FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   too large a luggage for a RJ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/596306-too-large-luggage-rj.html)

neuro0 Aug 30, 2006 11:14 am

too large a luggage for a prop plane?

Will go on a international trip soon that involve two segments on a prop plane, likely a DH-8 on delta, one inbound and one outbound. We mostly likely will have two pieces of large check-in baggage. Would it be wise to avoid prop so that my baggages will most likely travel with me?
My other choice would be Jetblue, althoung it is a longer layover and about $100 more for us.
Any advice is welcome.

ocean2731 Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm

If you're checking the luggage, you should be fine. The overhead bins can be rather small on prop planes, though. Sometimes wheeled computer bags are too big.

That said, I once took off from the College Station, TX (CLL), and looked out the window as we lifted off to see my suitcase sitting beside the runway. Yep, it was one of about three sitting there. That was the exception, though. I used to fly props around the Gulf Coast and never had a problem with my suitcase being too big to check.

SAT Lawyer Aug 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
Will go on a international trip soon that involve two segments on a prop plane, likely a DH-8 on delta, one inbound and one outbound. We mostly likely will have two pieces of large check-in baggage. Would it be wise to avoid prop so that my baggages will most likely travel with me?

I don't think that checking baggage on a turboprop presents any additional risks over checking baggage on a mainline jet, save for potential weight and balance issues that usually result in the offloading of passengers, not the luggage of passengers who actually wind up taking the flight.

However, if you want a little more peace of mind, see if you can downsize your luggage and take with you something that will fit in the overhead compartment of your mainline flight (and meet the applicable size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage). On the turboprop flights, you can gate check that luggage, dropping it off and retrieving it planeside.

neuro0 Aug 30, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've never fly turboprop before and I have read on flyertalk that RJ would sometimes leave baggage behind because of weight issue. My connection is a different airline on two separate tickets. I'm afraid that I might end up leaving the States without my luggages.

rkkwan Aug 30, 2006 8:47 pm

Just for the record, RJ = Regional Jet. A turboprop by definition is not a RJ. [Even though the turboprop engine is not that different internally from a turbofan "jet".]

ocean2731 Aug 30, 2006 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've never fly turboprop before and I have read on flyertalk that RJ would sometimes leave baggage behind because of weight issue. My connection is a different airline on two separate tickets. I'm afraid that I might end up leaving the States without my luggages.

I was in Houston in the mid 90's checking in for a puddle jumper to Louisiana. A guy in front of me in line was flying to a town in the Rio Grande Valley and was checking a chrome BUMPER for a car as his luggage. He'd come to Houston to buy a part for a car he was renovating. Granted, it looked like it was from a little sports car, but still. I saw a guy check a bucket seat once, too.

After a few years of taking the hopper flights, nothing fazed me. I take that back. If there were more than two groups of singing missionaries waiting in the gate seating area, the perkiness could get overwhelming.

BamaVol Aug 31, 2006 6:44 am

Thanks for the advice.

Not to worry you, but I experience a higher level of delayed luggage when a line change occurs. If there's any way to pack ultralight on the outbound, carryons only, I'd go for it. Buy what you need at your destination and check it for the return. At a minimum, don't check anything you need for the first 2 days.

xinerevelle Aug 31, 2006 6:59 am

95% of my flights start out on an ATR72 TurboProp, and these days they all seem to connect to a CRJ... :(

A typical rollaboard case does not fit in the overhead bins of either type of aircraft. You have to gate check it (drop it next to the stairs and get a claim ticket, then reverse the process when you immediately deplane after the flight).

Weight issues seems to happen most frequently when there are unusual things on the plane... like the time I was flying home at the same time the bulk of the IronMan triatheletes were also travelling to my town with their bikes as checked luggage. Lots of people were denied boarding on three flights because the planes were overweight (I just kept taking bumps all day. :D ) because of the bikes.

PS, if you really ARE on a turboprop then make sure you get a seat in the REAR of the plane since these load from the back. Plus, it's quieter (relatively) in the back of the plane than in the front.

neuro0 Aug 31, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks for the advice.

The thing that worry me is I can't accept any bump (will miss my international flight) and if the baggage get delay, I have no way to get it in my destination assuming I board my next international flight. I am sure Delta will not ship the baggage internationally.
PS. I am taking two full size hardshell suitcases.