Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flying the parents in FC

Flying the parents in FC

Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
Flying the parents in FC

I just booked my folks a RT FC ticket from DSM to PHX for Thanksgiving using my many hundred of thousands of miles that I never use! But feel good that I can give them a trip and see someone get use out of them.

I finally see the good in earning miles... I never use them due to the fact that my company pays for all business and personal travel. It will do the folks good to get out and see the world more now... they use to fly years ago to many destinations domestic and overseas, BUT never had FC service. They will from now on though!

Just feels good to share the miles and see them enjoy something better than your typical coach seat.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Flying folks.

Originally Posted by Nutzz
I just booked my folks a RT FC ticket from DSM to PHX for Thanksgiving using my many hundred of thousands of miles that I never use! But feel good that I can give them a trip and see someone get use out of them.

I finally see the good in earning miles... I never use them due to the fact that my company pays for all business and personal travel. It will do the folks good to get out and see the world more now... they use to fly years ago to many destinations domestic and overseas, BUT never had FC service. They will from now on though!

Just feels good to share the miles and see them enjoy something better than your typical coach seat.
Probably the best use I've put my miles to. Fly Mom and Dad FC whereever they want to go. Even if it's Rulebuster (or whatever they call it today).

Other relatives usually only get coach though. But it's still fun being able to provide something very special to others (especially since we often take it for granite).

It sometimes makes me feel guilty that I enjoy earning the miles so much.

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:28 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
your company pays for all personal travel?

how did you work out a deal like that, own the company??
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
Nope, don't own the company... worked for them for 15 years and knew how to negoiate my last move (out of the last 5). They wanted me real bad to move to PHX and I wanted real bad NOT to move but if so, I insisted on having have FREE personal travel if I did... just worked out this time in my advantage! Its all within reason and has to be approved, but they have never let me down yet!

Back to the folks though... never seen my mom so happy when she heard she gets to sit up front... I think she thought she was in heaven! Just trying to do the right thing and have them enjoy the things they never did... its my turn to return all the favors I guess.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I fly in my inlaws from WAW using WP points

I try and fly in my MIL and FIL from WAW in WBC whenever they visit using WP points.

The nice benefit of Worldperks for me is that I can give my family more opportunities to visit,

Over the years I have probably redeemed 2.5 million WP miles for family travel to/from WAW.

RC
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Thumbs up

Back to the folks though... never seen my mom so happy when she heard she gets to sit up front... I think she thought she was in heaven! Just trying to do the right thing and have them enjoy the things they never did... its my turn to return all the favors I guess.
Hmmm... Here in Hawaii we're about 8000km from my folks, and our likely "second location" is coming soon to a Scottish town near you, which won't be close to them either, so I hope someday I can do this kind of thing for them! Nutzz should get the "good child" award.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I am jealous of the free personal travel but even so good for you in negotiating that into your current position!!

And another "good for you" in paying your folks back with something they can enjoy and get good use of. ^
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Simply wonderful. ^ I hope I can do the same for my folks someday.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I offered a RTW reward in Biz to my mom earlier this year, and she turned it down because she didn't want to travel that much. A couple of weeks later, she expressed an interest to go to SJO, so I booked a FC reward, with no problems. It's nice to use the miles for something good. She's never flown in the front before, so hopefully it will be a good experience for her.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Nope, don't own the company... worked for them for 15 years and knew how to negoiate my last move (out of the last 5). They wanted me real bad to move to PHX and I wanted real bad NOT to move but if so, I insisted on having have FREE personal travel if I did... just worked out this time in my advantage! Its all within reason and has to be approved, but they have never let me down yet!
I wouldn't tell *anyone* including the IRS that your company is paying personal travel expenses for you.

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Jun 2, 2006 at 8:51 am
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
I flew my entire family to my wedding in Toronto when I got married. Had 6 roundtrip tickets, this was in 2002 but still trying to get 6 roundtrip coach seats together is never easy. Also booked my mom and dad from MSY to YVR for a cruise as well as my dad several times from MSY to OMA for the College World Series. I just wish I had an endless supply of miles to help them out as they get older. They still travel but getting harder than it used to for them.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:57 am

My parents are flying CVG-MSP-HNL in a couple weeks. As a retirement present I upgraded them to first, but intially could not upgrade myself since there were only two R seats available. Fortunately, karma shined on me and another one opened up, so I was able to join them.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just yesterday I flew my best client and his wife (80 and 75 years old) from DTW to SEA on First Class...They had never flown First Class in their life and called me from SEA when they landed to thank me for doing this for them! Miles well spent, they have already referred me two of their sons and working on the third, the black sheep of the family

I must say it really feels good doing this for them
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: skymiles,
Last year I flew my father and his wife Biz (on DL so no first) from BRU to MDT. They came for 10 days to watch our kids while DH and I went on a 10th anniversary trip to Jamaica (we were only gone for 6 nights, but flew them in early to settle in) This was one of the best uses of our miles.

I have also done the same for my Mom when she has flown out to visit us and watch the kids. I am immensely grateful to have the miles to do this as it really makes for a win-win situation.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Great to hear your parents enjoy the award travel in F. However, I had to use my miles for other purpose. I used my miles for my grandpa flying back to TPE after suffering a minor stroke while he was visiting in US. I also accompanied him for the trip. I am glad he is ok now. Anyway, the ticket would have cost $2500 in Y class for last minute booking for one person. Fortunately, UA did have award inventory and gladly spent my miles.

My relatives in Taiwan are very appreciately. Not to take advantage of this bad situtation, but as his favorite grandson I think my grandpa will put my name on his will.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.