FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   All other Cities in the world seem dull after I saw X City? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/599889-all-other-cities-world-seem-dull-after-i-saw-x-city.html)

greenery Sep 9, 2006 5:35 am

All other Cities in the world seem dull after I saw X City?

Have you ever seen a City in your travels around the world that just put everything else in the dust and set the standard? This City may have been dirty, dark, smoggy, or poverty filled, (or beautiful) but was just so interesting and exotic that all other places seemed dull in comparison. Maybe it is something off the beaten path, or out of the traditional tourist loop, but still welcoming to outsiders.

What is the most stimulating and interesting City on earth for a traveler?

AJLondon Sep 9, 2006 8:05 am

Cape Town and/or Hong Kong.

Bullsman89 Sep 9, 2006 8:13 am

Hong Kong

1 More vote for Hong Kong or perhaps for its glitz, Dubai

RustyC Sep 9, 2006 8:15 am

Bangkok. Not always in the most positive way, but you get the feeling of being in someplace truly different, and after you adapt to things being not always of a western way (good or bad), you start to see the depth of what's to discover.

Rampo Sep 9, 2006 8:17 am

Bangkok, for pretty much the same reasons given by RustyC, followed close by Hong Kong.

MilesAndMore Sep 9, 2006 8:30 am

Mumbai. You wonder how it all runs.

THE TRAVELER Sep 9, 2006 8:43 am

BUFFALO, NEW YORK..............Like being at a funeral and wondering when the person will die and be buried????? My hometown!

greenwood Sep 9, 2006 8:57 am

Istanbul

Surely one of the most captivating cities in the world.

747LWW Sep 9, 2006 9:19 am

Picking one city from my list is so difficult but if I must...no I cannot---Vienna/Prague

pbiflyer Sep 9, 2006 9:36 am

Rome for me. Wlaking down streets that were thousands of years old, the amazing architecture, the art, the Vatican, the people, the neighborhoods, all amazing.

ksuckow Sep 9, 2006 9:50 am

Hong Kong for me.

jfh1107 Sep 9, 2006 10:01 am

Paris and Bangkok

hoyateach Sep 9, 2006 10:10 am

Tokyo. I never did figure out how Bill Murray could be bored in Tokyo in Lost in Translation (which I hated, BTW).

Raffles Sep 9, 2006 10:51 am

Marrakech

However, BKK when I was 23 (quite a long time ago now) set the standard at the time.

Harrald Sep 9, 2006 11:36 am

I've been to plenty of dull cities. I agree that Buffalo is one of the dullist. But so far I haven't been anywhere that outshines all others. I lived most of my life in New York city and I think London is pretty groovy, but every city I've been to offers something to make it "Better" than any other place. I hope I never get that "I've found Xanadu" feeling. If that ever happens it's time to hang it up.