Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Furthest you have driven in one day

Furthest you have driven in one day

Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Chicago to Ft. Worth, Texas. 1005 miles. Ugh.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:43 am

Programs: Back at the bottom
Bluefield, WV to Topeka, KS ~900 miles (part of a cross-country trip)

My dad is the crazy one though. He'll go to DC and back in a day (350 miles each way), and puts 60-70 K miles on his company car each year (a lot of travel from Bluefield, WV to Indiana and Illinois).
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:57 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
The longest I'm totally sure of is El Paso -> Los Angeles ~850 miles and I got to LA while it was still light and with time to head out for 4th of July fireworks!

I can't remember for sure if I've done this one in one day, but I'm pretty sure I have driven Dallas -> Chicago, ~950 miles in one day.

It's enitrely possible that the longest duration of a time in a car was a drive from San Francisco -> Los Angeles in that long I5 traffic jam at the end of a holiday weekend.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
I did Memphis to NYC in 22 hours one day. It was the last leg of a cross country road trip.

I had planned to stop and sleep in MD or PA, but then I saw a sign that said something like, "New York 450 miles". I thought, well I'm so close, I can't stop now.

That was a long day. And I got stuck in Nashville traffic on the way.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I have done Boston to Ft. Lauderdale on multiple occasions but the last time was 1984. About 1,200 miles in just over 24 hours. Those non-stop drive days are long over.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
chicago-denver....about 1000 mi in 14 hrs....no tickets!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:06 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
From Denver to L.A. during spring break back in the early 90's. Drove non-stop (well, stopped for gas of course) while my friends slept all the way... Nevertheless, we all had a great time...
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:35 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 8:12 am
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
When I was much younger, Belfast to Milan, 1100 miles, 22 hours including ferries. Arrived Friday Evening, camped in Monza at the Italian Grand Prix, left Sunday evening and drove back home in 24 then slept for the next 18.

Drove all bar 6 hours myself.

All because my best mate was terrified of flying.....Oh, and I was mug.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:50 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I think two may qualify...

East London to Cape Town in one day: 1148km (717 miles)

Los Angeles to San Francisco and back within 24-hour period: 772 miles (1235km)

I did all the driving, and neither was particularly fun. To Cape Town we almost ran out of fuel.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:04 am

Programs: United MP
I've done long trips like these quite a few times. Two that I remember, are Springfield, Mo to Washington DC. I don't know the miles but it took about 17 hours. The other one was from JFK (after an international flight on Icelandair) NYC to DTW (dropped off rental car). I then took a nap, got into my own car and drove to Colorado Spings. I can't remember how long it took, but I napped twice at rest areas. On the way back I stopped at a hotel because, by then, I was exhausted.

No, I wll never do it again.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:55 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
The most distance in one day that I have achieved is Houston to Asheville, NC with stops in New Orleans and Knoxville. 1065 miles.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:38 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Longest non-stop trips:

Washington, DC to Fennimore, WI - 850 miles - solo once with only two fuel/rest room stops; all the way there on a Saturday to a surprise party and all the way back on Sunday! The same route with Mrs. MKEbound many times.

Winchester, VA to Orlando, FL - 885 miles - Taking turns at the wheel with Mrs. MKEbound.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Washington, DC to Houston. With two one-hour naps within. Left early morning, and arrived about 24 hours later. About 1,400 miles, 20 hours of driving. This was done solo. That was insane.

More sane was Mitchell, SD to Butte, MT. In the middle of winter, dry road mostly, with some blowing snow. Cruising at 90+. Very easy 870 miles. Arrived very fresh.

Not too far behind you..............

New York City to Memphis, TN About 1100 miles and 17 hours of solid driving...after driving solo...I didn't recognize myself
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:19 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Seattle/Portland/Eugene - Orange Co. Calif, 1000 - 1200 miles, numerous times. Longest "day" was just that - 24h. Vaia con No-Doz.

Longest non-N. America day was somewhere south of Modena to Berlin, via old DDR (so lots of inspections.) No idea of kms covered. Remember Vopo uniforms were cut rather severely.

Longest day/air/road was SVO-LGW (decrepit SU Tu-134) then (pre-M25) through central London and on up to Edinburgh (decrepit VW "Super Beetle") and finally to Edinburgh central gaol (jail) (decrepit Black Maria, unknown make) after arrest for unpaid parking tickets. Spent night (early morning actually) in own bed after threatening to phone US Consul to invoke diplomatic intervention. I suspect the Consular office would not have taken the call, but the coppers relented. Gaoler had hunchback and big ring of keys. Really.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.