FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   How do you deal with temp and fan control in hotel rooms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/607516-how-do-you-deal-temp-fan-control-hotel-rooms.html)

iwebslinger Sep 30, 2006 11:03 am

How do you deal with temp and fan control in hotel rooms

Agggh. I hate being in hotels. Away from family, away from wife and new baby. So hard to sleep. Newer beds that major chains are putting in their rooms make it easier to sleep in but there is nothing like sleeping at home in your own bed. The thing that gets to me the most is the temperature and fan control in rooms. We were in BOS at an Embassy Suites and the hotel was great except for the temperature control. The fan would come on and blow really hard and then would quit. The fan would blow right on to the bed. When we woke up we were dry from the fan. What do you do?

b1513 Sep 30, 2006 11:16 am

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Agggh.but there is nothing like sleeping The fan would blow right on to the bed. When we woke up we were dry from the fan. What do you do?

One night the blower was so bad at the Hilton at King of Prussia that I complained to the manager and he gave me 1/2 off the room price the next time I stayed there.

Sometimes you can't shut the blower up at all so you turn it off. Then an hour later you're dying of the heat (or cold). There's no winning that game.

iwebslinger Sep 30, 2006 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by b1513

Sometimes you can't shut the blower up at all so you turn it off. Then an hour later you're dying of the heat (or cold). There's no winning that game.

Exactly.

Oxb Sep 30, 2006 5:05 pm

I bought a GE through the wall HVAC unit for the guest house at our lake property. This is the kind of thing that you find in many motel rooms. While I was installing the unit I found in the instructions how the temperature ranges of the thermostat can be restricted. This knowledge has been usefull a couple of times. ;)

peachfront Sep 30, 2006 5:57 pm

Can this knowledge be shared or is it too complicated to post?

I've handled these issues by cursing and swearing, without notable success.

Originally Posted by Oxb
I bought a GE through the wall HVAC unit for the guest house at our lake property. This is the kind of thing that you find in many motel rooms. While I was installing the unit I found in the instructions how the temperature ranges of the thermostat can be restricted. This knowledge has been usefull a couple of times. ;)

AX9465 Sep 30, 2006 6:07 pm

for me it was finding a temperature I am comfortable to sleep (a) under hotel provided blanket (b) under single bedsheet and (c) without anything. it appeared to be (a) 72F (b) 80F (c) 90F. After determining that, it become easy - when you check-in just analyse your situation and adjust thermostat (if ajustable) or reduce amount of coveralls.

AX

obscure2k Sep 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Although, not always possible, I try and find hotels with windows which open. I sleep much better with fresh air. Unfortunately, this has become more and more of a challenge, particularly in the U.S.

AX9465 Sep 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Although, not always possible, I try and find hotels with windows which open. I sleep much better with fresh air. Unfortunately, this has become more and more of a challenge, particularly in the U.S.

Interesting... I wonder if anybody ever tried to sleep with the room door open - corridors are air-conditioned usually to something like 68F...
AX

lance6 Sep 30, 2006 6:17 pm

If the fan can't be controlled, I'll dampen a towel and hang it off the back of the chair directly in front of the fan.

I am not sure if it really does anything, but the optimist in me believes that it helps introduce some humidity into those oft times dry dry rooms.

iwebslinger Sep 30, 2006 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by lance6
If the fan can't be controlled, I'll dampen a towel and hang it off the back of the chair directly in front of the fan.

I am not sure if it really does anything, but the optimist in me believes that it helps introduce some humidity into those oft times dry dry rooms.

I have done this with units that are under the window. You know the units where you have to press down or uses knobs. In the winter time I would wet a towel and introduce humidity in the dry winter air.

alanh Sep 30, 2006 9:29 pm

I prefer to have independent fan and cooling/heating controls. It's less disruptive to me to have the fan running 100% of the time, than it stopping and starting all night.

Oxb Oct 1, 2006 9:49 am

Originally Posted by peachfront
Can this knowledge be shared or is it too complicated to post?

I've handled these issues by cursing and swearing, without notable success.

Well, you need a screwdriver. And look at page 9 of this PDF file as an example for a GE unit. I have found the same thing on a Fedders unit in a uncomfortably warm room in SC once upon a time ;)

Jim90068 Oct 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Just spend 5 nights at a 5* hotel in So of France, only costing $550+ per night, and because it was October and it was unseasonably warm ( or because they're close to Italy where a/c only works from June 1 - Sept 30).....the target temp they were shooting [officially] for in the rooms was 22C...about 72 F. Had to be warmer than that but there was no actual thermometer readings in the room. Windows could open, but it was way too noisy and humid to do that.

Awful sleeping in that kind of environment.

Mr. Vker Oct 12, 2006 2:57 pm

I like to keep a cool room with air circulating all of the time.

Constant "white noise" is no problem for me, I often sleep with the TV on.

What I cannot stand is the constant on/off of the condenser(?). It is always sudden and sometimes so loud that I spring out of bed because of the noise. Its very disruptive.

thegeneral Oct 12, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm glad this bothers someone else too. Most HVAC units are way too loud. I don't know why you need something that big and noisy for one small room. Also, most of them don't have any automatic control. Your choices are no HVAC, way too cold or way too warm.