Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The most OVERRATED City in the world is....

Closed Thread

Old Apr 12, 06, 5:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

SYDNEY, without a doubt. The harbor is nice, that is the SETTING is nice, but outside of that, it's a BIG ZERO. I went through three guidebooks, trying to find something, ANYTHING that would make me want to stay longer than 24 hours, and there is nothing. And some were saying the people were rude... which I'm not buying that they are any more rude, any less rude than anywhere else... but as far as tourist sights, I just can't find anything worth spending $150 a night in a hotel to see.

From what I can tell, the runner up for most overrated city could be Melbourne, or any city in the U.S. not located on the east or west coast... other possibilities might include Dublin, Shanghai, Tel Aviv, Frankfurt... and perhaps Glasgow.
Old Apr 12, 06, 5:35 am

LA

PS. Frankfurt overreated? I didn't know it could be rated in any way...
Old Apr 12, 06, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyrights
other possibilities might include Dublin, Shanghai, Tel Aviv, Frankfurt... and perhaps Glasgow.
Noooo! Not Glasgee. Fantastic city! And I've always enjoyed my trips to Dublin too.

The only city Iíve ever been to that I thought was a waste of time was Nagoya.

Iím betting youíve never really got into the night life of these cities (Sydney, Glasgow or Dublin) and I guess that would explain your perception. You don't seem to like Art Galleries either. Is that correct?
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
SYD: the Opera House, Tetsuya and Rockpool, the Taronga Zoo, the Rocks, Bridge climb, a plethora of wonderful hotels (The Observatory, arguably the best Park Hyatt in the chain, arguably the best Westin in the chain, a top-notch Intercontinental, a good Marriott...). Ok, so don't spend 2 weeks in Sydney, but go there.. a hop around Australia a bit... as for MEL, check out the restaurants on Ligon St. And head up to CNS, stay outside Port Douglas, check out the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest...

Now, I don't see much reason to spend time in SIN or MEX and I agree on FRA. But don't be dissin' SYD!
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:02 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by DogHead
LA
Another vote for LA here.

And I agree with LapLap, Dublin is great. I'll see Glasgow for the DO next week, I'll get back to you on that.

Frankfurt also has quite a bit to offer in terms of the nightlife and the cultural scene, but I'll agree that there is nothing so spectacular that it just blows you away. What's nice about Frankfurt is that it is just that - just nice. For me, that's the draw of many European cities. The overall feel of the place, rather than any single bombastic attraction. Gleff, that is the same reason I like SIN, by the way.

Have yet to go to SYD, sadly...
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:10 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton HHonors Gold
I agree with Sydney as being most overrated city. There is a new coffee table book out published by Lonely Planet that is basically a pictoral list of the best 200 cities in the world. When I saw Sydney at #3 I knew there was something dodgy going on (LP is an Australian company, right?). Their top 5 was Paris (#1), then New York, Sydney, Barcelona and London. How possibly is Sydney up there with the likes of those cities?!

[QUOTE=alex0683de]Another vote for LA here. [QUOTE]

LA is actually my favourite city in the world, but it took me about five visits before I even liked it. It's just a city that takes time to get to know and you have to take it for what it is and treat it as a resident, avoiding the touristy stuff like Hollywood (a dump), star home tours (naff), etc. Also so many tourists get put in hotels in Hollywood which doesn't leave a good mark, and many others end up staying in Anaheim which is not LA at all.
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 16, 07 at 3:15 am
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:41 am
Suspended

Barcelona : I find it difficult to believe that this city has always been voted top 5 or 10 in the world. Apart from weird architecture, I dont find Barcelona interesting and there are plenty of more exciting cities around.
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Most overrated? Perhaps PPT. It gets dumped on regularly, and is still overrated. People think that Tahiti is this mystical, magical place. The rest of French Polynesia is. But the city of Papeete in particular is a dump.
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gleff
SYD: the Opera House, Tetsuya and Rockpool, the Taronga Zoo, the Rocks, Bridge climb, a plethora of wonderful hotels (The Observatory, arguably the best Park Hyatt in the chain, arguably the best Westin in the chain, a top-notch Intercontinental, a good Marriott...). Ok, so don't spend 2 weeks in Sydney, but go there.. a hop around Australia a bit... as for MEL, check out the restaurants on Ligon St. And head up to CNS, stay outside Port Douglas, check out the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest...

Now, I don't see much reason to spend time in SIN or MEX and I agree on FRA. But don't be dissin' SYD!
Total agreement with Gary here.

We find Sydney and Melbourne to be two of our most favorite cities to visit.

I believe anyone could find any city overrated. We get off the beaten path and really that is how you really enjoy a city.
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:50 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
London used to be my favorite city in the world- I first visited there in 1997 and was there on business for 3 weeks in 1983. My husband and I went there last year and it was crowded and expensive. We've probably made our last trip to the Tower of London- the lines to get in were ridiculous (and this was April). Food stands in the Tower had more long lines and were overprices. Last week I was there on business and the Tube was 3 GBP for a single ticket. (Yes, I know that you can buy tickets for multiple trips that are cheaper- but we really did need to use it only once.)

I love the architecture, the history and the museums, but it's no longer a tourist destination for us.
Old Apr 12, 06, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
Barcelona : I find it difficult to believe that this city has always been voted top 5 or 10 in the world. Apart from weird architecture, I dont find Barcelona interesting and there are plenty of more exciting cities around.

°°°Ja ja ja ja ja ja!!!

(wipes eyes from laughing)

Very funny!

You are kidding? Right?

JFI - which cities were you thinking of? I'm genuinely curious.
Old Apr 12, 06, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM)
Count me with Sydney's defenders. Yes, there are more "exotic" places in Australia - it's a first-world 21st-century city with all that implies, after all - but it has a lot going for it. "Most overrated" on the entire planet? Methinks not.

A bit off many radar screens, but among those who haven't been there Casablanca has to be near the top of the "overrated" list because of a huge gap between image and reality. It has an exotic image from the movie but is really a collection of concrete from the second quarter of the last century. Things to see or do are few and far between. (I'm not dissing Morroco, been there and loved it, hope to return; just that city.) The movie was filmed on a Hollywood set.
Old Apr 12, 06, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Efrem
A bit off many radar screens, but among those who haven't been there Casablanca has to be near the top of the "overrated" list because of a huge gap between image and reality. It has an exotic image from the movie but is really a collection of concrete from the second quarter of the last century. Things to see or do are few and far between. (I'm not dissing Morroco, been there and loved it, hope to return; just that city.) The movie was filmed on a Hollywood set.
To echo someone else, I wasn't aware anyone had overrated it? (but yes, there are just little spots there which are nice, but overall, it's a depressing place.)
Old Apr 12, 06, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LapLap
°°°Ja ja ja ja ja ja!!!

(wipes eyes from laughing)

Very funny!

You are kidding? Right?

JFI - which cities were you thinking of? I'm genuinely curious.
Paris, Rome, Venice, Sydney, New York City, San Francisco, Kyoto, Bangkok or even London are way more interesting than Barcelona.

Maybe I am just a boring tourist who cant appreciate Gaudi's work

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: