Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reimbursment For Costs Associated With A Canceled Vacation Due To Work Reasons

Reimbursment For Costs Associated With A Canceled Vacation Due To Work Reasons

Old May 12, 2006, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by TN_Again
Probably the complete opposite of my reaction. If my employer tried to cancel a planned vacation for any reason, that would be the last day I worked there. Compensated or not - I would walk. Your life isn't going to begin and end with a job - and attitudes like the post above are a significant part of what is wrong with this country as a whole.

Poor planning? Please....
treating employees with respect and consideration is not often part of the deal anymore.
Old May 12, 2006, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it's a touchy area, and in the situtations where it's come up, I've always asked and been told they would cover anything necessary if it came to that that I couldnt' switch. The one time I did have to move things around I was fully insured for change plans for any reason for 90% of the cost, so it was minimal expense.

The first class ticket shouldn't matter one way or the other, it's what you lose by not taking the trip because of work, so it's what they should cover if they are going cover it. If they are requiring you to be there, and it's their choice, then they should cover everything no questions asked.
Old May 13, 2006, 3:24 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by cordelli
I think it's a touchy area, and in the situtations where it's come up, I've always asked and been told they would cover anything necessary if it came to that that I couldnt' switch. The one time I did have to move things around I was fully insured for change plans for any reason for 90% of the cost, so it was minimal expense.

The first class ticket shouldn't matter one way or the other, it's what you lose by not taking the trip because of work, so it's what they should cover if they are going cover it. If they are requiring you to be there, and it's their choice, then they should cover everything no questions asked.
What if it was one of those GBP 4000 non-refundable first class tickets ex-LHR on BA?
Old May 13, 2006, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Thanks guys.

I e-mailed my boss yesterday and I will be reimbursed if I have to cancel my plans. He also offered to give me extra time-off as compensation, which I certainly didn't ask for (but will gratefully accept).

Good for you. Corporations need to realise that employee/employer relations are a two way street and that a sallary doesn't mean they own you. ^
Old May 13, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: just above cargo
I e-mailed my boss yesterday and I will be reimbursed if I have to cancel my plans. He also offered to give me extra time-off as compensation, which I certainly didn't ask for (but will gratefully accept).
Huzzah for open communication and people being reasonable! ^
Old May 13, 2006, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The professional is willing to postpone his vacation to get the job done but that doesn't mean he shouldn't expect compensation for the costs incurred by doing this.
The professional shouldn't be taken advantage of, either. If the vacation was known about and approved, the employer should offer to pay any nonrefundable fees.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by erik123
treating employees with respect and consideration is not often part of the deal anymore.
For those of us with no fear of landing other work, it is. I use every single one of my vacation days and am proud to do so. I have a new (16 month old) daughter, hobbies outside of work, and other things in my life besides a desire to work, work, work until I'm dead, dead, dead.

Of course, I do travel 30+ weeks a year for work and make a good living, so it's not like I don't work or sacrifice anything in the name of work. But once I plan a vacation months in advance, I expect to take that vacation and expect the company to plan around my absence or compensate me for what I've spent. Poor planning on their part would not constitute an emergency on my part.
Old May 13, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by RichMSN
For those of us with no fear of landing other work, it is. I use every single one of my vacation days and am proud to do so. I have a new (16 month old) daughter, hobbies outside of work, and other things in my life besides a desire to work, work, work until I'm dead, dead, dead.

Of course, I do travel 30+ weeks a year for work and make a good living, so it's not like I don't work or sacrifice anything in the name of work. But once I plan a vacation months in advance, I expect to take that vacation and expect the company to plan around my absence or compensate me for what I've spent. Poor planning on their part would not constitute an emergency on my part.
^ ^ ^
Old May 14, 2006, 2:19 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum

Bingo! I work midnights, which is a sacrifice in and of itself. If anybody doesn't believe, try doing it yourselves. That said, if I tell my company two months in advance I'm going on vacation (all of my vacations involve plane fares), I EXPECT them to not wait until the last minute to "try" to find somebody to work my shift. I can EASILY find somebody to cover half of my shift, but, however, to get somebody to cover my shift from 0100-0500 is just not that simple.
Old May 14, 2006, 7:01 am

Programs: just above cargo
I use every single one of my vacation days and am proud to do so.
Quite right - in fact, I just can't understand the position of anyone who would disagree. Part of the compensation for being employed somewhere is paid vacation days. I'm no more going to accept not being able to take my full entitlement than I am going to accept a paycheck with only 85% of my salary on it!

US employees have a really poor deal (overall) in paid vacation in comparison with other developed countries. An earlier poster sneered at France for its shorter working week and greater number of statutory vacation days but I believe this scorn is misplaced. We work to live - what's the point in working so much that you only get to control your own time on a handful of weekdays every year?
Old May 15, 2006, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by casapasqual
what kind of fantasyland are you living in? there is this sense of entitlement, a feeling that the world owes you everything. whatever happened to taking some responsibility for ones own poor planning? the author of the post was a bit sketchy on the details but from what i can tell, he/she/shim is dreaming.
Wow, what a shock that this person was suspended....
Old May 15, 2006, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks guys.

Very pleased to read this. ^ Now you can return to focusing on meeting that special someone.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by casapasqual
what kind of fantasyland are you living in? there is this sense of entitlement, a feeling that the world owes you everything. whatever happened to taking some responsibility for ones own poor planning? the author of the post was a bit sketchy on the details but from what i can tell, he/she/shim is dreaming.

and if someone came to me with that proposal, i would tell them, "sure, here's your $800 for your Emirates ticket, but you won't be getting the $2,000 holiday bonus ever again" and i would encourage them to resign at once.
If you were my boss, and showed such blatant disregard for work-life balance then you know what? I would resign immediately. There are too many employers who realize that unhappy employees are unproductive to bother working for someone like that...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by JakiChan
If you were my boss, and showed such blatant disregard for work-life balance then you know what? I would resign immediately. There are too many employers who realize that unhappy employees are unproductive to bother working for someone like that...
Wow, this has to be a record. Responding to an 11 year old post.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:06 am

Well since this ancient thread got bumped I've twice been asked if it was possible to change my vacation time in the 20 years I've been at my job. One time I flat out said no since the friend I was going to visit called in a few favors to take the entire time I was there off. The other time I said sure as long as they were going to cover the change fee(s) and any difference in cost for my tickets. Needless to say I took both trips when scheduled. Their reason for asking? Lack of coverage. Sorry but when I put in a request, that's approved, for vacation time in July back in February it's not my problem if you can't find coverage especially when I reminded them several times as the date grew closer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.