Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do car rental companies give you two keys on one chain?

Old Oct 17, 06, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN RR, UA M+, Hilton, Marriott

...and the chain is one where you can't separate the keys? If you lose the keys, you're stuck. And the two keys together are just bulky in your pocket. I would much prefer two keys on different key chains, or just one key. Any rhyme or reason to this policy?
Old Oct 17, 06, 4:06 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Dag nab it, that has NEVER bothered me in 20 years of renting cars.

It will now drive me nuts on a weekly basis.

I hate you.
Old Oct 17, 06, 5:26 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
...and the chain is one where you can't separate the keys? If you lose the keys, you're stuck. And the two keys together are just bulky in your pocket. I would much prefer two keys on different key chains, or just one key. Any rhyme or reason to this policy?
My guess: it's certainly for THEIR convenience. When they eventuelly sell the car both keys are in the same place.

HTB.
Old Oct 17, 06, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
This is great, I have always wondered this as well. It has bugged me each time I rented a car.

I guess the logic of keeping them together for a later sale makes sense, but you are right, bulky and pointless for the renter.
Old Oct 17, 06, 7:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
We just did a cross country one way rental with Avis and were handed the "2 keys on one keychain". The first thing I did was cut the cord and separated them...I kept one key...my partner the other...it was just insurance that we were not locked out in the middle of no where.....When I handed the keys in at the other end the agent DID look quizzically at the separation and said " That's interesting"...as if she had never seen that done before.
Old Oct 17, 06, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
They do it so they can charge you a fortune to get new keys made if you lose the keys. Since they don't keep a key, it costs them alot more to get keys made than if they had kept one.

And how do they deal with one-way rentals? Does LGA have to mail the extra key to PHL if I do a 1 way? All of that could get pretty messy!
Old Oct 17, 06, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
This bugs me also, but not as much as when they don't give you the remote. (which naturally makes the key ring even bigger). Can't win.
Old Oct 17, 06, 9:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Haha, so strange!

2 weeks ago I rented a car and got 3 keys and two remote controls on the same loop. Could barely even fit it in my pocket.
Such a pain!!
Old Oct 17, 06, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by liveon777
Could barely even fit it in my pocket.
Which is why you guys need to start carrying purses... aka "man bags"...
Old Oct 17, 06, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by xinerevelle
Which is why you guys need to start carrying purses... aka "man bags"...
I believe the proper term is "Murse".
Old Oct 17, 06, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG-Gold, A'A-EXP
Originally Posted by Traveller
They do it so they can charge you a fortune to get new keys made if you lose the keys. Since they don't keep a key, it costs them alot more to get keys made than if they had kept one.
It's pretty easy and inexpensive to get a new key. I know that any GM dealer can make you a key with just the VIN number. The remotes are a whole other story though.
Old Oct 17, 06, 8:25 pm

Programs: NW, MR SE,
As mentioned, the keeping of two sets of keys on one key ring is all for the benefit of the rental agency. If they separated into two rings, the chances of it getting separated so you only have one set of keys increases. They won't give you just one set of keys since a car can be returned to a different location than the rental location. This would make it next to impossible to make sure all car keys are at the location of the car.
What bothers me more is they won't give me the door remote control. This is inconvenient since I use the remote to locate my car in any parking lot.

HJ
Old Oct 17, 06, 8:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Got three last week in Sacramento. Three huge keys, and the alarm fob.
Old Oct 17, 06, 9:08 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I asked about this at National when they gave me 2 keys and 2 remotes. They said it is in case the car is returned to a different location they have to have everything with it. That also included things like front license plate holders.
Old Oct 18, 06, 2:13 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Traveller
And how do they deal with one-way rentals? Does LGA have to mail the extra key to PHL if I do a 1 way? All of that could get pretty messy!
Good point though my guess is for easier safekeeping.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: