Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

All other Cities in the world seem dull after I saw X City?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All other Cities in the world seem dull after I saw X City?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo. The ultimate urban experience, astonishing place. Though I doubt I will ever find Bangkok, Hong Kong, NYC or London dull. Singapore on the other hand....
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:58 am

Smile

I haven't been to Hong Kong or Bangkok. But Istanbul was great. And Cairo because of the museum--I could of spent much longer there. The constant horn honking was strange. Great room right above the Nile and the pyramids right there. I loved Jerusalem too, great guide, great history.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Rome, it's one of the most amazing cities that I've ever visited. Just walking around and looking at the buildings you think you're in some sort of museum however it's possible that the building just may be the DMV.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Edinburgh. I can't explain why it beguiles me so, but it does. It might be that it looks good at all time of the day or year, or that there's so much history and culture.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind at some point in the future
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
In my own country: San Francisco (it was sooooo different in the 1960s than it is now)

Outside my home country: Rome (a living musiem, with equal emphasis on both aspects)
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Moscow, definetly not dull by any standards, although people seem to appear very gloomy
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Cambodia, BKK, Kabul & Vietnam top my list ^
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Florence, of course. Astonishing beauty everywhere you turn.

And I love the nightlife of Madrid.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Agree 100%! including the right right to revise at a later date.

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Edinburgh. I can't explain why it beguiles me so, but it does. It might be that it looks good at all time of the day or year, or that there's so much history and culture.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind at some point in the future
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hong Kong again. Completely captivated by the place. Parts of it make Las Vegas feel like Omaha.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I have loved and enjoyed every city I have ever visited. All of them are interesting and exciting.

I must admit, however, that I have never seen any city (including Hong Kong) that had quite the exciting rythm of NYC, which a UK traveler once described to me as London on Speed!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My vote goes to Hong Kong so far but I hear that Istanbul may pass it by when I visit that City next month.

In general I feel that ancient "developing" or third world places are far more interesting but harder to get their finger on because of language issues, poorly developed tourist infrastructure and extreme poverty that makes it difficult to mix with the local population. I would like to have a world traveling Journalist answer the original question if he/she has access to local contacts that show him the real City.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:03 am

Paris.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
Stockholm. I've never found another capital city that seemed so peaceful. In fact it's the only place I've ever been able to let work/stess slip completely out of site.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 2p/Starwood/AA/TG
Originally Posted by hoyateach
Tokyo. I never did figure out how Bill Murray could be bored in Tokyo in Lost in Translation (which I hated, BTW).
Not to sidetrack the issue on hand, but I think the character Bill Murray played being bored is a good lesson for people to go out and see the world, rather than just staying in the hotel. I agree that Tokyo is really fantastic along with Bangkok (for very different reasons).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.