Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When passengers don't lock lavatory doors...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2006, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB

On a recent flight to NRT on a 747, I was one of the first passengers on board. After stowing my bag and setting magazines and a newspaper on my seat, I decided to use the lavatory prior to departure. The aisle was now clogged with other passengers trying to board, but being on an exit row, the lavatory was just across so I easily excused mysef from other passengers who were standing and gathered around my seat area. I pushed on one of the lavatory doors with some force, and to my shock, an elderly lady who was sitting on the toliet started screaming in horrror "Stop!" "No, no, no!"

I was mortified at that moment, and some of the other passengers looked at me in disbelief, then, I guess thankfully, started laughing. I immediately slipped to the lavatory across and locked the doors .
Old May 8, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I've had similar experiences on several NRT flights, although the non-locker has always been male (sometimes they don't even seem to notice that the door has opened!).
Old May 8, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: None
Sometimes the people just don't realize there's a lock or know how it works - the very infrequent flier and children seem to be the main culprits here (and I'm continuously amazed at how many older folks haven't flown before).

Of course, depending on the type of lav door (bifold or regular type) and the amount of force used (the lock could be out of adjustment), even a locked door may open.

Jim
Old May 8, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I walked in on a woman changing a baby last weekend. I pushed the door (it folded in) so hard she almost flipped the kid off the table.

What can you do but apologize, even though it's their error. Of course, she was Indian, I am an english-only American and we were flying a Dutch airline. I'm not sure she understood my apology.

I had a more heated exchange with the couple across the aisle from me who wanted my bag out of the overhead storage compartment over their seats. I explained that my bag didn't fit in the smaller compartment over my seat and they were welcome to that space. They played the "I don't understand" card and started to move my stuff. I told them it wasn't their space, it wasn't their stuff and would they like me to call an FA to sort things out. All of a sudden, they understood.

I realize this is way off topic, but I had to get it out somewhere because it was starting to fester. I feel better now.
Old May 8, 2006, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I was sitting in 1C once and went to use the lav...walked in on the pilot relieving himself. You would think he would know about door locks by now.
Old May 8, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Accor (Diamond), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), Hyatt (Discoverist)
random question...

seeing there are websites devoted to pictures of airline meals, interiors, exteriors and amenity kits, is anyone aware of a site with lav pics? just curious...
Old May 8, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by senatetalker33
random question...

seeing there are websites devoted to pictures of airline meals, interiors, exteriors and amenity kits, is anyone aware of a site with lav pics? just curious...
www.airplanemeals.com
Old May 9, 2006, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Lav size, shape

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Don't know about pictures, but I recently flew the PrivatAir 737 "executive jet" wet leased to KL, IAH - AMS.

I am 1.85m (6´1") and the forward lavs are so small that I could not bend over to rinse my face in the wash basin.

Other than that, pretty good flight.
Old May 9, 2006, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
This thread reinforces my belief that eventually we'll get around to everything.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You apologize if you walk in on someone but it's not worth any great upset, it was their mistake, not yours.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
How about leaving the door open as a lesson?
Old May 9, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
As long as that little sign says "unoccupied" I am guilt free whether someone is in their or not. I have been glared at and yelled at numerous times, but it is their fault not mine. Hopefully those that get "exposed" only have to be taught once how to latch the door.
Old May 9, 2006, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by gldwebs
I was sitting in 1C once and went to use the lav...walked in on the pilot relieving himself. You would think he would know about door locks by now.
Now, by relieving himself, you mean.......?
Old May 9, 2006, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You apologize if you walk in on someone but it's not worth any great upset, it was their mistake, not yours.
Absolutely. In my situation however, I probably became more upset because of what my eyes saw more than anything .
Old May 9, 2006, 1:25 pm

I admit to leaving the door unlocked only once. I really had to use the lav and I didn't even think about locking it. All of a sudden, I hear the door jiggle and a lady briefly opens the door and we both got startled as I was embarrassed, but in the end we both got a laugh out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.