Wiki Posts
Search

Protest forced USD conversion on credit cards use outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:03 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by tom911
I've had this happen twice last year in Ireland.
My experience has been that this SCAM is most prevalent in Ireland.
Two years ago at the entrance to Bunratty Castle I walked down the ticket line and informed everyone waiting that they were about to be scammed. The cashier was livid.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:25 am

It's called "dynamic currency conversion" BTW

You might want to read what the Nationwide Building Society (all foreign transactions FREE) says about this "service".
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Thanks for that.

It says at the bottom you can refuse to sign the slip. How will that work in reality? Do I just leave with the bill unpaid?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:28 am
gre

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It says at the bottom you can refuse to sign the slip. How will that work in reality? Do I just leave with the bill unpaid?
Demand that the bill be presented in local currency. When they hand it too you showing USD simply rip it up.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have never had a vendor run a charge in anything but the local currency. Given the extra fees involved, I'd certainly refuse to accept such a charge. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Happened to me in Thailand recently on my HKD card. Was for a large sum (basically a kitchen and three bathrooms worth of fittings/appliances - I was building my house so the difference was in the hundreds of USD equivalent). Took nearly an hour to sort out, but sort it out they finally did, only after the input of my bank in HK.

The biggest cheat is the statement at the bottom of the chit that reads "I acknowledge I have been given the option to pay in my home currency".
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Does it matter which bank is the issuer of the card? Capital One has been more traditional with its Visa and MasterCard products when dealing with foreign fees. Perhaps a wiki on this topic could track which issuing cards have experienced this dynamic currency conversion. Does this happen on AMEX?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:22 am
gre

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Does it matter which bank is the issuer of the card? Capital One has been more traditional with its Visa and MasterCard products when dealing with foreign fees. Perhaps a wiki on this topic could track which issuing cards have experienced this dynamic currency conversion. Does this happen on AMEX?
The SCAM has nothing to do with the issuer of the card, it has to do with individual merchants (or large corporations) figuring out that the can make a bit more money even if it is unscrupulous.

The merchant decides that for your "convenience" they are personally going to convert local curreny to USD. Of course they are also going to include a fat fee for themselves in the process.

Often the poor dumb SOB working the cash register does not know why they are converting; their boss may have just ordered them to do it.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: CO Silver
What about merchants (specifically hotels) who price in USD but then charge your card in local currency? I have seen this frequently in Central/South America. It is the same idea. You are at the mercy of their 'official' exchange rate.

I have only seen the inverse once...and they were only doing it for Amex charges.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:52 am

I have been researching this too after a trip to Europe. This site has a lot on the matter: http://www.travelfinances.com/blog/

They have an interview with an industry person who says that DCC is actually a service, but the site give lots of ways to not to be charged this questionable fee.

My understanding is that the consumer ALWAYS has the choice not to be charged this fee, but sometimes they are pressured by the merchant because the merchant makes $$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.