Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who flies direct between Buenos Aires and Asuncion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who flies direct between Buenos Aires and Asuncion?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO, US, UA, MX , DL - dirt everywhere
Question Who flies direct between Buenos Aires and Asuncion?

I have been toying with the idea of exploring Paraguay's capital the next time I am in Buenos Aires... major booking engines are stumped. Travelocity has nothing at all, and Expedia is routing me on LAN through Santiago.

I still believe there has to be a smaller local airline which flies direct between the two capitals...and is just not in the big search engines. Like Aerorepublica in Colombia. My Google seraches have yielded nothing so far.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:02 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Air Ninja (I kid you not!). Aerolinas Argentinas used to fly this route, but appears to have dropped service after the Ninja started.
http://www.airninja.com/airlines/Gol...sArgentina.htm
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tam do, both direct or via ciudad del Este
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thanks, just found this myself!

Originally Posted by NickB
Tam do, both direct or via ciudad del Este
Looked it up on TAM Mercosur (www.tam.com.py) - I had completely forgotten to search for "national airline of PY"....

And GOL definitely is an option...(that is what Ninja directs one to). Hear great things about both airlines.

There seem to be flights on PLUNA from Montevideo, but I will pass if I have these options from EZE. GOL seems to be a little cheaper.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Question Another question

This might be better in Milesbuzz, but...

TAM Mercosur (I assume) is a member of the TAM Group, which would include its Brazilian parent company- I am just not too sure. if so, I should be able to earn AAdvantage miles on a TAM Mercosur flight? Or not?

Also, is GOL partners with anyone? I realize it is the Brazilian Southwest/Jetblue but still.... Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you earn AA miles on both JJ (TAM Linheas Aereas) and PZ (Tam Mercosur).
As befits the LCC model, GOL has no FF partner. Indeed they have no FFP at all.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Yes, you earn AA miles on both JJ (TAM Linheas Aereas) and PZ (Tam Mercosur).
Wasn't PZ used by LAPSA? Is that who took over the carcass after SAETA went belly up?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott and Starwood
A friend of mine who lives in BsAs (EZE) told me that Asuncion wasn't that interesting and the poverty was really evident. In short it is a far cry from being BsAs.

Why do you want to go?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbird2000
I have been toying with the idea of exploring Paraguay's capital the next time I am in Buenos Aires...
I'd stay in Bs As as TheKnife says. Despite being one of the oldest cities in the Americas (450+ years?), the city has very little of interest for the average visitor.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Wasn't PZ used by LAPSA? Is that who took over the carcass after SAETA went belly up?
It was indeed LAPSA. Name changed to TAM (Transportes Aéreos del Mercosur) in 1997. Was there a link with SAETA??
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheKnife
A friend of mine who lives in BsAs (EZE) told me that Asuncion wasn't that interesting and the poverty was really evident. In short it is a far cry from being BsAs.

Why do you want to go?
Then again, many Argentinians, and especially Portenos, turn their nose up at the merest whiff of anything that smells too South American
BsAs is nothing like the rest of South America. It might as well be on another continent. Trying to compare a small South American capital to BsAs makes little sense.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was indeed LAPSA. Name changed to TAM (Transportes Aéreos del Mercosur) in 1997. Was there a link with SAETA??
That's what I remember when I flew PZ EZE-ASU back in '95 (for what I thought was a Paraguayan visa extension). The inflight magazine made very clear references to SAETA's ownership, investment and/or control of LAPSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.