Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does Brazil require a Visa for American 'in-transit' passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Has Brazil 'retaliated' to start requiring visas fom American in-transit passengers ever since the U.S. started requiring visas for such travellers?

I've known that Brazil's attitude is somewhat 'eye-for-an-eye' like, ever since I got my receipt for my Visa application from the Brazilian Embassy in Uruguay a number of years ago. The bottom of the receipt stated very conspicuously that the reason the Brazilians are requiring visas from U.S. citizens is because the Americans require the same from them. The cost for the Visa was, not suprisingly, identical to the amount the U.S. charges them for their visa to enter the States. (The message being that: "If you don't like it, complain to your congressman..." to which I say )

I also remember that Brazil 'retaliated' to require Americans landing at GRU to be photographed and fingerprinted for 'security' measures (and of course, only Americans pose security threats...) Here's a link to a story related to that requirement:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americ....gesture.reut/

I'm now considering flying with Varig from JFK to Chile via GRU; do the Brazilians require that I have a Visa in order to catch my connection?

If anyone's got any info. regarding this issue, or would be so kind as to share his/her experience being an in-transit passenger in Brazil since the time that the U.S. instituted the new policy regarding in-transit passengers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Thanx
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
IATA Visa info

/ 08JUN06 / 0357 UTC
National U.S.A. (US) /Transit BRAZIL (BR)
Destination BRAZIL (BR)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

BRAZIL (BR)

Visa not required provided:
- continuing within 8 hours by same or first connecting flight;
and
- not staying overnight; and
- connecting flight is confirmed on passenger's ticket; and
- holding other documents required for next destination.
Leaving the airport transit lounge is not allowed.
Transit visa is required, if staying in the airport hotel
overnight, as it is located outside transit area after
immigration.
Note:
although TWOV privilege is available it is advisable to
obtain a transit visa in a country of origin to avoid any
inconvenience for passenger transiting Brazil.

Visa required if transiting in:
A. Sao Paulo from:
- Viracopos Airport to Congonhas Airport and v.v.;
- Viracopos Airport to Guarulhos Airport and v.v.;
- Congonhas Airport to Guarulhos Airport and v.v.;
B. Rio de Janeiro from Galeao Airport to Santos Dumont
Airport and v.v.;
C. Confins Airport in Belo Horizonte.

Those included in somebody else's passport must hold an
individual visa.

All visas issued from a foreign representation must be used
within 90 days after issuance. If not: transit denied.

Non-compliance with the transit regulations will result in
deportation of passenger to country of origin at carrier's
expense. Moreover, the transporting carrier will have to pay
the detention costs and a fine of USD 2,000.-. which will be
multiplied in case of recurrence.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get one thing straight. The Brazilians did the reciprocal visa thing many years ago because the US requires their citizens to have them. However it WAS the Brazilians which started charging money for the visas many years ago and the US RECIPROCATED the cost right back.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've often connected through GRU without a Brazilian visa in the passport. It's not an issue for shorter transits as posted earlier. That said, it's not a great airport to transit through, so I hope your transit is short enough that you don't get bored and long enough that you don't miss the connection.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:49 am

I'm now considering flying with Varig from JFK to Chile via GRU; do the Brazilians require that I have a Visa in order to catch my connection?
You don't need a visa. You stay in the "transit section" of GRU. And as GUWonder mentioned, it's boring. The only restaurant in the transit section was closed.

Last edited by USAFAN; Jun 8, 2006 at 7:07 am
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:06 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've often connected through GRU without a Brazilian visa in the passport. It's not an issue for shorter transits as posted earlier. That said, it's not a great airport to transit through, so I hope your transit is short enough that you don't get bored and long enough that you don't miss the connection.
Thanks! I was looking for the same info
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thanx to all for all the info.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:43 am

Varig??!

The visa might not be your problem - you may want to check Varig's policy in case they go bankrupt as they are on the verge of closing up shop because their creditors want their $$$. Be careful - you may end up with a good deal as Varig may need to put you on a different airline which may be nicer if they do go under.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.