a sudden fear of flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

a sudden fear of flying

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 5:04 am

Wow some really interesting points!
From a psychological perspective what precipitated the fear isn't as important, what is maintaining the fear is more pertinent. Checking behaviour does not allow you to dis-confirm your fear e.g., I was safe in the end because I checked that my seatbelt was on 20 times, instead of being safe because everything was actually fine. Also catastrophic thinking e.g., misinterpreting turbulence to mean that something is wrong with the plane. Deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation are efficacious in reducing the intensity of the bodies response e.g., sweaty palms. Cognitive therapy helps challenge those catastrophic thoughts e.g., what is the evidence for and against the thought. Behavioural activation also helps you test your thoughts in a safe environment and reduce the intensity of the thought through exposure.
Flying phobia is a phobia, described in the Diagnostic Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5), signifying that it is indeed a psychological phenomenon, therefore seeking a mental health service could be of benefit.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:02 pm

I was supposed to fly out to Poland today to meet girlfriends family and then come back with girlfriend in a few days, I missed the flight due to lack of sleep(I worked as a Doorman on new years eve and finished very late) Anxiety, and my OCD kicked in also making me miss the flight, I still feel awful and very bad for her, I sort of ruined New Year, I feel a bit pathetic, I pretty much broke down earlier. Frustrating because I can do a dangerous job like Security and Door work in a relaxed manner but some things like travelling drive me nuts.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by pacer142
Turbulence can be fun when you're high enough up that you're not going to hit anything. I don't, however, like it immediately before landing, and do get a fair adrenaline kick off it and a heavy "come-down" when the brakes come on.

Neil
It is so weird you say this. I also had a sudden onset of fear of flying. Back when I loved flying, I used to think mild turbulence felt fun too.

Now, I am deathly scared to fly. I used to think it was my fear of heights but I don't think that's it as I wasn't really scared of heights when it came to a plane before. I was more scared of very tall bridges.

I think stress had a lot to do with my sudden onset. Freshly divorced, was sad about leaving my dog for a week, late to the airport. A lot of things hit me over a few flights and I haven't been on a plane since. I even take Clonazepam but I've become so dependent, it doesn't really work anymore.

sucks.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tmmontgomery
It is so weird you say this...
Ah, you're responding to a seven-year-old post in a stale twelve-year-old thread. It's considered unproductive around here to dredge up very old discussions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.