Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Furthest you have driven in one day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I think scenery must have a big effect on it.

On my Charlotte-Richmond drive I was bored senseless for the last 100 miles or so. I-85 north of the VA/NC stateline isn't the most inspiring stretch of asphalt yet my two companions were sleeping so no music pour moi

I don't seem to remember being bored or tired after my longest drive in the UK as I got up early to drive to a theme park and then drive back. Even went out on the booze until 3am.

Originally Posted by danielonn
I would rather fly as being in a car is soo boring. I would much rather be watching the PTVs and listening to the IFE than sitting in a car for such a long drive. It's so insane to be in a car for 1200 miles better to fly man. And of course in 24 hours I could be halfway around the world! Screw those motels I'd rather fly to a nice destination and stay at a nice hotel rather than forking $$$ for a dumpy motel.
Sometimes it just isn't practical. Moving house by plane?

Last edited by Fraser; Jun 8, 2006 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I think two may qualify...

East London to Cape Town in one day: 1148km (717 miles)

I did all the driving, and neither was particularly fun. To Cape Town we almost ran out of fuel.
Doesn't surprise me. The one thing I remember about driving in South Africa was if you are less than half a tank and see a gas station, stop!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: BA
Toronto (well, Barrie actually) to West Vancouver on the Trans-Canada Highway, on my own. It's about 2,500 road miles and did it in 4 days, about 625 miles each day. At 60 mph that's 11 hours driving a day, fuel stops, food, very little sightseeing, three cheap roadside motels. Old Ford Capri in the 1980s, glorious summer weather. I'd do it again anytime.

Hook of Holland to Krakow, Poland, in 1991, about 700 miles, shortly after the borders came down in Eastern Europe in my own old XR3i, another fascinating trip, leaving at 07.00 straight from the Harwich ferry. Got the old girl (not so old then) up to 125 mph on the Autobahn.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Madsion, Wis. to Salt Lake City -- about 1,400 miles. I did this with barely any breaks, almost asleep at the wheel in Wyoming.

I strongly discourage anyone from doing this sort of thing (solo). I could easy have gone off the road.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Vaia con No-Doz.
I remember driving across Nebraska/Wyoming/Utah at night with a jar of freeze dried tasters choice coffee, pouring the crystals down my throat.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Fraser
Doesn't surprise me. The one thing I remember about driving in South Africa was if you are less than half a tank and see a gas station, stop!
I always find SA to be quite good though, with fuel stations (except in the remote northern and northwestern parts). Rest of Africa, definately agree (and on long trips we always take our own extra fuel). In this case it was my fault... I underestimated the fuel gauge; it sort of plummets towards the last 1/8th of the tank, and I forgot about that (Land Rover Discovery).
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:53 am

My longest solo drive was several years ago. It was from the Northern suburbs of Chicago to Oklahoma City (on my way to California). I drove about 800 miles, & it took 13 hours. I would've kept going, but I had promised my Dad that I wouldn't drive after dark!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: DL AA B6 6C
US - Charlotte, NC to Richmond, VA - 285miles. A friend of ours then had to drive up to Baltimore from there, a total of 458 miles. Also drove the 285 miles down to Charlotte the following day.

UK - 280 mile roundtrip in one day.

Have done longer journeys as a passenger.

These certainly aren't going to be the longest by any stretch, I blame the UK being too small for roadtrips
We drove Sioux Falls SD (FSD) to Whitefish MT (FCA) about 1200 miles for a wedding. Three drivers saw about every wild animal in Montana along the roads luckily did not hit any. Bonus no speed limit in MT at the time.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by danielonn
I would rather fly as being in a car is soo boring. I would much rather be watching the PTVs and listening to the IFE than sitting in a car for such a long drive. It's so insane to be in a car for 1200 miles better to fly man. And of course in 24 hours I could be halfway around the world! Screw those motels I'd rather fly to a nice destination and stay at a nice hotel rather than forking $$$ for a dumpy motel.
Depends where you go though. Sometimes driving is better than flying in terms of scenary; often better than the offerings of IFE. And roadtrips have a special quality to them... so much insanity and memories.

Driving straight up I5 in California, I would definatley agree; it is insanely mundane and boring. But go up the PCH and I'd muh rather drive.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Longest drives....

US - Charlotte, NC to Richmond, VA - 285miles. A friend of ours then had to drive up to Baltimore from there, a total of 458 miles. Also drove the 285 miles down to Charlotte the following day.
Somebody thought San Antonio/NOLA was a long drive. Shoot, that's all Interstate and barely a one gas stop, two pit stops trip.

Much depends on the where and the when (season) and local and highway conditions....

Of recent years, (and at age 62), 825 miles starting at 10 AM, Nashville, TN to Central Texas. I napped, while wife relieved me from Little Rock to Texarkana.

At 66, I limit myself to 600-625 asa precaution, and also want a 30 minute nap about 2PM.

In my youth....

2 drivers, straight through, Houston to Los Angeles, convoy delivery to a pair of cadillac convertibles.

Navy years, a couple of straight throughs, Central Texas to Mayport, FL, 1100 miles (but with a nap in acemetery in Alabama)
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: DL AA B6 6C
Originally Posted by dhuey
Madsion, Wis. to Salt Lake City -- about 1,400 miles. I did this with barely any breaks, almost asleep at the wheel in Wyoming.

I strongly discourage anyone from doing this sort of thing (solo). I could easy have gone off the road.
I completely agree.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Last summer on a Saturday, I drove from Williamsburg, VA to the Natural Bridge near Lexington, VA. I met up with some friends, and we toured a few museums in addition to walking outside by the Natural Bridge. Then, we drove down to Blacksburg so one guy could pick up and drop off some stuff with a friend. Afterwards, we took the back roads and went back up to Harrisonburg, VA for dinner. Then, I had to drive to Herndon, and I got stuck on 66 east because of an accident. Traffic came to a complete halt for over 20 minutes.

It was an exhausting day, and I drove almost 700 miles.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN A+, PC Gold
In college I used to drive Denver to Laguna Beach, CA about twice a year. a shade over 1000 miles, solo, usually non-stop. As soon as I hit the hills in CO I would put in the first opera of the Ring Cycle (it's OK, i know I am wierd) and listen to it straight through.

Nowdays I have a tough time making 500 miles. Ahh, to be young and foolish...
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Longest 1-day drive for me was Boston, MA to Charlotte, NC. About 900 miles and 13-1/2 hours.

Planning a road trip this fall from Juneau to Washington, DC. Should be interesting.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
College beer run of 1364 miles in the days of 55 MPH. 2 drivers and a handful of white crosses. 24 hours duration. 12 hours of drinking and sleeping, then turned around and went 1223 miles back. Took longer to get back, about 30 hours, due to an ice storm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.