Wiki Posts
Search

Passport needed for travel to SJU?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott
Passport needed for travel to SJU?

Last time I checked, Puerto Rico was still a US territory. However, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative could be interpreted as meaning that US national traveling to or from the mainland to the island will need a passport. And doubtless, some TSA person will interpret it that way. Is there any clear guidance as to whether and when travel to SJU will require a passport? There's a January 1st requirement and a January 23rd requirement. I think that if travel is completed before 1/23/07, the travellers should be able to get by with a photo ID and (at most) a birth certificate. Anyone have some insight into this?

And yes, I do have a passport, but I'm not sure if all my meeting attendees will have one.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The TSA doesn't care what government issued ID you choose to show (if any) when clearing a checkpoint. Your airline, on the other hand, will check to see that you have the documentation necessary to allow you to enter your destination.

As for the proper documentation for a flight from the US to Puerto Rico, the answer to that is here:
Q. Will travelers from U.S. territories need to present a passport to enter the United States?

No. These territories are a part of the United States. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the U.S. territory and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Oh -- and the January 1, 2007 implementation date no longer counts. It was changed to January 23, 2007.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xyzzy
The TSA doesn't care what government issued ID you choose to show (if any) when clearing a checkpoint. Your airline, on the other hand, will check to see that you have the documentation necessary to allow you to enter your destination.

As for the proper documentation for a flight from the US to Puerto Rico, the answer to that is here:Oh -- and the January 1, 2007 implementation date no longer counts. It was changed to January 23, 2007.
I would not be surprised that the revised date was selected for political reasons -- particularly to minimize near-term negative publicity for DHS and the current Congress stemming from the family holidays getting ruined and students being unable to make it to school due to government nonsense.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Since Puerto Rico is part of the United States, then of course you do not need a passport.

I have a question of my own, which is probably even more silly, but I do not quite understand the distinction between "commonwealth" and "state." Puerto Rico makes quite a point of noting that THEY are a commonwealth rather than a state. However, Virginia definitely and I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania also are commonwealths, and yet they are also states just fine, indeed, some of the original states. So what's up with that?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by peachfront
Since Puerto Rico is part of the United States, then of course you do not need a passport.

I have a question of my own, which is probably even more silly, but I do not quite understand the distinction between "commonwealth" and "state." Puerto Rico makes quite a point of noting that THEY are a commonwealth rather than a state. However, Virginia definitely and I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania also are commonwealths, and yet they are also states just fine, indeed, some of the original states. So what's up with that?
My great home state of MA is also the Commonwealth of Masachusetts

From Wikipedia
Four of the constituent states of the United States officially designate themselves Commonwealths: Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. This designation, which has no constitutional impact, emphasizes that they have a "government based on the common consent of the people" as opposed to one legitimized through their earlier Royal Colony status that was derived from the King of England. (The word commonwealth is of English derivation and refers to the common "weal" or welfare of the public.) In common parlance, people do not make the distinction between state or commonwealth.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:41 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by peachfront

Nothing really. I wondered about that myself.
Here is the Wikipedia article.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Given the idiocy of some airline and most TSA employees, not to mention the certain non-recognization of certain state ID's on other parts of the USA (try buying booze in Massachusetts with a non-MA DL), I would view this country as not one country but 50-plus countries (the plus being the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, etc.) and always carry a passport when leaving one's home area code.

Besides, given the mental/chemical instability of the current administration, you may want to have your passport in hand if you have to flee the country for your safety in the event of a declaration of martial law, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by HeHateY
I would view this country as not one country but 50-plus countries (the plus being the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, etc.) and always carry a passport when leaving one's home area code.
Even then, some establishments that serve alcohol do not accept passports as ID. The PC at EWR terminal C3 is one example!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Even then, some establishments that serve alcohol do not accept passports as ID. The PC at EWR terminal C3 is one example!
Well of course not! Why would they accept passports as ID at an international airport terminal? Just because a passport was good enough ID to get into the country doesn't mean it's sufficient to purchase something as dangerous as miniature bottles of sparking wine. Can you imagine what would happen if someone were to drink alcohol????!!??!?!
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Doppy
Can you imagine what would happen if someone were to drink alcohol????!!??!?!
Not to mention nevermind the fact that the country that the person would be flying to/from most likely has a drinking age ranging from 14-18 anyways
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO GLD, UA 1P, Marriott SLVR, SPG GLD...
Originally Posted by s25843
Not to mention nevermind the fact that the country that the person would be flying to/from most likely has a drinking age ranging from 14-18 anyways
...or no drinking age at all!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
In Spanish, Puerto Rico calls itself an "Estado Libre Associado" - literally a "Independant Associated Nation".
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
This thread is not really a travel safety or security issue so I'm transferring it to TravelBuzz.
Please continue to follow it there.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:56 am

There's a January 1st requirement and a January 23rd requirement.
Originally, the passport requirement was to go into effect for anyone re-entering the US after December 31, 2006 (ie Jan 1). That was then changed to Jan 7 (or 8?), and land crossings/cruise passengers were exempted. The date was changed to Jan 23 when the DHS missed a deadline (something about a 60 day rule). Anyway, as it stands now, anyone entering the US by air as of Jan 23 must have a passport.

However, for cruise passengers thinking they don't need to get a passport think about this - what happens if you have an emergency and need to return by air? Land passengers the same. I can't even imagine the potential hassles.

Bottom line is, just go get a passport and you're covered under any and all circumstances.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:53 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
OK, cool. If you were keeping a life list of the number of countries you had visited, do you think it is cheating to count Puerto Rico as a separate country then? I just have them as part of the U.S. so have not been counting them.

There is a hobby some people have of trying to visit 100 countries, and that's where the question might arise.

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
In Spanish, Puerto Rico calls itself an "Estado Libre Associado" - literally a "Independant Associated Nation".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.