Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Lost zipper tabs - who do I complain to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, HH, EB & Choice

I lost two zipper tabs on my one year old Samsonite suitcase during a marathon on Delta/NW/KLM. Should I complain to KLM at the airport, or try to contact Samsonite/a dealer?

Jerene
(couldn't ask KLM at the airport bc the suitcase arrived two or three days after I did)
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
The last carrier that hauled the checked bag is where your complaint should be directed.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:11 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Normal wear and tear. Complain to no one.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:44 pm

Paper clips make good substitutes.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
I agree that this is normal wear-and-tear, but I wish that there was a way to better secure those zipper pulls. I rarely check luggage, but EVERY time that I have (3 or four times in the past two years), I lose at least one zipper pull.

I've tried closing that little gap with a pair of pliers, but those zipper heads are brittle and I ended up snapping off the whole ring. I even tried the filling the gap with a little solder, but I've never soldered before and it was a bit of a failure.

Anybody have a good way to secure those pull tabs?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:11 pm
Ken

Programs: Delta Silver
Contact KLM. You should ask for 10,000 miles per zipper as compensation. This is outrageous.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
some brands of luggage break faster than others.

All of my TravelPro ended up with broken pulls. So far my Eagle Creek have been OK. So far. My Delsey hardsided bags have been destroyed 2 times. Each time replaced with new by airline. I'm not buying any more Delsey. Ready to order a Rick Steves bag and call it even.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
normal wear and tear

i bought an 8 dollar backpack about 12 years ago....its been around the world 4 or 5 times....never lost a thing....and if i do.....who cares....its 8 bucks. if you like to travel with stylish luggage....get a black one !!!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, HH, EB & Choice
Originally Posted by airboss
i bought an 8 dollar backpack about 12 years ago....its been around the world 4 or 5 times....never lost a thing....and if i do.....who cares....its 8 bucks. if you like to travel with stylish luggage....get a black one !!!
Well, that's nice if you are able to carry everything. These days I tend to bring more than I want to lug around, and frequently it's more than I can manage to stuff into one backpack.

Anyway - the suitcase zipper design is hopeless, and I expect the tabs will go on breaking until none are left. So basically I feel it's the manufacturer's fault. Anyone have experience with complaining to Samsonite?

Jerene
(who has switched to Victorinox)
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Must be a design thing, as I've not lost any from my Antler cases. A letter expressing your disappointment in this flaw might be the best way forward....

Or try and find a local repairer. I recently tried out my extremely local approved repairer when a handle came off my Antler case... Ł5 to repair instead of Ł60 to replace Am converted over to getting cases repaired instead of replaced unless the shop says they cannot repair them!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Although I am not crazy about their design, Briggs & Riley have a lifetime warranty and will fix anything. One of the consultants in my firm just sent his bag back for a third time (he's hard on bags) and they fix everything with no complaint.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:32 am

Thumbs up Samonsite repairs

Not a zipper story but I've used a Samsonite Oyster hardside for many, many years. A couple of years back the lock broke. One of the wheels was also a bit wonky so I went to my local Samsonite store to look at new cases. The case itself was scuffed of course but otherwise was still good. In conversation with the assistant, she told me to bring the old case in and they'd see if they could fix it. Well they replaced the lock and the wheels while I waited and then charged me a nice round zero for the fix.

Since then the case has been on a few more very long haul trips and is still fine.

Thank you Samsonite.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
All of my TravelPro ended up with broken pulls. So far my Eagle Creek have been OK. So far. My Delsey hardsided bags have been destroyed 2 times. Each time replaced with new by airline. I'm not buying any more Delsey. Ready to order a Rick Steves bag and call it even.
Yet there are people on Flyertalk who angrily question why I (and others like myself) always carry on all my luggage.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:34 am

Some of those "lifetime warranties" on luggage are not all they are cracked up to be. And you pay sooo dearly for the luggage.

Victorinox requires you send the luggage back to the original seller or mfg.

Hartmann repairs at any "authorized" dealer. Not many in the US-most on the East coast.

So what are you supposed to do while your luggage is in limbo land getting repaired some place miles away? Put your stuff in all those free Avon bags they gave away years ago?

I recently found that most "better" shoe repair shops also repair luggage, at least in Phoenix. Had one of my Hartmann's stitched up in a spot, garment bag hanger upper thingy replaced and zipper pulls put back on my carryon. Was very pleasantly surprised when the bill was only $35.00. I can't ship the stuff for repair for $35.00.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
There is an authorized repair place (Brett's Luggage which is also suitcase.com) one town over from us, so no shipping. The Briggs & Riley lifetime guarantee actually seems very good. I just don't think their design is that good. But they do stand behind their products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.