Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cancellations due to weather...but probably not true

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

cancellations due to weather...but probably not true

I just had a flight cancelled for 5 hours from now because of weather (TVC-ORD tonight at 7:15pm). They have rescheduled me for tomorrow morning.

I think AA was being overly aggressive in taking advantage of possibly using the weather as an excuse to cancel real flights.

The weather at both TVC and ORD does not seem that bad...plus how do they now about flights 5 hours from now.

What are my options on these cases?

How can you prove if it was the weather or not and force rule 240?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:42 pm

The problem with weather cancellations is that they often do not have much to do with where one is or where one is going. If the aircraft that you were supposed to be flying on is grounded due to weather somewhere enroute to your departure point, then there would be no aircraft for your flight and hence your flight is liable to be cancelled due to weather. Weather issues in ORD, for example, often affect flights in far away places because aircraft cannot get in and out of that airport easily when weather bogs things down. One way to try to find out is to try to figure out where your aircraft was supposed to be before it arrived at your departure airport--track it back from there. Flightaware might be a help in that regard.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
In the October CO inflight magazine they actually addressed this issue in Ask CO Insider. They explained it that all the planes are flying on highways in the sky (cute) and that sometimes there is bad weather in between point a & point b. That causes the "highway" to provide detours. Do ease congestion on these detours they hold or cancel flts due to weather or ATC.

Not sure if I believe it any more that it is in print.....
Old Oct 13, 2006, 5:14 pm

Programs: Peon in all
A flight from LAX to SFO, when LAX is 80 and clear, may be cancelled due to wx - because the jet is scheduled to arrive from JFK or BOS, which are shut down due to a blizzard, and the A/C is stuck on the east coast!

So, you can not always just go by the wx outside your window!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this thread has been cross-posted in the AA Forum, I'm going to close this thread. If interested in the topic, please follow in AA.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.