Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Saigon Airport: Tip at customs/immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saigon Airport: Tip at customs/immigration?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 4:26 pm

Maybe if you offer a tip you will at least get a smile.

I was in SGN last year. I could not get a smile or hello from any of the officials.

They are going to have to change this if they want tourist money.
Old May 18, 2006, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
It's ok... it IS the Vietnamese Counsulate... they probably just pick a number based on their mood that day
Which is why I think the visa service is a good deal. I think the price is based on your relationship with the people at the consulate/embassy, and the visa service folks have paid off the right people and get a wholesale rate.
Old May 18, 2006, 6:56 pm

After you've cleared...

I'm a bit curious as to what it is like on the other side of customs & immigration... Mob scene or otherwise?
Thanks.
Old May 19, 2006, 2:21 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Telfes
I'm a bit curious as to what it is like on the other side of customs & immigration... Mob scene or otherwise?
Thanks.
It is generally a little chaotic once you clear but that's just people waiting for family members returning. If you arrive during the build up to Tet then you'll see a real mob scene outside.
Old May 19, 2006, 2:24 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Maybe if you offer a tip you will at least get a smile.

I was in SGN last year. I could not get a smile or hello from any of the officials.

They are going to have to change this if they want tourist money.
As tourist numbers to Vietnam are booming I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever. I agree they are miserable at immigration but you'll get plenty of smiles from the locals once you're there anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.