confidence in the contempt that I feel for those who do sit in first class and lord it over everyone else.
I submit to you that this is likely the wrong travel board to be frequenting if you really feel as you say you feel. I have NEVER EVER felt that someone in first/biz was "lording it over" anyone. YMMV

Best, Dave
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:29 am

We ALWAYS fly 1st or Business. We don't fly very often and it is always for vacations - maybe 2 to 3 times a year. I use my FF credit cards diligently. Groceries, gas, clothes, etc. etc. etc. Was having a drink with some friends and they almost fainted when they saw me bring out cash lol!!! I was only checking for the valet as they don't take credit cards. We buy cheap flights and upgrade or use FF for the whole thing. Linda
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
I definitely remember my first time in F. American Express rebooked me on the day of travel because of a weather-related cancellation, and I ended up in the front cabin on a NW flight from DTW to Lansing, MI (a 20 minute flight). I was very proud of myself for managing to drink 3 beers on that flight.

To the OP - How would you suggest traveling from DFW to LIT?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
I can fly whatever class I want, but frequently will fly coach for shorter flights because I don't find the marginal utility of first on those flights to be better than the investments I can make with the price difference. Everyone has their priorities.

At the same time, I would never fly coach on a flight over a few hours because then the comfort does make a difference.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:33 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by AAaLot
I remember flying coach and never even considering being able to fly up front.

Conversely, do you remember your first upgrade flight?
I dream of one day remembering when I flew commercial because I did not know any better!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.