Reload this Page >

What is the point of turndown service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the point of turndown service?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Those who don't like it should definitely avoid cruise ships. @:-)
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I ***HATE*** the turndown service. A typical business day for me means seeing clients with sales reps, then out to dinner. That means I have about 5 minutes to race into my room, go to the bathroom, change my pantyhose, comb my hair, etc., then go back to the lobby where someone is waiting to take me out to dinner. I leave the room looking like a tornado hit it! I don't like the idea of someone coming in and seeing that mess.

When I leave in the morning, I have time to tidy up a bit for the mid-morning cleaning crew.

Here is my true story. I was at the Worthington in Ft Worth, TX. The room was laid out with a little foyer so you can't see directly into the room from the hall. I turned out all the lights, but left the foyer light on so it would be light when I got back from dinner.

I came back to the room, alone, at about 10:30 pm. I opened my room door and immediately noticed the foyer light was off. Huh? Then I heard TV sound from my room.

I do not like TV and never turn it on in a hotel. I was afraid that someone was in my room. Here I was a female, alone, in business pumps (not sneakers which would be better for running) and someone was in my hotel room. My adrenaline was pumping full blast. I truly did not know what to do.

I carefully peeked around the foyer wall to see what was in my room, figuring that a rapist would not be sitting there waiting for me with the TV blaring away. My best hope it was some regular hotel guest who wondered why someone else's suitcase was in "their" room.

There was no one in my room. The turndown service had been there, and part of the service was to adjust the lights and turn on the TV.

I was furious. Absolutely furious. White-hot furious. My intense fear turned to intense anger in a second. I had been scared out of my wits for NOTHING.

Then, I could not figure out how to turn off the #@$$#@#$ TV!!!! No switches on the TV, and the power cord was permanently wired in the wall. The switches were on the bedside table, built in to the furniture.

That made it even worse.

I called the front desk and told them that I was scared to death by the turndown service, and that I did not want it the next night, the second and last of my stay.

They did it again the next night, ignoring my request. I have never been so mad, in my life, at a hotel. I sent them a scathing letter after I returned home. From then on I would see Worthington ads in the DFW airport concourse and I contemplated leaving Post-it notes on the ad saying "Terrible place. Don't stay here.".
Wow, such anger and hostility when the answer is so obvious. You have a "Do Not Disturb" sign handing on the inside of your door. I suggest you use it. Problem solved.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by BenA
Wow, apparently I'm the only one that hates the hassle of turndown service. My hotel is my home away from home...
You are not alone, though I may go even further. When traveling on my own, I put the DND sign up when I check in. I take it down when I leave. I don't even want new towels or anything. It is my inner sanctum in exchange for my money. After spending the day leading a workshop or in a conference vendor hall, I want to be left alone.

No housekeeping you ask? Two nights is all the more I ever stay.

My wife on the other hand won't tolerate my DND behavior. She loves the new towels, etc.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Do you tip for turndown service. If so, how much???
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Wow, such anger and hostility when the answer is so obvious. You have a "Do Not Disturb" sign handing on the inside of your door. I suggest you use it. Problem solved.
The first night, I was taken totally by surprise, obviously. I did not just say "Oh, bummer, the turndown service" and enter my room. I was seriously afraid of being attacked. Robbed. Raped.

The second day I was out all day from morning to night with a trade show. Had I left the DND sign, my room would not have received its morning cleaning. Foolishly believing that the hotel would honor my request for no turndown service the second night, I saw no reason to leave the trade show in the mid-afternoon, drive across town, put out the DND sign, drive back across town and re-enter the trade show.

You are right - had it been possible I would have put out the DND sign. Now, when checking in to an upscale hotel I do ask about turndown services and decline if possible.

Further, you are right about the extreme anger. It's easy to sit here calmly and think about what I might have done. My reactions that evening were pure emotion, and not at all rational. I do not get angry easily; I am usually a good-natured person. I received a terrible fright when I opened the door and that triggered an emotional response.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: Skyteam
We tip for turndown service if it includes getting ice and extra coffee packets. Also if the bathroom is redone. Just turning down the bed gets nothing. I take the bedspread and or pillows off first thing as they are rarely if ever cleaned.

In China depending on the room you also get fruit and new water bottles.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, unless there is a compelling reason, don't bump threads more than 2 years old! ^
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sipes23
When traveling on my own, I put the DND sign up when I check in. I take it down when I leave. I don't even want new towels or anything.
I have a friend who permanently affixes the DND sign to the door, and when we travel together, I acquiesce. But to me that's like going to a churrascaria and eating only salad.

When I stay at a hotel fancy enough to offer turndown service, I want as much pampering as I can get. That includes turndown service, twice-daily housekeeping, fresh towels every day, clean sheets every day, and chocolates on the pillow. I certainly don't get this at home, but I want it when I'm paying for it!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. A rose on the pillow along with the chocolate.

By the end of our last stay I had a nice bouquet in a water glass
Wow - we LEFT that hotel because it was our honeymoon, and they didn't even do ANYTHING! Sounds like they've changed for the better! We went over to the Grand Floridian

To the OP: When we are at a beach resort, or with our kids, I do LOVE turndown service. I like having the towels replaced and any toiletries refreshed. We tend to shower in the afternoon after a day at the beach, and I have to call for towels if they don't give turndown.

I was so disappointed in the St. Louis Marriott West this summer - there with our kids and they told me they don't do turndown anymore (it is stated in their little book in the room they do, but no they wouldn't). Never staying there again (that's not the reason).
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by micke100
Do you tip for turndown service. If so, how much???
Depends on the hotel/resort and what they're providing. Sometimes just $2, sometimes $5. One time my child got ill, so the housekeeper had to strip a bed for me (big mess). She was so very, very kind, had been the sweetest lady all week, so I gave her a $20. She was surprised. That was at the WDW Dolphin hotel.

If it's a quick turndown, I usually leave a couple of dollars on the bed. If all I have is a $5 on me, and it's a nicer hotel, I leave that. It's not totally expected, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: CO-Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
Remember, unless there is a compelling reason, don't bump threads more than 2 years old! ^
Why not?

Which would be better? Bump an older thread about a particular subject, or put up with the "do a search on a subject before you start a new thread" comments?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by happymommy
Wow - we LEFT that hotel because it was our honeymoon, and they didn't even do ANYTHING! Sounds like they've changed for the better! We went over to the Grand Floridian
My post was from 2006 - before the new GM got there and ruined the hotel.

I won't go back unless there's a compelling reason to do so. The GM is awful and the remodel is worse.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quartermoon
Why not?
Don't ask me. I don't make the rules around here.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I was in Sydney and ended up being pretty ill for a few days so I was hotel bound. I discovered that people came in and out of my room SIX times a day.

1. Regular maid service
2. The guy checking the mini bar
3. The guy coming to fill my ice bucket (which in the three weeks I had already been there had NO idea he was filling the ice bucket every day as I never used it)
4. Housekeeping supervisor to see if the room has been cleaned
5. The mini bar guy AGAIN with the replacement items
6. Turn down service........

Now mind you, this had been going on and I had no idea. I was still going to be in that hotel for another month yet so I very specifically told the front desk, other than regular maid service that I wanted in my room by 9:00 am, I want NO ONE to come in my room unless I call them. It worked pretty well, between that and the do not disturb sign.

I was just surprised at the number of times people come into your room during the course of the day. Some days it is way more than just the regular maid and the turn down service.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I discovered that people came in and out of my room SIX times a day.
That would drive me nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.