Original Poster

Suggestions for a hotel in New York City

- Preferably costing about $200-400 a night
- Clean and safe
- Midtown location preferred, no Times Square

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:33 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
As this thread isn't related to technology I've moved it to the TravelBuzz forum where it's better suited. Please follow it there.

Jeff/Kanebear
Moderator : Travel Technology
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanebear
As this thread isn't related to technology I've moved it to the TravelBuzz forum where it's better suited. Please follow it there.
Wait, since when did I post this in Technology?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The Peninsula is really the best choice. Everyone is friendly and the rooms are great.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
The Peninsula is really the best choice. Everyone is friendly and the rooms are great.
I'm asking for a friend. The Peninsula is "too upscale" for her family.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by hairpeace
I'm asking for a friend. The Peninsula is "too upscale" for her family.
You mention 'family' - how many people and ages? If they might be interested in a suite-type property look at Manhattan East Suites. They are usually fairly moderately priced. The Kimberly is very nice also.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
I've had good luck at both the Omni and the Warwick. They are both very nice hotels and both should fit in that price range.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
If your are trying to get a family into a room, try the Doubletree Suites at Times Square. A big suite gets a bedroom with a twin/king bed and a double sofabed in the living room. Big bathroom kitchenette with mircowave and fridge. Its at the north-east corner of Time Square.

If you dont mind being split into 2 then the Renaissance at Time Square just across the road. The Marriott Marquis corner room are large if you want to squeeze in a spare bed of two and kids with love the glass escaltors zooming up and down the 40+ floors

The key is to book in advance as rooms around Time Square go fast. Also rooms prices go up as room availability decreases nearer the time
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn
If your are trying to get a family into a room, try the Doubletree Suites at Times Square. A big suite gets a bedroom with a twin/king bed and a double sofabed in the living room. Big bathroom kitchenette with mircowave and fridge. Its at the north-east corner of Time Square.

If you dont mind being split into 2 then the Renaissance at Time Square just across the road. The Marriott Marquis corner room are large if you want to squeeze in a spare bed of two and kids with love the glass escaltors zooming up and down the 40+ floors

The key is to book in advance as rooms around Time Square go fast. Also rooms prices go up as room availability decreases nearer the time
I agree, but the OP asked for no Times Square... The DoubleTree was originally an Embassy Suites. The kids would enjoy the elevators at the Marquis, but it is noisy. Times Square is not the dump it used to be if afraid of past reputation.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weblet
You mention 'family' - how many people and ages? If they might be interested in a suite-type property look at Manhattan East Suites. They are usually fairly moderately priced. The Kimberly is very nice also.
4 or 5 (daughter unsure whether she wants to work or not).

Originally Posted by weblet
Times Square is not the dump it used to be if afraid of past reputation.
I don't know their reasons, but will pass along the suggested Times Square locations, thanks to KenJohn.

Keep them coming!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:09 pm

Rihga Royal or Michelangelo. The former is all suites in midtown. They both were within your price range a few weeks ago when I stayed there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.