Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Furthest you have driven in one day

Furthest you have driven in one day

Old Dec 3, 18, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I once drove from Lansing, MI to Atlanta in one day. I know the distance (767 miles) pales in comparison to some on here, but I think you guys will appreciate the reason. I bought this poster on eBay and was going to Atlanta to pick it up (itís 5í x 6í and thus the seller didnít want to ship it):

Old Dec 3, 18, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by wxman22 View Post
Solo, 24 to 26 hours are about my limit
I'm impressed if you can drive 26 hours in a day .

Last month, I drove out to pickup MissCP at college. Since she had a class that ended at 4:30 and it was only a 4 day weekend, rather than the typical overnight at a local hotel I just went out and back in a day.

Knowing up front that it was going to be a long day, I spaced out a few stops. 14 hours of driving over a 17 hour period actually wasn't that bad.

About 900 miles total.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Sydney to Melbourne.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:28 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I grew up on Maui, and now live on Orcas Island. I am not used to driving for long distances or on interstate highways, so the farthest I have gone in one day is less than 500 miles, from Durango, Colorado, to Grand Canyon Caverns, Arizona
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 View Post
I once drove London >> Cardiff >> Plymouth >> LHR >> Lowestoft
(with business meetings in Cardiff and Plymouth).

I just checked mapquest and it looks like 670 miles.

All this with jet-lag since I had arrived from Tokyo the previous day.... frankly, it was dangerous and I apologize. (But I feel that my company was equally to blame for expecting an employee to cope with that. In retrospect I realize that I ought to have refused... actually I did quit fairly soon afterwards).

Oh, and the colleague I picked up at LHR promptly fell asleep ... thanks mate!
Company should have just hired a car service.
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:57 pm

Me personally I don't like sitting in the car for long car trips. So in the time that it takes me to go from CA to say Chicago by car I could be in Europe and travel further!. I can fly to Europe cheaper than a roadtrip and use their high speed rail! I love trains over claustrophobic cars!

I have an eye condition so as of now I don't drive. And even if I had my own cool car I would not take long roadtrips and would rather just fly!

One person hates this radio station. Another person wants to sleep. One person needs to use the restroom. One person does not want a certain restaurant. Car trips are too many compromises for me. On a plane just fire up my laptop and watch the IFE movies or listen to some good music!

On an airplane yes there are other passengers but you can chose to sit away from your parents if you are old enough to do so. I have flown in a different row from my parents many times and enjoyed the flight and let them have their alone time.

In a car well you get the picture no one can get alone time!

At least at an airport the many different restaurants you are bound to find something good.

For me I don't like staying in motels or wasting money at Fast food restaurants. I much rather prefer flying. You have those accidents and jams to deal with, the weather etc. I enjoy the airport lounge.

A lot of people argue saying that roadtrips are inexpensive. Go and add up the costs to stay at a rinky dinky motel or eat at some questionable restaurant.

For instance I booked a roundtrip on Southwest to ABQ using miles but the airfare would have been $155 roundtrip from San Jose CA. Add up the cost of gas,hotels and meals and you would be well over the $155. Even for 2 or 4 people flying is better. You won't get tired. Even to LA at $80-$90 per person r/t its better than driving over the closed Grapevine.

I would much rather be a Mileage Runner on the airplane than sit in some uncomfortable backseat. Having to go to the restroom on the road means you have to stop. On a plane I can get up and stretch.

OK 4 hours to Tahoe is not bad but that 5 hour trip to LA can turn into 6 or 7 hours.

This is why we don't go to San Diego or Palm Desert by car anymore its just too damn long. If we were to go there we would probably fly and rent a car.

Hence this is why we are going to Sedona and Scottsdale and fly into Phoenix. Its very stressful the older you get to drive. Your chances of dying in the car is more than on an airplane.

The airports allow you to walk around before the flight. Yes a car may be more flexible in time but so can flying. Yes there is security lines but TSA Pre Check helps.

Driving you can't have a glass of wine or a Scotch. Flying I love having a double Woodford Reserve flying down the Central Valley seeing the cars driving along I5. So much nicer to relax in an Airline Lounge.

I am sure other Fters would agree with me that flying is so much more funner especially not in Basic Economy!

Last edited by danielonn; Dec 7, 18 at 1:07 pm
Old Dec 8, 18, 2:48 am

1286km from Katherine NT to Mt Isa QLD in Australia
Old Dec 8, 18, 4:35 am

Programs: BA
Colleague here in London, a lady in her 30s, described some thought-provoking journeys for this time of year from her teenage years. Parents separated, lived with her mother's new family on one side of London, father now lived on the opposite side, about 80 miles by the M25 ring motorway. On Christmas Day it was "necessary" for her to have Christmas lunch and presents with both families. Father had to set off, drive round, pick her up, drive back, have the festivities, then return her, drop off (not allowed inside the house) and then back to his home. 320 miles all in one day. That's the distance from London to Scotland. In the days when fuel stations were closed on Christmas Day, took some planning. No drinks until the end.

Incidentally the festivities were always marred. First lunch had to be served early, undercooked, bad tempers, then into the waiting car, over the speed limit dash, second lunch extremely late, overcooked/burned/gone cold. Presents. Dark by now. Back into the car.

But her point was, she described as they went along and she looked into other cars, she picked up on the number of others doing the same. She said you could spot them. Papa driving fast, on his own. Child in the back child seat, or when a teenager, in front. Some likely doing more miles than they were.

Happy Christmas.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 9, 18, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA
Drove from Vancouver, BC to Berkeley, CA. Arrived around 8pm, went for a bit then partied all night. Took 16-17 hours. About 1500 Km. I was in my early 20's. No chance I could do it now.
Old Jan 2, 19, 2:39 am

I did a solo drive Los Angeles to Seattle about 5 years back. I was driving back up to school. I would usually make it a 2 day trip, stopping the night in Redding, CA, but I wanted to save some money. Wasn't the most pleasant drive.
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
OK 4 hours to Tahoe is not bad but that 5 hour trip to LA can turn into 6 or 7 hours.
6 to 7 hours is about my tipping point for flying vs. driving. A little shorter if the transit to/from/within both airports would be super-easy, a little longer if it's a situation where I definitely need a car at the destination.

Airport food vs roadtrip food is basically a wash for me. (Sbarro vs. Flying J? Hold my taco while I consult the Michelin guide.) I don't dwell on airline lounges for short domestic flights. Even if there *is* one, I don't want to spend much time in it because that probably means my flight was delayed, making me really wish I had driven to begin with.

I'm more comfortable in a car than on a plane. I like having control of the schedule.

Driver picks the music genre, shotgun rider DJ's it. Backseat riders shut up until it's your shift at the wheel.

Air travel has more unpredictability than driving. I roughly know what the traffic should be during a roadtrip. Weather is more likely to be a problem for flying than driving with some pretty well-known exceptions.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
6 to 7 hours is about my tipping point for flying vs. driving. A little shorter if the transit to/from/within both airports would be super-easy, a little longer if it's a situation where I definitely need a car at the destination.
My tipping point is a bit quicker, usually 5 hours, with the same provisos. I also lean toward driving in marginal cases if there's a good chance I'll need the flexibility to leave a day early or stay a day longer.

Airport food vs roadtrip food is basically a wash for me. (Sbarro vs. Flying J? Hold my taco while I consult the Michelin guide.)
Fam, Pilot is so much better than Flying J!

But seriously, road trip food beats the pants off airport food. As I wrote in a comparison years ago:

FOOD
Flying: Airline taunts me with survey asking if I'd pay extra for a "restaurant quality meal".
Driving: It's always a restaurant quality meal, and I get to pick the restaurant!
strickerj and pinniped like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Done 1600km/1000mi before in a crappy pick up truck. Was a fun trip though.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 9:26 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
My father was in the Air Force and we moved a lot. We lived in several southern and western states from Florida to California and usually moved in the summer. Add the fact my father was a bomber pilot who could sit for hours and the car had no air conditioning and vinyl car seats made for some pretty uncomfortable drives. When I became an adult on my own I quickly decided if I couldn’t get where I was going on vacation in one day I was flying. Of course with the passing of my baby sister last September I’m the only living member of the family and now I’d easily trade a lot for one more trip with the family.
strickerj likes this.