Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How close to a passport expiration date can you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How close to a passport expiration date can you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:02 am

The US has a treaty with a number of countries that states a passport is valid for 6 months after the expiration date. Not all countires have signed onto this treaty and some people are unaware of it so it may be safer to renew early but not 100% required.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone. After reading your posts, I went straight to the web and then the post office.

After a bit more research, you can make an appointment for same day renewal at a passport service center IF you are traveling within 14 days or need to apply for visas. (I ended up at the same site cpx provided -- thanks.) However, you MUST schedule in advance, and Chicago had something like a 12 day wait, which is cutting it really close.

I ended up doing expedited mail-in renewal service ($60 + express mail fees), which according to the application is 3 working days plus mailing time. I made the express mail deadline so it will be there Monday, and a gentleman at the post office who just renewed HIS passport said his regular renewal took less than a week. No doubt I will be checking the status of my passport online quite often ...

The reason I was so shocked is that my initial research on visas was done on websites that, oddly enough, made no mention of the 6 month requirement. Go figure.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:55 pm

pretty nice article about this topic here

Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid not only for the duration of your visit, but also for three to six months after your entry or return from their country. This means you have to check your passport expiration date carefully.
Also didn't know this

Many Middle Eastern and African countries will deny entry and refuse to issue a visa if your current passport contains an entry or exit stamp from Israel. If you are in this situation, you should apply for a new passport.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
It all depends on where you are traveling, but many countries have a rule that your passport must be valid for 6 months when you enter. You really ought to check this out thoroughly soon because otherwise you might be in for a nasty last-minute surprise. This database (maintained by IATA) has a lot of useful info:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

Thanks for this site. I would never have thought of this issue--I travel next week and my passport expires in November. Fortunately, I am not going to have a problem. I actually learned something about Switzerland from the site which was news to me: "If being on a business visit exceeding 8 days within a
consecutive period of 3 months, passenger should contact the
local Police Dept., Foreign Control." I learn something new every day!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ironic this came up. I just posted this as an entry to an e-newsletter for an org I belong to. I'm posting it here too because it also mentions visas etc.

Passports

Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid not only for the duration of your visit, but also for three to six months after your entry or return from their country. Also, some countries require visas (not the credit card kind!) in addition to passports. A source to find out what is required for a country you're visiting for either business or leisure is http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html .

If you travel internationally a lot & run out of passport pages, you can request additional ones. Some countries require at least 2 blank pages in order to enter. If you have upcoming travel & your passport expires soon, you can get expedited passport service (for a fee).

New passport rules are scheduled to take effect for travel to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada as of December 31, 2006 from the US (ie, a passport will be required for air/sea travel to those countries, & in 2007 for land travel as well). All US citizens must have their own passport; this includes newborns as well as children.

Also, be aware that many Middle Eastern and African countries will deny entry and refuse to issue a visa if your current passport contains an entry or exit stamp from Israel. When visiting Israel, they will offer you the option of having your passport stamped or an additional (insert) page stamped. If you think you'll be visiting a Middle Eastern country at some point, my recommendation would be to not have your passport stamped, but to go w/ the work-around solution.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.