Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just Fell Victim to a Scam in Istanbul -- God Do I feel Like an Idiot!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Fell Victim to a Scam in Istanbul -- God Do I feel Like an Idiot!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Idiots or not, what's the benefit in blaming the victim? Your point would or would not include that the con-artists good enough to "succeed" in making a victim of someone should maximize the criminal outcome?
my only point is that you would have to live in a cave if you were not warned somewhere about the shell game. Hundreds of movies, tv shows, tv news, newspapers, magazines, newspapers and on and on.

This was a great scam back in the 70s and 80s maybe, but I can't believe people actually still fall for this one.....
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by andrzej
my only point is that you would have to live in a cave if you were not warned somewhere about the shell game. Hundreds of movies, tv shows, tv news, newspapers, magazines, newspapers and on and on.

This was a great scam back in the 70s and 80s maybe, but I can't believe people actually still fall for this one.....
It all depends on one's background and may well have nothing to do with living in a proverbial cave. Scams that are common in the US are not the same scams that are common in say China; and so while non-US persons may fall prey to one scam in the US they'd never fall for the same highly-publicized scam in China.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Pres, sorry to hear about your experiences. I've not been a victim of such scams but can understand how abused/violated one can feel after being robbed....

An acquaintance of mine from school told me he and some friends got stiffed on a similar type of thing in Paris. They went over for a lad's weekend of fun when they were 18 and ended up several hundred quid out of pocket. I've been wary of being ripped off in general, particularly when it comes to travelling.

Originally Posted by chicagosecretagent
There are dozens of scams all over downtown. They target the tourists. The two I see most frequently are the ones with the chess game set up on Michigan Avenue and the shell game on the CTA. The CTA scam is very well done with several actors dressed in professional clothing, i.e. medical scrubs and lots of enthusiasm. Most people don't ever realize they've been scammed until they think about it later.
What are these two?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
I was thinking the same thing. A master "travel scams to avoid" would be very helpful.
Who volunteers?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: just above cargo
Originally Posted by Fraser
What are these two?
Yeah, I've just been looking myself. I'm assuming that the shell game is the three moving cups, find the shell/ball game (a variation on the "find the lady" three card game) but might be wrong...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by secretbunnyboy
Yeah, I've just been looking myself. I'm assuming that the shell game is the three moving cups, find the shell/ball game (a variation on the "find the lady" three card game) but might be wrong...
that's it!!!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by secretbunnyboy
I see Americans from cruise ships fall victim to it in Sweden in summer. At least it's not big bucks from the prey.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who volunteers?
Um . . . um . . . okay, I will, but it will have to wait until I return from South America (and get over my hangover from BJ's drinks do in SF).
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
If there's enough material on FT, perhaps someone starting a Master Thread about common travel scams -- even if it is just links to posts like the OP and other scams we've been subjected to -- would benefit us all.
I think that is a great idea. Perhaps all the OPs should be at the top with comments below so one could read through all the current scams at once. The OP here would ge a good start.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
My personal rule when traveling: If someone approaches me-there is something in it for them. I've not been wrong yet. It also helps to research the country you are traveling to through Lonely Planet, this site, etc to learn of the more common scams. You'll feel pretty pleased with yourself for successfully navigating the terrain!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, a little more wisdom and being helpful to other travelers. Don't let it eat you up. Live and learn...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:21 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Originally Posted by lianluo
It also helps to research the country you are traveling to through Lonely Planet, this site, etc to learn of the more common scams. You'll feel pretty pleased with yourself for successfully navigating the terrain!
Agreed...before going to Turkey, I did leaf through the Lonely Planet guide and Im pretty sure this scam was mentioned in there...
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:31 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
My experience in Istanbul...

I would like to thank the OP for the courage to post his story..and warning to other travellers!

When I was in Istanbul earlier this year, there were many locals that came up to me, asking me how I was, where I was from, how did I find Istanbul etc etc. On the one occasion, I did have a 1/2 hour conversation with one individual (who spoke perfect English) until eventually he said that he ran a carpet business and would I like to go and see his warehouse. I was quite wary of him during our conversation, but remained polite at all times, and politely told him that I was not in the market for carpets, thanked him for his conversation and left. Later on, I saw him making conversation with another tourist

It is really difficult deciding between a scammer (I include carpet salesmen in Istanbul! ) and a local being friendly, and I think one just needs to be wary all the time, and not let one's guard down.

I think a lot of us could have quite easily fallen for the same scam (or something similar) that the OP suffered!!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
If there's enough material on FT, perhaps someone starting a Master Thread about common travel scams -- even if it is just links to posts like the OP and other scams we've been subjected to -- would benefit us all.
Probably belongs in Travel Safety / security. I'll have a go at it, although I don't have anything to contribute at the moment.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks again for all the kind comments. I do hope that my story saves someone else from making the same mistake I did.

A couple of points:

1. I usually do research my trips quite extensively. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to do so before this trip. Mistake #1.

2. Please do not think I have an altogether hostile view of Turkey or the Turkish people. I wasn't there long enough to form an opinion and, from all the positive stories I have heard about travel in Turkey, I do not doubt that my experience was an abberation.

3. I almost certainly will go back to Istanbul. In fact, I expect to be spending time there later this year/early next year for my next deal. Part of my reason for coming home was the knowledge that I will have a chance to go back.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Thanks again for all the kind comments. I do hope that my story saves someone else from making the same mistake I did.

1. I usually do research my trips quite extensively. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to do so before this trip. Mistake #1.
I'm not sure that there are that many lessons that should be dragged out of a crappy experience of this sort. Sure, you can resolve that you'll never do X or Y or Z again, and that may indeed keep you "safe" in the future, but you may miss out on living in the real world.

If you get mugged at night in NYC the right solution isn't to swear off NYC, insist on choreographed trips, or conclude that NYC is only OK in the daylight hours.

Three experiences from my youth: I met a nice native lady of Athens, talked for hours over dinner and drinks, rode the train all over the city to places I'd never have imagined going, and hung out at her place. It was a chance to see the real lives of Athenians.

Another: getting way lost on one of the Greek Islands, and hitching a ride back to town in a garbage truck. A lot of fun, a great story.

Another: in Fethiye, on the south coast of turkey, paying a muscular lady five bucks to drag me on a tube behind her speedboat. She made a game of trying to swing me as close as possible to shore, threatening to dash me on the rocks. It was genuinely dangerous. And great fun.

You think you should have had control over the outcome. The criminal who took you could have as easily pulled a knife, or threatened you directly with a bunch of his oversized pals. Consider this a polite mugging and you may feel better about what happened.

I've spent weeks alone in Turkey, walking in through places where poverty is the norm, and never had this sort of trouble. I haven't run into the bad luck that you have, though I recognize that walking in strange places has an element of risk. I think the risks are worth taking.

BTW, if you're interested in ideas for your next trip, I wrote up a lengthy trip report after my last trip last year. It has a collection of ideas for things you might do in Istanbul. Also encourage you to check out Cappadocia, Ephesus, Fethiye, and Edgidir.

-KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.