Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you overcome that feeling, when you just don't want to travel for work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you overcome that feeling, when you just don't want to travel for work?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Thanks for the responses everyone. You know I was doing pretty good through the winter and spring until this summer hit. Lately, I've been away for 2-3 weeks at a time, and even when I'm home for 3 days in between they always demanding stuff out of me work-wise. Due to the nature of my work, it requires travel - thats fine. What I didn't realize was the intensity of my work, and the expectations when I am traveling. When I'm on the road, I'm routinely putting in 16-18 hour days. At least 12-14 hours at the client, then another 4 hours back in the hotel in the evening. I always attempt to fit in a work out in the evening. I usually go for a 30-60 minute run and then hit the gym for a little bit - helps me clear my mind. Its a must, but sometimes the client dinners (which I have now learned to hate) get in the way. When I end up being there over the weekend, I take one day off completely - no work, but the other day I end up spending most of the day working just to get caught up. My clients & my company expect us to meet these deadlines so there is always this enormous sense of urgency to get things done. I attempt keep my weekends at home clear, but usually I have to do stuff to prepare for the next week.

The summer is what did me in, as that has been my favorite time of the year to go out and enjoy the evenings. I haven't had the luxury this summer, except for every 2-3 weekends. I have lost complete track of time. I agree I need to cut back, because I am disliking travel. 50% would be a happy medium, as I can't give it up completely, but I want some time to have a normal life at home too. Unfortunetely, I feel that is going to require a career change, which I am not quite ready for at this time.

I'm planning to take 2 weeks off in October and just clear my head. Like others have said, it will be time to do some soul searching. Right now, I've just been too busy to ponder all of this.

Its amazing what travel and the road life will do to you. I've always had some travel in my other jobs - maybe a few nights a month, but my travel has quickly escalated to nearly 100% now. I don't know how some of you do it, especially for as many years as you have. You're a better men (or woman) than me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.