Wiki Posts
Search

Air Force One

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Air Force One

The President was in CLE today and was woundering does one of the flight tracker sites track the comings and going of Air Force 1. I checked Flight Aware, they show a DL 8967 and DL 8967 from MDW-CLE and CLE-ADW which probably is the press charter. Maybe for security reasons this information is not avaliable but fiqured anything flying could be tracked.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The details won't be published for obvious reasons.

More than just Air Force 1, it turns out that most aircraft owners can opt out of having their flight details published in sites like FlightAware. Just file a few forms and it is done.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
From the FlightAware FAQ section

Can I track military aircraft? What about presidential movements in Air Force One?

FlightAware does not track military aircraft and presidential movement flights (e.g., Air Force One, Marine One, etc.) are operated by the US military.
http://flightaware.com/about/faq.rvt...tresultunknown
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Moving this to TravelBuzz!

Please follow it there.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the presidential calendar is a top secert. my wife would have to print it every now and then, and there would be a lot of secret service present, and she was not allowed to see the thing.

when he lands at andrews, a huge area is cleared.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
the presidential calendar is a top secert. my wife would have to print it every now and then, and there would be a lot of secret service present, and she was not allowed to see the thing.

when he lands at andrews, a huge area is cleared.
Your wife had access to print it but not look at it? Only in government...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
AF 1 is a US Air Force operated callsign. You won't see that, or any other military or DoD callsign, be it a C-17 freighter or an Army Black Hawk on any flight tracker site.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Would you be able to hear it if it is operating in the area? Like on United's channel 9 and say you are passing through the same controller's area?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, AA Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, UA Premier Executive
I doubt very seriously that you'd be able to see or hear anything about AF1 while it's in the air. Or any of the other support aircraft either for that matter.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Your wife had access to print it but not look at it? Only in government...
just think about it. you'll figure out a way to do it. the secret service did.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by cvflyer
I doubt very seriously that you'd be able to see or hear anything about AF1 while it's in the air. Or any of the other support aircraft either for that matter.
Odds are you wouldn't hear them because they were using a UHF radio. Military aircraft generally use the UHF as a primary with a VHF as a backup. Civilian aircraft use the VHF as a primary and very few even have a UHF onboard.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
Would you be able to hear it if it is operating in the area? Like on United's channel 9 and say you are passing through the same controller's area?
Yep, you can hear it if you're listening to a tower or ramp where it is. I've done this a few times, but never on channel 9, only on on my radios. Its kind of interesting, because the AF actually replaces the tower controllers with AF controllers while the aircraft is present, so you'll hear some interesting accents sometimes.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:28 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 2wheels
Yep, you can hear it if you're listening to a tower or ramp where it is. I've done this a few times, but never on channel 9, only on on my radios. Its kind of interesting, because the AF actually replaces the tower controllers with AF controllers while the aircraft is present, so you'll hear some interesting accents sometimes.
I've listened to AF1 both via liveatc.net when it is at SFO and on UA's Ch9* both on the while taxiing at SFO** an while flying en-route and it is quite exciting to hear but iirc, the tower controllers at SFO were the same voices I've always heard (unless the controller has an evil twin bother with the same voice )

*In both cases, the Captain made a point to announce it for anyone listening ^.

**Taxiing up until the mandatory ground stop until AF1 taxis and takes off.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer

Yes, I have heard it a couple of times on UA Channel 9
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by cvflyer
I doubt very seriously that you'd be able to see or hear anything about AF1 while it's in the air.
Here and here.

Originally Posted by 2wheels
Its kind of interesting, because the AF actually replaces the tower controllers with AF controllers while the aircraft is present, so you'll hear some interesting accents sometimes.
I'm not so sure about that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.