Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever lost your wallet (all cash and credit cards) while traveling overseas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever lost your wallet (all cash and credit cards) while traveling overseas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:34 pm

Two episodes of stupidity...

First, landed in Mexico, ran to the ATM machine to get cash and didn't realize until I was at the hotel that I had taken the cash but left the debit card in the ATM machine. The hotel concierge called the airport and had someone go to the machine, but the card was gone. Had to call and report the card stolen. My accounts were frozen, replacement card could only be sent to my home address. Thank goodness this was Mexico and I could make $300USD last a week.

Second time my Iphone was pickpocketed in Berlin. A big old pain in the butt. No pictures in Berlin! The hardest part was getting it replaced when I got back home.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
While I've been lucky with pickpockets (only one attempt and between the five/six? of them they got nothing), my cousin was much less lucky and literally just dropped his wallet on the tram while visiting us with a... let's say large... amount of cash in it, all his cards, driver's license, etc. Thankfully, his passport was still there.

Luckily, this was one of the later trams of the night and after a few frantic calls we worked out that we could just head down to the tram depot and pick it up after 1am. So down we went and after talking to the guys at the security desk, we got a semi-guided tour of the Krakow tramyards and a few minutes discussion with everyone at the tramyard we recovered all his documents minus the cash. The credit cards were all blocked shortly thereafter. It was a very expensive tour, to say the least.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Happened to my Mom in the mid-90's. We (my brother, myself and I) were traveling with her in London and we stopped for dinner at an open air restaurant in Convert Garden. She had her bag draped around her chair and stood up to greet a friend who was dining with us. In the 10 seconds or so she stood up to hug him, someone snatched the bag. With it her cash, credit cards, sunglasses, baby photos of my brother back home, tissues etc. etc. and of course the bag, gone.

Luckily, we had the passports and paper tickets in the room as well as some cash so things were alright. We ended up spending a lot of time that night in a Metropolitan Police station and then plenty of time with Citibank branches the rest of the week canceling the cards. It was not much fun.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
I lost an envelope of money (most of my money) in Australia in a public park. It was an old envelope with my name on it that originally had a letter but was unsealed. I used it to put money inside and seal it.

Someone opened it, counted the money and wrote how much, then turned it in to the hospital, which was across the street from the park.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:12 am

Just ran into this, well my parents did, it's certainly a bad situation. However, there are things you can do to get back on track.

#1: Don't keep all of your important documents/money in one place. I.e. your wallet/purse. I'd go as far as saying identification is probably the most important. Keep copies of your documents in the hotel, photo copies or something of the sort. Worst case scenario, go the the U.S. Embassy for help, but they'll need some form of identification to know your a U.S. citizen.

#2: Have an AMEX credit card: Apparently VISA/Master Card come up short. In most countries you can walk into an AMEX office and get a card reissued. VISA will mail it to you, for example to SPAIN it would take 2 business days (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The most frustrating aspect of this is that the international number provided by VISA in case of emergency may not work. For example, my parents couldn't reach anyone from VISA in Spain.

#3: Have some backup at home travel with friends: In the end I was able to help out my parents via bank wire, thankfully they're staying with friends and had access to a phone and money.

#4: Emergency travel insurance: My company offers this service, some credit cards offer a limited level as a perk, travel guard Chartis.
http://www.travelguard.com/

If I was left with nothing, I'd find my way to the nearest nicest tourist hotel and ask the concierge for some help. I'm sure they could put you in contact with the right people to get you home safe.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:20 am

I have to agree that American Express is a good company to deal with. My wallet was picked on the last day of my trip in Buenos Aires. He was very good. The thief distracted me by tapping me on the shoulder, and pointing out an open seat. (It was mostly standing room only.) In that few seconds he took my wallet.

Fortunately my partner was with me and he still had his wallet. I insisted on continuing at least part of our itinerary that day. We decided to go to the Eva Peron museum, then had a nice lunch across the street. American Express offered to replace my card right away but we were leaving for home the very next day so I had them send it to my home address.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I guess I'm a member of the "Better safe than sorry" association, at least since the early 60s, when my grandfather presented me with a soft kidskin zippered pouch with a loop to fit over my belt while the pouch sat inside my waistband....Some cash, some TC, a copy of my passport, and a spare ID (no CCs but "gas cards" until '67 or so). A couple of pouches (Kidskin wears well and is light) and a lot of trips since, the contents now include cash, a spare CC and debit card, essentially a second wallet.

These days I travel lightly and informally, preferring Columbia's wash khakis, an extra zipper pocket on the right, and Velcro tabs in back. There's nothing like the sound of Velcro to alert one to a pickpocket.

All that prep, and no pickpockets (yet), Thankfully.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Yep ... everything, including tickets (still paper at the time), documents, monies, passports, credit cards, cameras etc.

While on vacation in Barbados and sound asleep with the AC humming, our hotel room was broken into; the thief(s) entered thru the sliding doors from the adjacent beach. They took everything they could lay their hands on in the darkness of the room at that time of night.
A special envoy of my country's Embassy had to fly in days later and issue laissez-passer's, while American Express saved us by issuing new cards and monies.
All in all it took another 10 days or so of delays to sort everything out and get back home.

The local police told us that the targeted items most likely were our passports - a common crime and highly valued at the time !

Last edited by Travelomania; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:31 am Reason: to add
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
If your visa or mastercard gets stolen or lost you can ring them and they promise to have a replacement with you within 48 hours. I dont know how true it is, anyone ever had the misfortune of trying it?
Had an AMEX card compromised (I think a hotel employee skimmed the number of the blank slip they had the card impression). I had recently arrived in Curacao for a six week work trip and the card was only for hotel and related travel expenses. Since it was my first week in Curacao, the hotel bill was not a concern nor was my daily expenses since that card was not something I relied on.

At first AMEX, just cancelled the fraudulent online charges made with the AMEX number but after the third one they cancelled the card. I think they promised to have a card to me in 24 hours shipped I think from Chicago.

They insisted that the card ship to my hotel(no DHL office pick up for me) even though I was pretty sure that is where the card got compromised.

It took 5 days to get the card in my hand.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. I always carry two extra "packages." First, is an extra bit of local currency in a separate pocket. This, just enough to get back to the hotel, buy a bottle of water or whatever. Second, I always travel with spare cash and have 3 CC's just in case.

2. Most hotels will send a car for you. Might be expensive, but if you're somewhere not good, a backup plan. They will also pay the taxi for the same reasons.

3. Nearest US Consulate can help with temporary travel document, but remember, it won't have visas in it. Unless there's a reason, don't carry your passport locally.

4. Use hotel safes. Have to remember that in some parts of the world, the cash one might carry is more than people earn in a year and a US / EU or similar passport is priceless.

5. Depending on where you are, hotels still cash checks, give cash advances, and there's always Western Union presuming you've got someone who doesn't want to be rid of you back home.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:04 am

Not a wallet, but 2 weeks ago I nearly had my camera backpack (expensive camera + expensive lenses) stolen on a train from Luxembourg to Brussels. I had the bag overhead, clearly in my field of view - the train was completely empty for a couple of hours until we neared Brussels where local commuters hop on and off.

As we approached a stop, a young guy comes up to me and distracts me with a map - in the 5 seconds it took me to say no and get him away, his accomplice grabbed my bag and started walking off the train. I did not notice the bag was gone for a few seconds until the first guy with the map walked away. Once I noticed it was gone I ran off the train (wife stayed in the train with our other bag).

By pure luck I ran the right direction and saw the thief running up some stairs with it. Fortunately the bag was heavy enough that he couldn't run very fast. He saw me coming, dropped the bag and took off. Managed to get back on the train (with my bag) as the doors were closing.

Next time I will keep it on my lap or cable tie it to our larger piece of luggage or something. I guess doing a lot of traveling in the 3rd world and not having any problems with theft caused me to let my guard down in this situation - I should have been more cautious and more aware that my attention was being diverted away from my property. Never again.

Last edited by tlott; Jun 17, 2012 at 8:09 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Yes. Both Visa and American Express were lost while traveling.
American Express sent via FedEx a replacement card to Australia where I was, whereas Visa also immediately sent out the replacement card........to my home address, as they WOULD NOT mail it to me in Australia.
American Express activated the card and got me cash so I wouldn't be stranded.
Visa.....there was nothing they could do because the card has to be activated from my home. Visa would not send a card to me in Australia.

American Express......Don't leave home without it....
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by tlott
Next time I will keep it on my lap or cable tie it to our larger piece of luggage or something.
I keep a carabiner attached to my backpack, sometimes it comes in handy if I need to hang it someplace, and I have also used it hook it to a seat or something else if I want to try preventing a grab and run. It is usually pretty inconspicuous if you connect it just right, and easy to connect and disconnect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.