Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help with Road Trip D.C.-OKC

Old Apr 1, 06, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going

I'll be moving to OKC -actually Norman- in August. I'd like to split the drive over three days (but can do it over 4), and take a route which gives me things to stop and look at in order to break up the drive.

If anyone could give recommendations on what route I should take, I would be much appreciative. (One I've thought of is DC-Huntington, WV (70-68-79-64)-St. Louis(64)-OKC(64-44-40). (The other I've thought of is 81S to something to 40.)

Recommendations on things to see along the interstate or not too far off of them, and which towns I should stop at for the night are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 06, 10:34 am

Programs: Peon in all
I've never taken the route between DC and Columbus, so I can not either recommend or discourage it. But if I did, my overnights would be in Columbus, OH and St Louis, MO. (Take I-44 from STL direct to OKC.) They are fairly easy 1 day drives, not to long.

I have taken the I-81/I-40 combo. (Although I-81 passes farther west of DC - I'm not sure off hand of the exact route you would take to I-81.) If you do go this route, my overnights would be in Knoxville, TN and Little Rock, AK. (I-81 meets I-40 in Knoxville and I-40 goes direct to both LIT and OKC.) This route passes through (among others) BNA and MEM.

I have done both of these routes with moving vans, so I know they are both doable.
Old Apr 2, 06, 12:33 pm

Programs: Lost it all!
I've done DC to St. Louis several times, both through WV and through Columbus. Going through Columbus is probably more straight-forward (and faster), but going through the mountains of WV is more fun.
Old Apr 2, 06, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
My mother lived in Norman and whenever I took my kids to visit her from Norfolk I always took the 81/40 route. I liked it. I agree with the RON in Knoxville and Little Rock. Both have good hotel choices. Pretty drive between Knoxville and Nashville.
Old Apr 2, 06, 4:03 pm

Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
I have done this, within the past two weeks, in a truck. The preferred route is I-81 to I-40. You get to I-81 by taking the I-66 from the Beltway and toughing it out through D.C. traffic until it opens up. I stayed in Roanoke, Knoxville, Tunica MS, and Henryetta, OK (and points west). I had issues including driving a 26' Penske rental truck with a car trailer, and a wife and dog. The truck issues included finding places with truck parking (motels and dining establishments). The dog issues, finding motels that take dogs.

Lodging: Usually when I travel by air I reserve hotels on Priceline. This has not worked that well on road trips, because I usually figure out where I want to stop late in the day. Priceline now takes same day reservations till 11 PM ET, so this could be an option. We found we preferred Super 8 motels, which were a step up from Motel 6's (slightly higher price, better and more sleep-worthy bedding).

Dining: Waffle House for breakfast, of course (truck parking can be a problem, and remember, they don't take plastic). For dinner, Bonanza or Ponderosa steak houses were uniformly excellent. Also, most towns now have Chinese buffets of varying quality.

Sightseeing: Side trips I would recommend include The Lost Sea in Sweetwater, TN; Dollywood and/or Opryland if you are into country music (we're not); Graceland, Memphis, TN; and the gambling town of Tunica, MS 40 mi S of Memphis (good food and hotels with truck parking, try Sam's Town).

Driving: The worst road conditions we encountered were in Knoxville, where the biggest pothole of them all sits right underneath the mayor's re-election billboard. Other nominees for worst roads on this route include Little Rock/the entire state of Arkansas. Diesel was generally $2.50-$2.60/gal with unleaded being about the same or a few cents more. Look up the fuel stops (e.g. Flying J, Love's, T/A) before you go, because there can be significant distances until the next fueling opportunity, and if you have to buy diesel at a non-truck stop gas station, prices can be significantly higher.
Old Apr 2, 06, 6:49 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by mlbcard
I've done DC to St. Louis several times, both through WV and through Columbus. Going through Columbus is probably more straight-forward (and faster), but going through the mountains of WV is more fun.
Sorry, my mistake! When I saw the I-70 combo, I thought of CMH. I knew I-70 goes to BAL, and for me from NE, I meet I-70 in CMH. I did not think about I-64 through WV, as it's out of my way and I've never been on it (yet).
Old Apr 3, 06, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Thanks!

Thanks for all the help! Fortunately, I'm traveling in my car (I've rented a furnished apt) so I won't have the issues with a truck. Thanks for all of the good information on where ot stay and what to do!
Old Apr 3, 06, 8:23 am

Programs: United MP
66-81-64 Through WV gets kinda boring after a while. I'd take 70 to Columbus and go from there or 81 to 40 over going through WV on 64.

Search this Thread