Reload this Page >

"If you could emigrate, where would you go?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If you could emigrate, where would you go?"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:13 pm

^ No Ifs' Ands Or Buts'........................poland First Choice, Then Slovenia, Slovakia.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:46 pm

Have you ever lived (I mean, really lived) anywhere outside of the U.S.? Also, is cost a consideration?

I am on my 2nd Expat relocation outside of the U.S., in Western Europe (first was Asia) and I have to say that if I could relocate anywhere (barring other considerations), it would be right back to the U.S.A. If nothing else, living abroad has made me really appreciate how good living in America really is. The grass is always greener on the other side, and I would caution you to try living somewhere abroad for a trial period of time before you pull up all your roots. And when I say living, I mean dealing with the realities of maintaining a car and residence on your own, immigration laws, banking, and getting access to products and services you are now used to and take for granted.

On possible options, although I might give certain Asian countries the thumbs up, I personally would not recommend most of Western Europe for a number of reasons (Except possibly the UK, but it would be expensive, and would likely not fit your criteria for being "non-aligned").

Good luck.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Only one place that I would go...Saint-Barthélemy.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
And simply not true. I've talked to recent emigrants, seen the pix.

Plus, given that they can't do *anything* else right, being able to do complex medical care (as opposed to basic nursing and 1950's antibiotics) is not credible.
Yet they live as long as US citizens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ife_expectancy

I suspect the "emigrants" you are referring to might be some of those thugs who invaded the streets of Little Havana in August.
What's next ? Are you going to ask the panhandler at the corner for an evaluation of the Fed's monetary policy ?

Anyway, going back to the OT, Vancouver. I've spoken.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TierFlyer
And simply not true. I've talked to recent emigrants, seen the pix.

Plus, given that they can't do *anything* else right, being able to do complex medical care (as opposed to basic nursing and 1950's antibiotics) is not credible.
Well they certainly have all the statistics on their side. If you have some other evidence, I'd be interested in seeing it. Everything I've seen indicates that medical care there would meet the OP's needs, though I don't know what Cuba's regulations are for foreigners in this type of situation.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:06 pm

I'd go to American Samoa. It has a wonderful climate, is very beautiful, and the people are very friendly. Most of the residents speak English. Any American can move their without a visa for as long as one wants, since it's technically apart of the U.S. However, American Samoa is in the South Pacific and has more in common with Samoa than the United States.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:35 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Question

Originally Posted by jennifer2456
I'd go to American Samoa. It has a wonderful climate, is very beautiful, and the people are very friendly. Most of the residents speak English. Any American can move their without a visa for as long as one wants, since it's technically apart of the U.S. However, American Samoa is in the South Pacific and has more in common with Samoa than the United States.

interesting place

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/aq.html

half way between Hawaii and NZ.

must be a very low cost of living there, the

GDP - per capita (PPP): $5,800 (2005 est.)

also not to be overlooked is the abundance of young south pacific women
Median age: female: 23.4 years (2006 est.)

hope you and your island girl haram have a nice time on the island, however. getting to and from usa mainland is going to be an expensive proposition. check out flights and prices from where you are to "PPG". it aint' cheap!

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Oct 5, 2006 at 7:40 pm
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA
seeing as I already have europe at my doorstep I dunno! I'd like to live in canada, truely beautiful and the same goes for new zealand...but if I had to choose a foreign speaking nation I'd go for Japan
Old Oct 5, 2006, 7:51 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Jpn?

Three mentions of Japan - and I think it's great that so many people love Japan, but I would not want to retire here if I had a medical condition and without a "support network" of friends and family in the country.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
Namibia? Do they have good hospitals in Windhoek?
Ask Angelina Jolie!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I read the question as "If you could," so I'd pick Switzerland. If I could (afford to).
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kuroneko
Have you ever lived (I mean, really lived) anywhere outside of the U.S.? Also, is cost a consideration?

I am on my 2nd Expat relocation outside of the U.S., in Western Europe (first was Asia) and I have to say that if I could relocate anywhere (barring other considerations), it would be right back to the U.S.A. If nothing else, living abroad has made me really appreciate how good living in America really is. The grass is always greener on the other side, and I would caution you to try living somewhere abroad for a trial period of time before you pull up all your roots. And when I say living, I mean dealing with the realities of maintaining a car and residence on your own, immigration laws, banking, and getting access to products and services you are now used to and take for granted.

On possible options, although I might give certain Asian countries the thumbs up, I personally would not recommend most of Western Europe for a number of reasons (Except possibly the UK, but it would be expensive, and would likely not fit your criteria for being "non-aligned").

Good luck.
I appreciate your comments and understand what you mean about the green
grass proverb. I have lived out of country, and primarily in a working context rather than recreational, although I have done some of that too. I was in Jamaica for over a yr, Belize when it was still British Honduras. So I can appreciate the complexities you are referring to. It took a life threating illness
for me to reaccess my life, My material wants and needs are few. Matter of
fact it took me over 2 yrs, just to get rid of the acumulation. I love my Country, I am just looking for a differnent lifestyle. And if i do decide to live
elsewhere, i will spend a good amount of time there before i make a total
commitment. Thanks for a informing post.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by grumpy1
I had a liver transplant last yr and will have to return to the US once a yr for a medical evaluation. So I also need to be close to a modern Medical Facility.
THANKS........
This may make emigrating to New Zealand difficult. The New Zealand immigration standards include having a physical -- because they have socialized medicine, they are very concerned about admitting immigrants with health problems who are moving there for the free healthcare. I have no personal experience with this (I'm a citizen, but have considered the emigration aspect for my husband), so you may be OK. It's worth checking out the NZ immigration department website -- loads of good info there.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:22 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I read the question as "If you could," so I'd pick Switzerland. If I could (afford to).
only if i could afford
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't see any posters from behind an iron curtain, so we all "could" emigrate. As Nike says, "Just Do It". I did and I am quite happily living in France now. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.