Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do people really change into pajamas?????

Old Aug 17, 06, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver

I've never seen this before, but was told that several people on my friends recent flight to LHR changed into flannel bottoms for the flight (these were not young kids. Anyone else seen this?

I am leaving on Monday for LHR, Biz class, but sure wasn't planning on wearing my PJs!

cat22
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:43 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cat22
I've never seen this before, but was told that several people on my friends recent flight to LHR changed into flannel bottoms for the flight (these were not young kids. Anyone else seen this?

I am leaving on Monday for LHR, Biz class, but sure wasn't planning on wearing my PJs!

cat22

Yes they do - but you'll tend to see it happen more in F than J. AA does not provide "sleep suits" in F on the long haul flights, but BA, QF, and CX do, and many people bring those with them on longer flights. One of the reasons it's offered is so your clothing will not be wrinkled upon arrival, allowing you to walk off the plane looking sharp.
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the time. Some airlines even provide PJs for First Class customers.
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:49 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
There is nothing better than to get out of your clothes and into Pajamas a long flight in F.
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Yeah, I almost always change into PJs on long haul overnight flights, even when I must supply my own. I find it far more comfortable to sleep in pajama bottoms and a tank top or sleeveless T than jeans and a shirt.
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by cat22

cat22
Certainly! I always make sure to bring BA pj's hoping to rub AA's corporate nose into the fact that they're too d*** cheap to provide them, while all the other OW airlines with a f/c product do. But I suppose I should prioritize my wish list - decent food and a duvet come before pj's. [OT: on CX884 a couple of weeks ago the look-at-me-I'm-splendid type in 3A ignored the pj's he'd been issued and undressed to a tee short and boxers, treating all the ladies to his hairy legs. The f/a eventually brought a blanket and covered him up.]
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
There is nothing better than to get out of your clothes and into Pajamas a long flight in F.
Well I can think of better things but I do change into pyjamas if they are supplied and I bring along an old pair if flying in J.
Old Aug 17, 06, 8:59 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Trying to sleep in street clothes, especially on a 6000 to 7000 mile flight, is no fun. Especially if you really need to sleep, so you don't land and end up with a sleep pattern that is many wrong time zones away. I prefer to call them flying suits, which I have even used on the one coach trip I had, AA SJC-NRT, though I did get a few looks. So what? I was comfortable. CX FC black with Cathay green trim and SQ's gray FC sleeping suits are the best, though I heard that JL recently changed from a very heavy material to something lighter.
Old Aug 17, 06, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA moderator note

Since this is not AA specific, but rather a general point, it'll be moved to TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 17, 06, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rbAA
Trying to sleep in street clothes, especially on a 6000 to 7000 mile flight, is no fun. Especially if you really need to sleep, so you don't land and end up with a sleep pattern that is many wrong time zones away. I prefer to call them flying suits, which I have even used on the one coach trip I had, AA SJC-NRT, though I did get a few looks. So what? I was comfortable. CX FC black with Cathay green trim and SQ's gray FC sleeping suits are the best, though I heard that JL recently changed from a very heavy material to something lighter.
Excellent. thanks for all of the inputs. PJs will be in my carryon next Monday.

Thanks again!

cat22
Old Aug 17, 06, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
For any long flight this is a must, IMO. I like the CX F product but I keep a couple of 'flying suits' for just that purpose. I always bring a pair of eye shades too. I have a few pair of CX 'terry cloth' style shades that work well and are very comfortable. Add a pair of ear plugs, 2 tylenol PM and a nice glass or 2 of wine with dinner - JFK/HKG seems like a short hop!
Old Aug 17, 06, 10:20 am

On long flights I always change.
Old Aug 17, 06, 10:28 am

Programs: American, United
Originally Posted by JohnAx
on CX884 a couple of weeks ago the look-at-me-I'm-splendid type in 3A ignored the pj's he'd been issued and undressed to a tee short and boxers, treating all the ladies to his hairy legs.
Correction -- treating some of the ladies and some of the gents to his hairy legs....
Old Aug 17, 06, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by millionmiler
On long flights I always change.
Same here - whenever I fly longhaul First (not very often!) or business class (a couple of round trips a year), I change into PJs.

Virgin had them out to their Upper Class passengers. Don't fly Virgin much at the moment, but like to take my own PJs.

If you are paying for a great seat that turns into a flat bed, then generally you want a good night's sleep. I am more comfortable, cooler and sleep better in PJs. I tend to like a 3ish hour nap on longaul day flights too (i.e. LHR-LAX), so will normally change into my PJs and nap on those too...

My husband doesn't change though. We tends to travel in jeans/troussers and a t-shirt and is perfectly happy/comfortable in those...

Boo
Old Aug 17, 06, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
Virgin had them out to their Upper Class passengers. Don't fly Virgin much at the moment, but like to take my own PJs.
And a good job too since VS recycle any of the PJs that they hand out if they are left behind at the end of the flight, used or otherwise

Search this Thread