Reload this Page >

Airports with little/no Customs Check at POE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports with little/no Customs Check at POE

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 5:25 pm

The last three times I flew to Frankfurt after I went through passport control it was clear sailing out the door. The customs booths were not manned at all.
Old May 13, 2006, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Does anybody know of any other country orther than US which has seperate Immigration and Customs forms for non-residents?
Lots. Malaysia is probably the weirdest -- they have a Customs section in the three-part form they hand out, but it's never collected and I've stopped filling it out... In Indonesia (or at least CGK, my usual entry point) it's also trivial to sneak out without ever handing in your Customs form.
Old May 13, 2006, 5:24 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I'd say Athens. If you connect through a EU country, and walk out with
just the carry-on luggage, you can simply walk out without the customs.
Old May 13, 2006, 6:22 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
I can't remember the last time I had to open bags for customs inspection. I do about 100 international flights / year, mostly in Europe and Asia, and either there is no customs officer to be seen, or I (and almost all other passengers) am (are) waved through.
By the way, many of my flights are to / from Amsterdam, and I have never noticed any special treatment for flights from AMS.
Old May 13, 2006, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
I must be getting the terminologies wrong. To me Immigration is the process where they check whether your paperwork is right, and Customs (which follows Immigration) is a separate entity that deals with what stuff you're bringing in the country.

cpx - When you mention being flagged down at Immigration do you mean for further investigation regarding your paperwork or what stuff you're bringing inside the country...?
Our last few trips the guy who stamps the passport makes the decision as to whether you draw a customs inspection or not. Thus the customs guy just sits there collecting paperwork but if you've been selected for screening he will direct you to the proper place.
Old May 15, 2006, 5:49 am

As for the OP's comments on IAD... I strenuously disagree. I have only been hassled MAJORLY three times by customs, but IAD was one of them. They went right through my bags, did the drug-swipe scan thing, checked my hotel reservations. The works minus dessert (i.e. the strip-search). I think they hassled me because I was very young at the time (about 20), was travelling on my own, and had written Vietnam as one of my last 3 countries. And it was the guy at immigration who made the decision. He asked me how long I was in the states for and I said a week. He said where are you going and I said 2 days here in Washington, then going to Montreal. Then he said you said you'll be here a week - Montreal is in Canada blah blah. It was all down hill from there ;-) Still remember that guy, absolute pr!ck he was.

The other two were Montreal on that same trip (rudest customs people EVER), and then more recently in Karachi (on departure).

I travel 100k+ per year, mostly international, so with only 3 major hassles I'm doing OK.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Port of entry with no checks: December 2002, Horn Island, Australia. You can get their easily by boat from anywhere in the Torres Straits (watch out for pirates!) with nobody the wiser - or, if you really want nobody to notice, land on nearby and even smaller Thursday Island, then take the ferry. Once there, we boarded with no customs or immigration checks*, and were airside on arrival in Cairns so we could have connected to anywhere else equally unchecked. I seem to recall someone saying at the time that they planned to tighten things up a bit, but not having been back since I don't know if they did.

Old May 15, 2006, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Anyone can enter Mexico without any checks whatsoever. Just park your car (in the U.S.) and walk into Tijuana. (I assume this will change by 2007 if it hasn't already.)

For airports, Mexico still uses the big button that lights either red or green. At least, PVR does...
Old May 15, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: US,HH
SJD also has the green/red stoplight.
Coming back from SJD to PHX there was no check whatsoever. Handed in my declaration card and they didn't even ask for passports or birth certificates for our party.
Old May 15, 2006, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
...For airports, Mexico still uses the big button that lights either red or green. At least, PVR does...
...As does OAX (Oaxaca), or at least it did just before Xmas 2005.
Old May 15, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Does anybody know of any other country orther than US which has seperate Immigration and Customs forms for non-residents?

Russia has it. For non-residents, one has to complete a Migration Card (which is only available in Russian, but starting in June will be avilable in English as well), as well as a Customs Declaration (2 copies). Customs Declaration OFFICIALLY is only needed when you bring more then USD3,000 into or out of the country, but it is advisable to fill it out anyway and have it stamped just in case you want to take out any of the valuables you brought into the country without hassle when you leave Russia.
Old May 15, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by andrzej
another SA country, just can't remember which one. As you approach the customs officer, you press a button. If it's red, you go right and if it's green you go left.
Rio de Janeiro (GIG) has the red light/ green light thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.